Page 26 of 51 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Thread: Building the 'expedition' box - looking for ideas and input

Thanks
    Thanked 11,246 Times in 4,952 Posts
    Mentioned
    469 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They’re absolutely perfect for interstate work travel too Ben mate!
    Bought a great little collapsible trolley to help getting around at either end without being ripped off by airport pay trolleys

Perfect size for the conveyor trays is a bonus!

Nested together the third box as I’ll be hauling back more than the inbound leg.

Could quite easily fit 6 if needed in the back of an SV6 hire wagon which could be handy!

You’re seals are amazing mate, check out this quick video of the pressure retained from 30,000’ + travel and the box handled it no sweat
    https://youtu.be/NiTL2D6SpaQ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

Clunk (2nd December 2018), FNQGU (2nd December 2018), MudRunnerTD (17th December 2018)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,653 Times in 591 Posts
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome! Thanks for that, hugely appreciated. And I'd been meaning to video that seal after a flight too! Just forgot last time I flew back from Bris to Cairns.

That idea with the collapsible trolley is also a beauty. Think I'll be finding one of those myself.
    Last edited by FNQGU; 2nd December 2018 at 06:07 PM.
    Between Patrols ATM. Had a beaut GU with 6.5 Chev TD. Next is a GU ute with a 4.5 litre Cummins conversion and a camper on the back.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to FNQGU For This Useful Post:

MB (2nd December 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,962 Times in 3,376 Posts
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    They’re absolutely perfect for interstate work travel too Ben mate!
    Bought a great little collapsible trolley to help getting around at either end without being ripped off by airport pay trolleys

Perfect size for the conveyor trays is a bonus!

Nested together the third box as I’ll be hauling back more than the inbound leg.

Could quite easily fit 6 if needed in the back of an SV6 hire wagon which could be handy!

You’re seals are amazing mate, check out this quick video of the pressure retained from 30,000’ + travel and the box handled it no sweat
    https://youtu.be/NiTL2D6SpaQ

OK so how do you prove and market the obviously excellent performance of these seals? At 30k feet above sea level (if that what MB got to MEL-HOB) the seals let slip slightly, because when MB opened them up at sea level there was a negative pressure inside. That means that during the ascent phase of that flight the seals were pushed past their maximum pressure differential limit, and then during descent sucked back in the same amount of pressure beyond their limit. But there was still a very obvious "suck in" when MB opened the boxes back at sea level so they are genuinely good seals. If these were my boxes, I'd put a pressure monitor in an empty one on a flight (or in a decompression chamber) to record the elevation these seals work to, to prove their performance. For instance (and hypothetically), the seals may have been tight to 20k feet before pressure dropped inside the box (i.e. the seals let go). Then when the plane descended the pressure that was lost during ascent re-entered through the seals back to their maximum withholding limit. When MB opened them at sea level there was a big difference in air pressure, that's why you heard the suck. Need to measure that pressure differential to prove and market the seal capabilities. If you did this you could legitimately say no dust ingress from the top of Mt Kosciusko (7,310') to the Lake Eyre basin (-30') and prove it! Ben, this box is a ripper IMO and well done!

What is the charge? Eating a meal? A succulent Chinese meal??

7. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Plasnart For This Useful Post:

AB (4th December 2018), FNQGU (2nd December 2018), Maxhead (2nd December 2018), MB (2nd December 2018), mudnut (8th December 2018), Winnie (2nd December 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Uummmm... the Cargo/Baggage Compartments are pressurised on todays planes same as the people bit...

Lowest Cabin pressure is normally 8,000 feet but latest generation (777 etc) are now down to 6,000 feet in most circumstances.

Still a good -ve pressure test for seals tho
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

FNQGU (2nd December 2018), MB (3rd December 2018), Plasnart (2nd December 2018)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the evil twin View Post
    Uummmm... the Cargo/Baggage Compartments are pressurised on todays planes same as the people bit...

Lowest Cabin pressure is normally 8,000 feet but latest generation (777 etc) are now down to 6,000 feet in most circumstances.

Still a good -ve pressure test for seals tho
    And I thought I was a plane nerd. Got a lot of learning still to do thanks ET.

Now...back to my Captain Joe YouTube vids!

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Plasnart For This Useful Post:

AB (4th December 2018), MB (3rd December 2018), Rossco (4th December 2018), the evil twin (2nd December 2018)

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,653 Times in 591 Posts
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haha, and here I was thinking we did technical stuff with seals... I know nutting!

Actually, you will notice if you drive up any sort of reasonable elevation that you will get that sort of effect. It is why we've been mucking around testing these Goretex vents. However, at about $15ea, we aren't yet convinced they are a worthwhile addition unless someone really wants to buy and install themselves. Which is easy as it is just a half-inch hole to be drilled. The vent itself has a thread which screws through the wall of the tub, and then a locking nut on the back. There is also an O-ring that compresses against the outside wall of the tub for a water tight fit.

They certainly deal with that sort of pressure effect quite well.
    Between Patrols ATM. Had a beaut GU with 6.5 Chev TD. Next is a GU ute with a 4.5 litre Cummins conversion and a camper on the back.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FNQGU For This Useful Post:

MB (3rd December 2018), Plasnart (2nd December 2018), the evil twin (2nd December 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasnart View Post
    And I thought I was a plane nerd. Got a lot of learning still to do thanks ET.

Now...back to my Captain Joe YouTube vids!
    ROFL... 21 Years as a Techo in the RAAF means I am all but cured of "Plane Nerding" cobber...

My interests these days is mostly restricted to military aviation historical stuff (like me I spose).

But... I do have one word of advice... if your going to get on a plane (military or civvy) check if it has a big eff off kangaroo painted on it .
    So far those ones with the 'Roo on 'em have meant you get to walk off at the other end rather than getting smeared over half the planet or burnt to a crisp
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

AB (4th December 2018), FNQGU (2nd December 2018), MB (3rd December 2018), Plasnart (2nd December 2018)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the evil twin View Post
    ROFL... 21 Years as a Techo in the RAAF means I am all but cured of "Plane Nerding" cobber...

My interests these days is mostly restricted to military aviation historical stuff (like me I spose).

But... I do have one word of advice... if your going to get on a plane (military or civvy) check if it has a big eff off kangaroo painted on it .
    So far those ones with the 'Roo on 'em have meant you get to walk off at the other end rather than getting smeared over half the planet or burnt to a crisp
    Yup this could be it's own thread in General Banter. I agree persactly after reading QF31 book.

Edit: Err...make that QF32!
    Last edited by Plasnart; 2nd December 2018 at 08:37 PM.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Plasnart For This Useful Post:

MB (3rd December 2018)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FNQGU View Post
    Haha, and here I was thinking we did technical stuff with seals... I know nutting!

Actually, you will notice if you drive up any sort of reasonable elevation that you will get that sort of effect. It is why we've been mucking around testing these Goretex vents. However, at about $15ea, we aren't yet convinced they are a worthwhile addition unless someone really wants to buy and install themselves. Which is easy as it is just a half-inch hole to be drilled. The vent itself has a thread which screws through the wall of the tub, and then a locking nut on the back. There is also an O-ring that compresses against the outside wall of the tub for a water tight fit.

They certainly deal with that sort of pressure effect quite well.
    Take one down to the local diver recovery joint and pay for a quick decompression mate. Would be great to have a definitive readout on pressure capabilities.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Plasnart For This Useful Post:

FNQGU (2nd December 2018), MB (3rd December 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,246 Times in 4,952 Posts
    Mentioned
    469 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good to know gents, great learning here as always! Strong boxes for sure and to be fair my seal safely blew at full cruising altitude too, thought it was inflight bean salad Assisted at the time :-)

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

Plasnart (3rd December 2018), the evil twin (3rd December 2018)

Page 26 of 51 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast