Thread: Radius arm spacers

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool Radius arm spacers

Gday blokes, has anyone put radius arm spacers in before? how is the easiest way? cheers

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmytb45 View Post
    Gday blokes, has anyone put radius arm spacers in before? how is the easiest way? cheers
    Hi mate. fairly easy to do. a bit of stuffing around. you need to secure the front diff from rolling forward so chock it and maybe strap it. Axle stands under the chassis rail on both sides to take the weight of the car. Strap the axle before removing teh radius arms as the sprung weight will want to roll forward. Or jack teh car up to the spring droop. Tie rod off.

I have a set of spacers in the shed if your chasing some. I run Drop boxes in both cars and dont need them. Brand New and unused. I bought them for a build but went straight to drop boxes.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok so jack car up, put axel stands on chassis rail, info one side tie rod and then strap diff to axel stands and chock wheels.. wheels need to be on ground right? So when I undo the radius arm is it huge force pulling diff forward ? Thanks for the offer but I got a set. Thanks any mate 😃

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmytb45 View Post
    Ok so jack car up, put axel stands on chassis rail, info one side tie rod and then strap diff to axel stands and chock wheels.. wheels need to be on ground right? So when I undo the radius arm is it huge force pulling diff forward ? Thanks for the offer but I got a set. Thanks any mate 😃
    Given the axle stands are holding up the car and your going to be getting under it i would not be strapping back to eh axle stands. Strap back to the Gearbox cross member of the chassis crossover will be find. Ratchet straps for the win. Remember though you will want the front diff to move forward slightly to allow for eh spacer. A second person will be welcome.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,006 Times in 565 Posts
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @MudRunnerTD I could take those spacers off you mate if suits. If you prefer, PM me the details Darren. Just dust them off, could post or just bring them to Licola mate.

Hate the clearance with 33s to bottom flare arch(2" lift), do not use front flaps but like to get clearance to run my front chains(still be tight though I guess). Do miss the FJ45 for that.
    2008 GU WAG ST Manual CRD - To do the job

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bidja For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (10th June 2019)

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,674 Times in 2,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I installed the 12mm spacers and my 33's still catch on the mudflaps, especially as they have 22yrs of mangling and dont sit dead straight. Apart from that no difference in the drive feedback.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    question, what is the reason for these spacers?
    sounds like the allow clearance for large wheel any other things they do?
    like for wheel alignment or drivablility?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PeeBee View Post
    I installed the 12mm spacers and my 33's still catch on the mudflaps, especially as they have 22yrs of mangling and dont sit dead straight. Apart from that no difference in the drive feedback.
    Might end up cutting away the bottom inner section of flare (plastic gunk), no stock mud flaps now and might fix some rubber flap to side steps one day. The clearance is a joke.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Bidja For This Useful Post:

PeeBee (11th June 2019)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @Fireblade Yeah bit of clearance and coils would drop squarer off towers (not much change for 2" lift).
    Don;t thinks would change alignment geometry.
    Driveability??? @PeeBee mentioned
    no difference in the drive feedback

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Bidja For This Useful Post:

PeeBee (11th June 2019)