Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Chainsaws

Thanks
    Thanked 11,317 Times in 4,988 Posts
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Honestly Kat Mate, we have a few varying size saws for different applications including milling with 880s & 660s.
    I truly believe the 460 size is a bit too heavy as a daily around the block for my whithering chicken legs now 40++ :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

katwoman (19th May 2019)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 5,352 Times in 3,170 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Always liked the Stihl. Got one that has been going well since back in '95.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to mudnut For This Useful Post:

katwoman (19th May 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,607 Times in 1,472 Posts
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Chainsaws

Steve has his dads jonsered which is a hundred years old, but big and heavy. His f$@&ed neck can’t handle it. I’m hoping in finding something between my mini boss and his ‘big boy’ saw. And I still want pink

Last edited by katwoman; 19th May 2019 at 10:59 PM.
    KATROL- The 2nd
    GU TD42TGi
    Not as pretty, but a whole lot tougher
    Silent member 1208
    Yes Michael, I bought a JEE.....60.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to katwoman For This Useful Post:

MB (19th May 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,317 Times in 4,988 Posts
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Finally found a PDF linky for you Kat, best I believe like Rossco to visit a local backup Stihl dealer nearby and get the on hands hold for what suits your liking/feel/needs.
    https://m.stihl.com.au/static/stihl-...-catalogue.pdf
    Mind you if a Husky dealer is by chance closest then why not as they apparently start after 1 crank instead of our 2 , traditional Husky users honestly say.
    Little 171’s are super light cool with a carving bar that needs serious tension observation during work and are awesome cheap with their 14” stock bar.

My personal MS381 is the best all round saw I honestly reckon we own, handles a 24” bar no problems wisely used too

Thanks
    Thanked 6,917 Times in 2,750 Posts
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    I truly believe the 460 size is a bit too heavy as a daily around the block for my whithering chicken legs now 40++ :-)

Yes do agree and wasnt really making a recommendation for Kats situation. If I can make any Stihl recommendations worth having a look at a MS261, great little saw in the small to mid size range. It is a pro saw and will cost more than a domestic saw but you can see where the money goes, they are built to run all day every day. Might be overkill for a domestic application but worth it I think & will last forever.

Otherwise have a look at Huskies, sure it will treat you well just can't give any advice on them. As for battery power for firewood collection don't think the run time is up there where it's generally flat out cutting could be proven wrong tho. Do have some good advantages especially camping / touring where you don't have to carry fuel and lower maintenance. Probably the best thing to do with a 2 strokes is to use it often things don't like to sit to long.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rossco For This Useful Post:

katwoman (20th May 2019), MB (20th May 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,891 Times in 3,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    Finally found a PDF linky for you Kat, best I believe like Rossco to visit a local backup Stihl dealer nearby and get the on hands hold for what suits your liking/feel/needs.
    https://m.stihl.com.au/static/stihl-...-catalogue.pdf
    Mind you if a Husky dealer is by chance closest then why not as they apparently start after 1 crank instead of our 2 , traditional Husky users honestly say.
    Little 171’s are super light cool with a carving bar that needs serious tension observation during work and are awesome cheap with their 14” stock bar.

My personal MS381 is the best all round saw I honestly reckon we own, handles a 24” bar no problems wisely used too

I have to agree the 381 is a weapon of a saw, has not let me down in any way and I have thrown some big wood at it. The little 171 goes like a pisser for its size too.

Mind you I’ve had the husky 235 for about 20 years and it’s never missed a beat and done shit loads of cutting...
    Unfortunately none of them come in pink

I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maxhead For This Useful Post:

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,717 Times in 2,675 Posts
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kat, I have 6 Stihl saws, ranging from 009. 009L 231 and an old 066. I find the 009 is a great top handle saw that you can cut all day with on logs up to 12" and its reliable as hell, but no longer avail to buy - was a pro saw in its day. I have 2, 009L which are the same config but slightly bigger capacity and same as the 009, cut with all day and will handle green timber better than the the 009, more torque. The 231 is 40Cc from memory and is my go to saw for camping running a 16" bar. Great power, very reliable, will cut in the heat and start everytime even when its smoking hot. The 066 has a number of bars from 16" to 36". I typically run it with the 16" only because when you front up to some old redgum tree it has the grunt to do the job, but to be honest, its too heavy for me as a long hourly use saw and boy does it drink the fuel. I would definitely not recommend a saw with the twist wheel chain adjuster, go the bar lock nuts every time. I have used my brothers 231L with this quick adjuster and hate it, fiddly and has broken once - could have been poor maintenance, and some people love them, but I will just say that none of the semi pro to pro stihl models run this config, so perhaps thats enough said. I understand the Husq's are also up there and may even surpass the Stihl. I found the Husq. a little heavier at times than the stihl on a comparative model basis - might be they use more alloy than plastic. I have destroyed 3 009 saws over the years and none the wiser why as each saw goes to the dealer after the equivalent of 3 trailer loads of wood for a service and I get great reliability, but its a bit dear at time. I have also owned an Echo saw, was the 60cc twin cylinder model - smooth as silk totally vibration free, but not a populare saw in the day and now discontinued. I sold it when Echo stopped supporting it with parts. Very heavy saw though. I have had great service out of the 231 and if I was to replace it would go to the 251 which is 45cc and this would probably be my best combo for a saw that will cut well and have some in reserve without breaking the back. Hope this helps.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,717 Times in 2,675 Posts
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also have one of the Makita 36V battery saws. Great little saw, will happily cut say 100 - 125mm hardwood, but you cant push it, or the battery life suffers badly. I have 2 batteries for the saw in use and 6 spares, plus carry the charger just in case. Its a great little saw for a couple of nights camp fire wood collection, spectacular in the snow as mo hassles getting it to start forst thing in the morning after its been freezing over night, light weight, cheap chains, highly rate it as the back up for a weekend camp saw and back up to the 231 on 4wd trips. I think @stevec first mentioned it for use on his remote trips. WE used it with success on a really tight set of tracks last year trying to fit @MB barge through the bush and its so light and easy to handle that its akin to a pruning saw perhaps. I looked at the Stihl rechargeable but the price was twice the makita at least and couldn't justify it based on the amount of use it would get. I understand the Stihl rechargeable is very popular for contractors doing maintenance works around nursing homes and hospitals.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,607 Times in 1,472 Posts
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks heaps. Was only looking at husky cos my local stihl dealer is a d!ck. The one I’m looking at has the 16 inch bar, bigger teeth on the chain and slightly bigger motor but still only weighs 4.4 kg. I’ll keep comparing.

KATROL- The 2nd
    GU TD42TGi
    Not as pretty, but a whole lot tougher
    Silent member 1208
    Yes Michael, I bought a JEE.....60.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,917 Times in 2,750 Posts
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)