Thread: Steep downhill control of an RB30 Patrol

Thanks
    Thanked 5,350 Times in 3,168 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Steep downhill control of an RB30 Patrol

I have read how to descend steep hills in a diesel powered vehicle: 1st low range and do not touch the brakes.

After only having done a few easy drives on hilly / muddy tracks, I wish to learn how to tackle difficult terrain in an RB30 petrol powered Patrol.

Compared to the gearing used for a TB42, 1st gear behind the RB30 is very tall and engine braking is minimal, even in low range.

I have tried to descend some very steep, but short tracks locally, by using different methods.

Using just the engine, it revs to about 2500-3000 RPM before there is any noticeable braking effect.

Of course, by that time the speed is suicidal and I have had to apply the brakes so as not to smash into the bottom of the hill or bounce off the track.

I have also found that applying the hand brake when moving, even very slowly is not an option as it tries to grab and shudder violently.
    My advice is: not to follow my advice.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Fix the handbrake, Cobber... much, much safer and more control than wheel braking
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

Winnie (8th July 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Apart from the grabbing issue it works quite well, there is plenty of meat on the shoes and is within the specified limits, so what do you suggest is wrong with it?

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,546 Times in 1,116 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Drum out of round/needs machining?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Yendor For This Useful Post:

mudnut (6th July 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I will have to check that somehow.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 846 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mudnut,

Even in a Diesel, we have to dab the brakes every now and then to keep speeds under control ..... depending on the grade of the slope. My diesel will sometimes run out to 3000 rpm if I don't.

You may just have to do it a little more often.

I have never driven an RB30, but it must have some engine braking .... I just suspect that it would be at it's best around 4000 rpm which would make it just a little more disconcerting.
    GU PATROL 2011 Ti, with goodies...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by happygu View Post
    Mudnut,

Even in a Diesel, we have to dab the brakes every now and then to keep speeds under control ..... depending on the grade of the slope. My diesel will sometimes run out to 3000 rpm if I don't.

You may just have to do it a little more often.

I have never driven an RB30, but it must have some engine braking .... I just suspect that it would be at it's best around 4000 rpm which would make it just a little more disconcerting.
    Considering how tall 1st is, it is bloody frightening!

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you can get different gear ratio's for the low range transfer gearbox . its pricey though . probably more than 2 grand .

12. The Following User Says Thank You to nipagu7 For This Useful Post:

mudnut (6th July 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Not really an option due to cost.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Mudnut,

As you know I have an RB30 too. I have done quite a few steep hills, including some... interesting... wheel lifts (front and rear) in my rig. The below is just my experience with my rig. Handbrake issue first, I have applied it before and it did aid my braking somewhat with no shudder, so perhaps there is something to look at with yours? Contaminated surfaces perhaps?

As for engine braking, yep nothing like a diesel it but has reasonable engine braking. It's still faster than I'd like to be going sometimes, but I guess I have gotten used to it. I know what you mean with just how tall low first is, if you haven't driven one I don't think you can comprehend just how fast it will go in that gear.

At least in my experience with my GQ I have found that as I tip into a steep descent, even in low 1st it has a tendency to run on and the first couple of times I fairly shat as I thought it would run away, but once revs hit about 4000 (as happygu says above), it does pull it back into line a lot. Once I got used to it, I got relatively comfortable with some pretty steep hills. Mine at least doesn't seem to go above 4000/4500 or so, seems to mostly hold around there, sounds strange descending with that many revs but works. I will say that I tested several RB30 GQ's when I was shopping for mine, and some felt like they had less compression on road when gearing down, perhaps due to more engine wear? Maybe with one of those my experiences would have been different.

I did a lot of dry hills first and am still always careful on muddy ones. Depending on the hill and conditions I will sometimes use the brakes, particularly if there are steep entry drops or rock steps as it will not pull me up enough to avoid smashing the long range tank as it drops off (I have a dent in the tank to remind me)...

Overall mate, I think it will be a matter of what you are comfortable with in your vehicle. Always better to avoid injury or unnecessary damage I reckon.
    Last edited by Patrol'n; 6th July 2017 at 09:28 PM.
    93 GQ wagon, RB30, extractors, 2 inch tough dog lift, 5 spd, A/T KO2 32's, steel winch bar, rated recovery points, red arc dual battery set up, rhino roof racks, UHF etc etc. Slow and steady might not win the race but it gets me there eventually...

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Patrol'n For This Useful Post:

mudnut (6th July 2017)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast