Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Temperature gauge needle jumping

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dpetersen,

Thanks for the detailed reply mate, I kinda feel a little bit better knowing I'm not the only one with this issue, yours sounds a fair bit worse than mine.

I'll be sure to let everyone know what I did if I manage to fix this bugger.

Cheers,
    Andrew

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,546 Times in 1,116 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There are two coolant temp sensors. The two wire one is for the ECU and the single wire one is for the gauge. It sounds like you are checking the wrong sensor.

Going by your symptoms I doubt it's a faulty sensor. Possibly a short to ground in the wire that runs between the gauge and the sensor or a faulty gauge.

I would start by checking for signs of damage to the engine bay wire harness. Start at the temp sensor and follow the harness. Has any work recently been done to the engine?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yendor View Post
    There are two coolant temp sensors. The two wire one is for the ECU and the single wire one is for the gauge. It sounds like you are checking the wrong sensor.

Going by your symptoms I doubt it's a faulty sensor. Possibly a short to ground in the wire that runs between the gauge and the sensor or a faulty gauge.

I would start by checking for signs of damage to the engine bay wire harness. Start at the temp sensor and follow the harness. Has any work recently been done to the engine?

G'day mate,

My sincerest thanks for the response, and it's got me excited to know that I've more than likely missed this bugger completely. I know where the sensor is with those two wires coming from the front of the block, but could you please tell me where the 'single wire' one is for the gauge please? A photo would be amazing if possible...

There hasn't been any work on the engine done lately, unfortunately due to work, it was actually the first time I've taken the truck out off the black top for a long time.

Thanks heaps in advance,
    Andrew

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,546 Times in 1,116 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This is the best I can do. Connector E235 is what you are after. Connector E219 is the one I think you were checking.

You could also try the old hit the top of the trick when it's playing up and see if this changes the reading.

Gauge sensor.jpg

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Yendor For This Useful Post:

GUDriver (19th May 2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    AWESOME!!! Thanks mate. I'll give this a crack and let everyone know how it goes.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day fellas,

After stuffing around with a disabled truck for three weeks trying to figure this bugger out, it's finally fixed!!!

My many thanks to everyone who contributed, and in particular, to Yendor for leading me on the right path for the final part of the problem.

I ended up having a few problems, including the dreaded flashing airbag light, but to help everyone up, when I finish putting the truck together I'll write up a bit of a cheat sheet with photos I took along the way to help the next poor bugger out with the same problem.

Cheers again,
    Andrew

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rainman01 For This Useful Post:

Touses (24th April 2016), Yendor (25th April 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dpetersen View Post
    Mate I have the same model patrol and exactly the same problem. What I found with mine was if I turn the headlights on itd go up a little bit, high beams a little more and a/c on aswell and it would jump strait up to boiling. Especially when I'm on a bumpy road with no lights or anything on it'll jump strait up to boiling as well. The only thing I have found so far to temporarily fix it is tapping the cluster and if that doesn't work I have to pretty much punch the dash until it drops back down. It's defiantly an electrical issue. Mine is exactly the same, only the temp gauge plays up, everything else is normal. I have cleaned the main earth strap and didn't make a difference. If you find out a way to fix it let me know as mine has been doing it for nearly two years now!
    All your problems sound earth related as well. not sure on Patrols but on
    Toyo's there was an earth strap for every section of the vehicle.
    I just re-did one when I replaced the radiator, as Mudski says these Patrols
    are famous for their earth issues, a few extra wont hurt lol
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rainman01 View Post
    G'day fellas,

After stuffing around with a disabled truck for three weeks trying to figure this bugger out, it's finally fixed!!!

My many thanks to everyone who contributed, and in particular, to Yendor for leading me on the right path for the final part of the problem.

I ended up having a few problems, including the dreaded flashing airbag light, but to help everyone up, when I finish putting the truck together I'll write up a bit of a cheat sheet with photos I took along the way to help the next poor bugger out with the same problem.

Cheers again,
    Andrew
    Hi Andrew,

I seem to be facing similar problems, any chance of getting the write up/photos?

Cheers

Phil

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gday Phil,

I haven't written everything up yet, I still intend to do so but the bugger has had a couple of hiccups since I thought I had it fixed.

I'm waiting right now for a new thermal transmitter to arrive which I'm 99% confident will fix the issue since I've already fixed the wiring.

Forgive the question, but do you have a multi-meter and the ability to check resistance along your wiring? I can lead you in the right direction as a short term fix.

Cheers,
    Andrew

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Andrew sorry i missed your reply. Yes i have a multimeter and can check resistance. My problem at the moment is that my temp will sit at high regularly sometimes it will show the engine is warm when i go to start the car in the morning. My main fuel gauge is also not working showing off the chart full most of the time. And my tacho doesn't work at all. Any help would be great as i have been battling this for ages, including new battery, extra earth straps etc.. Cheers Phil

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12