Thread: A/T check light on, car won't start

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A/T check light on, car won't start

Took the beast to bunyip today and she performed extremely well until my confidence kicked in an attempted a big bog hole. Water coming in the front door etc. Until I got snatched out. After many attempts to get out, once I was out the a/T check light came on and then it seem to have gone into limp mode. I switched the car off hoping to reset the computer. Bad mistake. Car would not start, after multiple attempts to reset the computer by disconnecting the battery it finally kicked over but was still in limp mode. I drove it home to Cranbourne North and watched the temp on the transfer n seemed to stay at a reasonable temp. The car seemed fine to drive home accept that it was in limp mode. After getting it home I gave it a quick tub so it's easier to work on and then sprayed every electrical point with crc. I also disconnected the battery for over an hour but still won't start. Turn ignition and all lights come on and you can here the power running. The a/T check light still comes on. Could this b a computer fault, fuse or automatic position switch. The car has a built auto in it with a f250 super heavy duty transfer cooler. Please help as this seems like something pretty simple and the car seems to run fine when it's running

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,299 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I would try disconnecting the battery for a few hours and also letting it dry out preferably overnight. Then give it a try. If still the same I think you will have to get the codes read? Not much help sorry.
    2005 GU IV ST 3.0. Snorkel. Roof rack. Awning. Spots. Welded I/C. Dual batteries & VSR. UHF. Barn door hinge extension. Roof top spot lights. Rear drawers. 2" lift. NADS. EGT and boost gauges. Trans temp and water temp gauges. Provent 200 catch can. Rear ladder

And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called the human race. Lost in time. And lost in space... and meaning.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 4bye4 For This Useful Post:

Col.T (22nd May 2016)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah gonna disconnect it over night and hopefully the crc helps drying out the terminals

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,546 Times in 1,116 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    When it did start, was that by the key or did you hot wire the starter motor?

With the ignition switched on. Does the reverse light still work?

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yendor View Post
    When it did start, was that by the key or did you hot wire the starter motor?

With the ignition switched on. Does the reverse light still work?
    It started with the key, no hotwiring the starter motor.
    No the light does not work

Banned
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Check the fuses in the fuse box inside the vehicle. There should be one marked as AT control or something similar. I think it's either fuse 12 or fuse 24 but check all of them.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yendor View Post
    Check the fuses in the fuse box inside the vehicle. There should be one marked as AT control or something similar. I think it's either fuse 12 or fuse 24 but check all of them.
    The a/T control fuse is ok

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Muskee84 View Post
    The a/T control fuse is ok
    Did check that fuse, will have to check the rest tomorrow. Would b great if it started so I could run it to the mechanics tomorrow

Banned
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    How deep did the water get inside the vehicle?. The auto computer is mounted in the LHS kick panel. Did this get wet?

I would check the wiring under the vehicle that runs to the auto, just incase it was damaged by a stick of something when you were in the bog hole.

Have you tried starting it in neutral or even while moving the T-bar through the gears?

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will have to have a look and remove the kick panel, check all the wiring underneath. Seem to be fine. Sprayed it all with crc. Have tried through all the gears n still won't crank. The water came into lhs and came up high enough to go into the speaker but that's as high is it wen

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast