Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,653 Times in 591 Posts
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Todd, much appreciated!

We smashed out about a hundred boxes in 3 different materials for final testing, and we'll be drinking beers in the bush doing this over the next few weeks to make the final decisions. Pretty sure we know which one we'll go for as a General Purpose box, but we are also testing a pretty advanced material that is super strong. Just not sure it will be worth it as yet but it is bloody tough. At the moment we are thinking through the idea of doing two products. One as a GP model and one as a Pro model with the advanced material.

The GP box is bloody tough though. We've had two blokes standing on the lid and it has held up. I've also stood full weight on the long side of the box and it has bounced back into form and held the seal. Drove a truck over one too, but it collapsed eventually. The factory guys reckon the advanced material will however cope with the weight of a vehicle which is something we are about to test for ourselves.

The glass reinforced version was my favourite, but had a couple of difficulties that came about from the stiffness.

Pricing is still the biggest question getting asked and we are really hoping to be able to make the GP model come in at around the hundred and ten dollar mark, give or take. Freight is a bitch though but we're trying our best to work something affordable and reasonable for everyone and let us send it Australia wide until we find possible retailers who are interested in selling it for us.

Our reckoning is that we'll kick of a discounted pre-production sale program as soon as we settle on the material and can nail the price.

Never done this before - it is first crack at making an idea a reality, so fingers crossed, and all feedback is welcome.

If anyone wants to follow the story or understand a bit more about it, we have a website (in my signature block) and a Facebook page providing updates. When we go live with sales there will be another page link that I'll post up for those interested.
    Last edited by FNQGU; 5th August 2018 at 07:56 PM.
    Between Patrols ATM. Had a beaut GU with 6.5 Chev TD. Next is a GU ute with a 4.5 litre Cummins conversion and a camper on the back.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to FNQGU For This Useful Post:

Clunk (30th August 2018), MB (30th August 2018), MudRunnerTD (31st August 2018), NissanGQ4.2 (5th August 2018), PeeBee (5th August 2018), Plasnart (30th August 2018)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 11,315 Times in 4,988 Posts
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Exciting times ahead, please do keep us posted on here Ben mate, Facebook I aint on :-)
    In the midst of reconfiguring the old utes storage, many Rhino boxes seals all but gone and most hardware rivots have chewed out the LLDPE construction beyond upsizing fresh rivots!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

FNQGU (30th August 2018)

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We're a go!

Just finished testing mate. Making a srengthening tweak to the latches as we speak (so they grab a bit better) and we're done.

If you are interested, you can log onto the website and get in early. www.expedition134.com, or via our blog website openskytouring.com and follow the link. Pre-order pricing at 89 bucks to help us hit our production target, then they'll be 109. We are going to cop the freight mostly and try to get them out with a $10 freight charge to anywhere in Aus. Might not be doable for the longer term, but see how it goes to start with.

I am about to write up a bit more on the testing and edit up another short video on how they turned out. Unfortunately, paid job gets in the way still so I'm back in the jungle for a few weeks.

A huge thanks to everyone on here for the suggestions and help. It has been a huge challenge, hopefully it hits the mark.
    Between Patrols ATM. Had a beaut GU with 6.5 Chev TD. Next is a GU ute with a 4.5 litre Cummins conversion and a camper on the back.

7. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to FNQGU For This Useful Post:

AB (31st August 2018), Avo (31st August 2018), Clunk (30th August 2018), Maxhead (1st September 2018), MB (30th August 2018), MudRunnerTD (31st August 2018), neet_wagon (9th October 2018), NissanGQ4.2 (31st August 2018), the evil twin (31st August 2018), Woof (1st September 2018)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome Ben, didn’t realise you were so product ready mate, my bad!
    Not yanking your chain but work could truly utilise decent kits too mate. PM for a pallet QLD<>Vic discussion mate !

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

FNQGU (30th August 2018)

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ha!, we're probably not, but gotta start somewhere. You just gave us a reason to say "now will do!"

If I could work out the trick to embedding video's so I don't have to rely on Toddie, I'll throw up the latest one. Just got to load it on YouTube and get a link first.

Pallet to Vic no worries. Will be a few weeks yet as we just 3D printed the new latch and are now modifying the injection mould.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FNQGU For This Useful Post:

MB (30th August 2018), MudRunnerTD (31st August 2018)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellenty! No stress mate, but please do hurry upskis :-) Buggers might buy some more service van Rhino’s too :-(

13. The Following User Says Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

FNQGU (30th August 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,247 Times in 644 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Book me in for a pallet as well @FNQGU Pm me with the payment deets and we'll get it rolling.
    I AM NOT STUBBORN.........I prefer the term, Singlemindedly independent !

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Touses For This Useful Post:

FNQGU (31st August 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,491 Times in 6,596 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    i reckon id be keen on at lease a couple. maybe 3. Great Price IMO.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

FNQGU (31st August 2018)

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome, thanks guys.

You can order them at expedition134.com.

Touses, I'll PM you shortly.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,411 Times in 6,256 Posts
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yes I will be keen for 2 of them for sure. Will put an order in in a couple of weeks.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Winnie For This Useful Post:

FNQGU (31st August 2018)

Page 12 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast