User Tag List

Thread: Equaliser strap v's tree trunk strap

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Equaliser strap v's tree trunk strap

Can someone explain the difference to me please?
    I thought they were the same thing just used in different contexts.
    Now I see SC advertising both as separate items.
    Just bought my first winch and looking to get the right gear.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Technically speaking, an equaliser strap is a 'method' more so than a 'thing'
    Purpose made Tree trunk protectors are often shorter and can be significantly wider to give the best protection, others are a compromise.

Equalisers are often preferred to be narrow/skinny so the snatch block or shackle (if in use) or the hook, eye of the winch extension or eye of the snatch strap (if a single line pull) can move more freely to 'equalise' the load.

Having said that, in most cases they will be interchangeable if you use them within their rated capacity and watch the sling load angle.

FWIW I carry a 20mm x 4 metre length of Dyneema for equalising loads and not a strap

Bottom line is most people will carry one or the other and rarely both
    Last edited by the evil twin; 13th July 2017 at 01:17 PM.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,403 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just packed ours this morning. 1x equaliser strap & 1 x tree trunk protector. They are identical & were advertised as 'equaliser strap/tree protector'.

Speaking of straps I'm still not sure if I need to carry both snatch straps I have. An 8000kg & a 12000kg. I'd rather carry just the 8000kg one, but am uncertain how this might go if I ever need to be snatched with Tvan attached? (Max of around 5000kg)

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,261 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    Just packed ours this morning. 1x equaliser strap & 1 x tree trunk protector. They are identical & were advertised as 'equaliser strap/tree protector'.

Speaking of straps I'm still not sure if I need to carry both snatch straps I have. An 8000kg & a 12000kg. I'd rather carry just the 8000kg one, but am uncertain how this might go if I ever need to be snatched with Tvan attached? (Max of around 5000kg)
    Take them both mate. Last thing you want it to snap one and not have a spare. I snapped a brand new 8000kg strap a while back. Brand new! Luckily I have a spare to keep the recovery going.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,062 Times in 938 Posts
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post

If your strap rating is supposed to be 2-3 times the GVM, the 12000kg sounds like it may be the one to choose if you only took one, id still take both as you may need to recover a smaller vehicle, or at worst use the strap as a winch extension (not really what there designed for, but saved my bacon one time)
    <a href=http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j320/02ard/PatrolcomAvatar-1-1.jpg target=_blank>http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j3...Avatar-1-1.jpg</a>

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think of the strap as a "fuse" during a recovery. I would rather that the strap broke than a piece torn off either vehicle. I have only ever used an 8000 kg strap. If it breaks then maybe other options need to be looked at IMHO.