Thread: Which tablet? 2024 edition

Thanks
    Thanked 6,883 Times in 3,670 Posts
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Which tablet? 2024 edition

Hi all, looking at getting a tablet for navigation. I've had a read through some older threads but asking again as there's no doubt more options now. I'm sticking with Android with Sim and I'll use the tablet for general navigation in TAS but also daily for note taking for work (this will just be a simple diary app, and email). I'm a bit confused on the following:
    Do all Sim ready tablets have the same kind of reception? Do they all have gps? I'm more interested in getting good gps outside of mobile coverage.

Any suggestions would be great.

.......from under the great down under.
    Hello from Under Down Under!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to taslucas For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (15th February 2024)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 4,717 Times in 2,491 Posts
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know the iPad needs the ability to have a sim for offline maps to work, just download them all.
    2003 gu3 td42tdi sold 😞 bloody gvm towing crap. Bt50 3500kg gvm.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Stropp For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (17th February 2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yeah iPad needs to be a Cellular capable, no Sim required, just capable. I believe the android have ability for GPS regardless and no sim required. I am on the same journey right now Lucas and have not made a final decision. Physical Size and capacity is also important. I'm thinking a 10" is about the right size and at least 256gb i reckon as some of the Map files can be gigantic. I will follow this thread for sure.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

Stropp (15th February 2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,286 Times in 492 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Regardless of the internal memory size, if the tablet has the possibility to use external memory cards is a plus IMO, this could mean one extra breath when it reaches its presumed end of life.

Muddy, where and how would you mount such screen? I can't read anything (AKA can't read and get pissed-off realizing I'm getting older) on my navigation SW on the mobile hanging on its screen suction-cup-holder when it wobbles due to pavement corrugations.
    1997 Blue Nissan Patrol Y60 blacktop TD42 - Honey Badger (build thread)
    2006 White Nissan Patrol Y61 TB45 - G-Unicorn (build thread)
    1997 Red Suzuki Samurai Canvas Top SJ413 - Tatui
    2005 White Toyota Landcruiser FZJ105 - Stormtrooper

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BrazilianY60 For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (15th February 2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,883 Times in 3,670 Posts
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Id like to understand the basics of how they use GPS / satellite / cellular tower triangulation etc to find location. Ie; a car GPS has no Sim, uses no cell tower coverage but has an accurate location as long as it can see the satellites in the sky. A mobile phone has GPS but relies on cell tower to help find location with some seeming better than others at doing this when there's no cell coverage.

Hello from Under Down Under!

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,735 Times in 2,685 Posts
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought the Samsung S7 from memory, cant find the box or get it out of the RAM tablet holder - one of modern lifes mysteries. It has the built in gps function, is a 8" x 6" screen from memory, beautiful screen and I bought the largest RAM capacity and HD they have, was around $700 I think

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (15th February 2024), taslucas (16th February 2024)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by taslucas View Post
    Id like to understand the basics of how they use GPS / satellite / cellular tower triangulation etc to find location. Ie; a car GPS has no Sim, uses no cell tower coverage but has an accurate location as long as it can see the satellites in the sky. A mobile phone has GPS but relies on cell tower to help find location with some seeming better than others at doing this when there's no cell coverage.

Cell towers are not used for location from a user viewpoint. Don't believe everything you see on TV shows, although a provider has the ability to do a very rough location by using the currently active cells and relative signal strengths. That function is not available to the user. GPS provides the location by locating from multiple satellites and some fancy maths on the very accurate relative times involved. The more satellites, the better the location accuracy. No SIM is required for GPS. Smart devices may use cell data to assist with things like maps (or maybe they are available off-line like in your GPS navigator, etc) so they can display your location on a pretty map rather than just a set of coordinates which is all the basic GPS unit provides by way of location.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Brissieboy For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (15th February 2024), PeeBee (15th February 2024), taslucas (16th February 2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,286 Times in 492 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Almost that Brissie.
    GPS you nailed it. But cell towers broadcast their GPS exact location so a mobile can also do the math to calculate the position using multiple cell tower signals as a reference. This is usually less power consuming for the mobile and the operating system (android for one) likes it to keep the user experience of a longer life device. In a crowded city with lots of cell towers, this is quite efficient.

Out in the bush, with one very distant cell tower signal only, there is no way to do it, then GPS is the only tool at hand for the operating system.

So, in a nutshell, cell tower signal is not mandatory nor required, but the tabled/mobile operating system surely likes it.
    1997 Blue Nissan Patrol Y60 blacktop TD42 - Honey Badger (build thread)
    2006 White Nissan Patrol Y61 TB45 - G-Unicorn (build thread)
    1997 Red Suzuki Samurai Canvas Top SJ413 - Tatui
    2005 White Toyota Landcruiser FZJ105 - Stormtrooper

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BrazilianY60 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,920 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got an old Samsung tablet no sim and the GPS is generally really good. All maps are offline so not a problem but can hotspot the phone to use Google maps in the city if I want. You can get an external WiFi GPS reciever too but never really had the need with mine. . It's a 10" unit and pretty happy with that size

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rossco For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BrazilianY60 View Post
    Regardless of the internal memory size, if the tablet has the possibility to use external memory cards is a plus IMO, this could mean one extra breath when it reaches its presumed end of life.

Muddy, where and how would you mount such screen? I can't read anything (AKA can't read and get pissed-off realizing I'm getting older) on my navigation SW on the mobile hanging on its screen suction-cup-holder when it wobbles due to pavement corrugations.
    So I have a very early iPad with Cellular maybe 15 years old that I did a jail break on and loaded up hacked version of Hema that had been nearly faultless. I have bread crumbed most of my travels. It has been awesome but it's very old and screen quality has come a long way and I'd like to upgrade to an Android Tab now as I'm fully Android.

In the GUIV I had installed a RAM mount in the back of the little compartment where the factory GPS goes and the ipad sat really well there as it sat in the pen slot well.

In the GQ I have screwed a RAM Mount to the steel panel beside the glove box and it sits there perfectly and I xan see the map easily. The Y62 has been a little more challenging but I think I have solved that too, only this week gone. I found a thread in a u62 owners group on FB. A guy has used a CD Slot mount to mount an Ipad. He tried a heap of options including Suction cup to windscreen and magnet mounts and the CD slot was the winner with virtually no vibration. 8 have bought one last week and have not yet used it but I believe it will be a winner for sure.

Being a Tablet you can set the font size to whatever suits yoy so it should be a winner.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

BrazilianY60 (16th February 2024), taslucas (16th February 2024)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast