Page 49 of 64 FirstFirst ... 39474849505159 ... LastLast

Thread: Rosscos GQ Rejuvenation

Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Racor do a good separator filter. Leave the standard one in place and run the racor before it. They can come with the switch to warn you when the water level is up there. Also if you havent already run a lift pump. A carter 4600 or 4601. Down close to the tank.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nissannewby For This Useful Post:

MB (25th September 2018), Rossco (25th September 2018)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,674 Times in 2,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rossco, I run a large dia. CAV wire mesh filter fitted with a 25 micron strainer mesh. This is on the outlet of the main tank - 147L one. There is a small RYCO in line filter between the aux belly tank and the main tank - I have a standard size CAV 296 filter unit ready to replace this when I get a chance - the little one does the job as it does not see much volume. The little RYCO is before the transfer pump in order to protect it. The transfer pump is a relative cheapie off ebay for circa $50 and Im carry a spare.

The Chev is fitted with an in-line lift pump before the injector pump, located approx under the drivers seat, which is a bit too far away from the fuel tanks in my view. The lift pump is protected with a small RYCO in line filter like the transfer pump in the rear. From the discharge of the lift pump, fuel gets finally filtered and water separated via a CAV 296 single filter unit with glass bowl. I carry a spare lift pump and spare inline RYCO units at all times.

I initially installed a CAV296 unit in the position of the 25micron strainer set, however the lift pump could not pull thru it. The lift pump is the one that BD supply and is rated at 75LPM, 16PSI outlet pressure, but be warned its entirely possible to over pre-filter and create too much suction loss from tank to injector pump - I know because my initial system failed - was starving, so the strainer is now in place to catch the debris and any globs. I did find also that the discharge line had a large constriction of muddy build-up from 20 years use, right on a sharpish metal tube bend. Flow from the second tand was so dismal the engine would stall when running just on that tank, so I converted the fuel system to a sub tank transfer to main and resolved it.

When I did this work I dumped all the fuel, and flushed both tanks out with 20L fresh diesel. There was a considerable amount of dirt and sludge that came out. I further flushed with 10L of kero, then let it all drain, reassembled with final system above and no problems since. I change the CAV fuel filters every 5000klm and the small in-line RYCO units after 2 x 4WD trips - simply good insurance.

I don't have an electrical switch indicator - simply not avail in this model. Whilst I am yet to get a belly of crook fuel, I think the style recommended by @nissannewby is good as it will give you the warning in advance of trouble and when you are sitting in the car and cruising along - mine needs to be checked visually and this is a weakness as I will find out about water probably as the car splutters to a stop. I think I would try drawing thru the Racor unit and see if the lift pump can handle the suction loss. If yes, then you have max protection for lift pump and system. If not, I would install a small free flowing in-line Ryco before the lift pump, and pump thru the Racor unit. You just need to keep an eye on the contamination build-up in the small RYCO as the filtration area is small.
    Last edited by PeeBee; 25th September 2018 at 09:02 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

Rossco (25th September 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,915 Times in 2,749 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers guys that's awesome, certainly some food for thought. So guessing lift pump is needed as extra filtration means more restriction / reduction in flow. Have a little ryco in line between sub and main and after main at the mo. Racor does look good will look into these a bit more like the idea of a warning when you need it.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the ryco is a short term/duration filter solution, not a lot of filter area and certainly no capability to separate water from fuel contamination. If you change the ryco frequently it is going to work, but I use them as sacrificial elements to take the load of the finer filters/more expensive filters, and yes they have minimal pressure drop because their filtration level is coarse.

As I said in the earlier post, you would need to suck it and see if the lift pump can draw thru the additional filter or if it needs to be after the pump - the lift pump should be able to provide the pressure boost to the main injector pump, however you would need to validate that - I dont have the specs on the pump recommended to you, but pumps 'typically' perform better with filters on the discharge side and strainers on the inlet side, unless the filter is correctly sized for the duty and the pressure drop. Either way you need to consider protection of the lift pump as well.

Having the indication feedback is the winning criteria I think. I would consider a direct replacement of the factory setup myself with the Racor if the filtration level is on par rather than adding the additional unit in line. I don't know the root reason why the lift pump is being recommended when the engine has run for 400K+ klm so far and note needed it?
    Last edited by PeeBee; 26th September 2018 at 09:37 AM.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

MB TD42 (3rd October 2018), Rossco (26th September 2018)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bit of an update but finally picked up the old GQ the other day from Cornells. Tanks nice and clean and glad to get the sub one professionally cleaned and sealed as was rusty from the days it was a belly tank on dual fuel and probably sat with a dribble of petrol in it most its life, so guess that's a positive to come out of this lol. Also got the injectors tested, were spraying ok but a fair difference in opening pressure so they're sorted now too.

Was very good to drive the thing again, they are an awesome old bus although still the issue of no power down low seems to be starting ok but.

Filled up the main and noticed the bloody thing leaking when I got back so will get them to have a look at that when i get this pump on and back for a tune, some things are never easy lol! . . .

10. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Rossco For This Useful Post:

AB (17th October 2018), Bidja (17th October 2018), GQtdauto (17th October 2018), MB (17th October 2018), MudRunnerTD (18th October 2018), mudski (17th October 2018), PeeBee (17th October 2018), Stropp (18th October 2018), Touses (18th October 2018), Woof (17th October 2018)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Picked up the old bannga from Cornells and far out pretty happy lol. Fair increase in power & torque, more than i expected as i thought they were going to err well on the safe side of things! Anyway it's under 700nm which I'm happy with safety wise (just!) definitely don't want to go any further but has more potential to give. Low down pull is a Maaaaaasive increase to what it was and has erased any doubts I had that that was the way it was and was normal, response and pull from idle is frick'n awesome! ! Anyway just been driving it like a grandma so far but it's sooooo much more driveable now, can just cruise and it munches up hills with ease. So far egts and temp been very low. . .

12. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Rossco For This Useful Post:

AB (27th November 2018), GQtdauto (27th November 2018), Hodge (27th November 2018), MudRunnerTD (27th November 2018), mudski (27th November 2018), PeeBee (27th November 2018), Plasnart (27th November 2018), Reddave (27th November 2018), rusty_nail (27th November 2018), Winnie (27th November 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,386 Times in 6,250 Posts
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    That is an awesome result Rossco and I am so glad you are over those issues now! It definitely was not right driving it before and it would be a totally different beast now!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Winnie For This Useful Post:

GQtdauto (27th November 2018), Rossco (27th November 2018)

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good outcome Rossco, did they resolve the fuel tank leak or have you sorted that out?

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,095 Times in 3,139 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Nice Rossco. Sounds like she's running just right now.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk
    2005 TD42TI

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Hodge For This Useful Post:

Rossco (27th November 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thats a great result mate. What did they have tonsay about it? Where they familiar with the BW? Is that comparison run your run on day one using the other pump? That is nearlly embarassing if thats the best old mate could get from his own pump!!!

Interesting. We should have a chat mate
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

Rossco (27th November 2018)

Page 49 of 64 FirstFirst ... 39474849505159 ... LastLast