Thread: All Things Chev

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rainsey View Post

--SNIP--

I still have the old engine sitting on the back so tomorrow I will be dropping it off at Simms Metal to get rid of it. Once it's off I will get out and give it a good run.

--SNIP--

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Hi Rainsey,

Was your old ZD30 dead? I'm guessing that was the reason you didn't trade it in to BD?

Cheers
    Craig
    Last edited by Ropes; 5th December 2016 at 05:55 PM.
    23" STEDI Light Bar, ARB Twin High Flow Compressors, Full Length Alloy Roof Rack, Black Widow Jack and Shovel Holder, ABR-Sidewinder Dual Battery System, Small Barn Door Extension Bracket, Icom 400 Pro UHF, Safari Snorkel, Boost Gauge, EGT Gauge, Rear Cargo Barrier, Outback Rear Drawers, 33" Hancook MT’s, Dawes valve and Manual Boost controller, EGR block, 2” Lift, TJM Winch Bar, CampTrax 270º Awning, 12,000lb Winch, ARB 60ltr Fridge, ARB Front Air Locker, ARB Rear Bar/Dual Wheel Carrier, Rear Coil Tower Braces
    A work in progress

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ropes View Post
    Hi Rainsey,

Was your old ZD30 dead? I'm guessing that was the reason you didn't trade it in to BD?

Cheers
    Craig
    Not quite dead.
    For years I have been bitching about the pathetic towing capability of the ZD30. Feb this year I was on holidays and was driving up from Margaret River and noticed that Brunswick was on my way to Perth so I dropped in. Greg was fantastic, so much so the wife was almost ready to do the conversion then and there.

I started researching other options, Duramax, Turbo upgrades and the likes, and got the run around.

My trip over to WA from the east side this year I was driving by the gauges, predominantly the engine temp and the EGT. I hated it. I had a chronic over heating issue that cost me a grand in Perth for a new radiator, but I was still struggling with my EGT's.

About 4 months ago, I started having coolant being pushed out which turned was diagnosed as either a head gasket or a cracked head. I needed a new clutch, potentially a new head and the labour to fix, and then I still had a ZD30 that could not tow.

I opted to go the Optimiser 6.5. Shipped over to BD and shipped back. As per my original post the ZD 30 got taken down to Simms Metal, I could not bother to even strip it down.

Why did I not trade it in, because BD has a shite loads of good ZD30's and had no need for a suspect one.

BD I think have a warehouse of ZD 30's being that this is the most common upgrade.

Cheers

Rainsey

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rainsey View Post
    Not quite dead.
    For years I have been bitching about the pathetic towing capability of the ZD30. Feb this year I was on holidays and was driving up from Margaret River and noticed that Brunswick was on my way to Perth so I dropped in. Greg was fantastic, so much so the wife was almost ready to do the conversion then and there.

I started researching other options, Duramax, Turbo upgrades and the likes, and got the run around.

My trip over to WA from the east side this year I was driving by the gauges, predominantly the engine temp and the EGT. I hated it. I had a chronic over heating issue that cost me a grand in Perth for a new radiator, but I was still struggling with my EGT's.

About 4 months ago, I started having coolant being pushed out which turned was diagnosed as either a head gasket or a cracked head. I needed a new clutch, potentially a new head and the labour to fix, and then I still had a ZD30 that could not tow.

I opted to go the Optimiser 6.5. Shipped over to BD and shipped back. As per my original post the ZD 30 got taken down to Simms Metal, I could not bother to even strip it down.

Why did I not trade it in, because BD has a shite loads of good ZD30's and had no need for a suspect one.

BD I think have a warehouse of ZD 30's being that this is the most common upgrade.

Cheers

Rainsey

Thanks for the in depth response, I know the feeling of watching gauges on a long trip, having just returned from a 4 month trip myself.

Similar problems as you, just a different order, head gasket a few months before the trip, so I replaced the head as well.

Then the radiator two weeks into our trip when we reached Cairns.

Other than that the reason I'm going to have a 6.5 installed is for better towing ability and reliability.

My mate Pete and I went for a drive down to BD last week, Scotty took us for a tour through their workshop, answered all our questions, then he took us for a test drive in a recently converted Patrol and we were sold.

So if all goes to plan there'll be a new heartbeat fitted in mid February next year.

Thanks to everyone here I've already changed a couple of things in my quote, so if there's anything else you would have done but didn't or did and wished you hadn't please feel free to let me know.

Cheers
    Craig
    23" STEDI Light Bar, ARB Twin High Flow Compressors, Full Length Alloy Roof Rack, Black Widow Jack and Shovel Holder, ABR-Sidewinder Dual Battery System, Small Barn Door Extension Bracket, Icom 400 Pro UHF, Safari Snorkel, Boost Gauge, EGT Gauge, Rear Cargo Barrier, Outback Rear Drawers, 33" Hancook MT’s, Dawes valve and Manual Boost controller, EGR block, 2” Lift, TJM Winch Bar, CampTrax 270º Awning, 12,000lb Winch, ARB 60ltr Fridge, ARB Front Air Locker, ARB Rear Bar/Dual Wheel Carrier, Rear Coil Tower Braces
    A work in progress

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Ropes For This Useful Post:

rainsey (6th December 2016)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ropes View Post
    Thanks for the in depth response, I know the feeling of watching gauges on a long trip, having just returned from a 4 month trip myself.

Similar problems as you, just a different order, head gasket a few months before the trip, so I replaced the head as well.

Then the radiator two weeks into our trip when we reached Cairns.

Other than that the reason I'm going to have a 6.5 installed is for better towing ability and reliability.

My mate Pete and I went for a drive down to BD last week, Scotty took us for a tour through their workshop, answered all our questions, then he took us for a test drive in a recently converted Patrol and we were sold.

So if all goes to plan there'll be a new heartbeat fitted in mid February next year.

Thanks to everyone here I've already changed a couple of things in my quote, so if there's anything else you would have done but didn't or did and wished you hadn't please feel free to let me know.

Cheers
    Craig
    Craig,
    The only thing that I should have done at the time was to get BD to put in a cruise control. With the new diff gearing as part of the install and the extra torque, when i hit the freeway now I never get out of 5th gear. Sort of gets a bit boring on the right foot for long distances.

I only met Greg when I was over there but since then, in sorting out an oil leak issue, I have been dealing with Scotty. I am hanging out to meet him in person, sounds like an absolute character over the phone.

I had some teething issues but BD have busted their guts to sort them out without question.

2 things I can be a critic of the whole install was the exhaust and the air inlet. I had a end to end mandrel bent exhaust on the ZD30. What BD install is a relatively cheap 3" system that in some places are bent down to probably under 2 inches on some of the bends. Also the pipe that goes between exhaust manifold is tiny. When I have to replace it I will be going to some one like Beaudesert to get a quality exhaust custom made.

Re the inlet, I have a standard Safari snorkel and my engine at times sounds like it is absolutely starving for air. Under load I get a substantive sucking sound. I have my eyes on a Milweld 4" snorkel to alleviate this issue.

All in all I am over the moon with the quality of the work, the after instal support and the drive of the vehicle. One of the chaps on the Patrol 4x4 forum I spoke to prior to committing to the install stated to me that he did not know why it took him so long to get rid of the ZD30. I now totally agree with his summation.

Kindest regards
    Rainsey

7. The Following User Says Thank You to rainsey For This Useful Post:

Ropes (7th December 2016)

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,653 Times in 591 Posts
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not wanting to dampen your enthusiasm, but when I had mine done, I was extremely disappointed with the additional electrical work, both with the fridge socket that I asked for in the cargo bay, and with the cruise control. Both were shoddy in the extreme and had to be ripped out and rectified. The fridge wiring was done with a scotch type connector and took me ages to find the issue. The cruise control wire was crimped on with a yellow crimp terminal to the fuel pump like a 5 year-old had done it. This broke on me in the middle of no-where as of course they tend to do. If you get any sort of extra electrical work done, then from my personal experience, I would have it checked over thoroughly, or just done elsewhere by someone you trust.

Agree with Rainsey on the exhaust too. I was assured it was a quality 3 inch system, and when I saw the restrictions I was also disappointed.

There was also another issue I had with the exhaust rubbing to the point it wore through the wrap they had put on it. This was on the passengers side, off the engine. I don't have any pictures unfortunately, sorry, but watch for clearances when the engine is given a bootful and twists on its mounts.

My airbox also leaked around the base and I had to sikaflex it up for a proper seal and I had the Viscous Hub shit itself right on the 2 year mark.

The final gripe I had was that I cracked the starter motor badly when bottoming out on some dunes in the Simpson and had to replace it with a new one. This was due to suspension setup straight from BD, so keep a close eye on your starter for any signs of wear marks due to bottoming out. Speaking of which, I had to change our all four coil springs to heavier duty versions due to the amount of sag over 2 years so pay attention to your weights and spring choices and don't just leave it to BD to do it for you.

Also - ask where the bloody catch can is going to be fitted, and make sure you are happy you can easily access the drain. Mine was fitted almost dead centre on the rear firewall and was a PITA to get to, especially if you wanted to remove the BS bit of steel wool or scotch pad crap that was stuck in the guts of it as a so-called filter. Ask for an extension tube to be fitted with an easy to access tap, or at least be satisfied with what you see you are getting. Better yet - specifiy a catch can you know works properly.

Sorry, I'm not a fan of BD, but maybe they have picked up their game, or maybe it was the individual who did the job on my truck, I don't know but it took me a lot of extra time and effort to sort mine out. I hope your experience works out better than mine did.
    Between Patrols ATM. Had a beaut GU with 6.5 Chev TD. Next is a GU ute with a 4.5 litre Cummins conversion and a camper on the back.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to FNQGU For This Useful Post:

Ropes (7th December 2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys,

I can confirm that Scotty is a great character, with a wealth of knowledge to share who has been with Greg from the start.

After a lot of research, (read as weeding through the 3rd and 4th hand info) there are a few things I will/will not be doing.

1. I've had a cruise control since I bought this car and won't be without one for touring now, so that will be getting done but not by them.

2. I currently have a mandrel bent Manta 3" exhaust, which Scotty originally said couldn't stay because they need to relocate the Aux battery down underneath the car and they have to redesign an exhaust to fit in with that. I wasn't overly happy with the thought of the battery being down there for several reasons, cheers FNQGU [IMG]file://localhost/Users/Smee/Library/Group%20Containers/UBF8T346G9.Office/msoclip1/01/clip_image001.gif[/IMG] for providing proof supporting one of those reasons (heat). My exhaust is now staying and Greg has said they can plumb into that and I'll be moving the Aux battery into the drawer system myself, as illustrated by FNQGU.

3. They only electrical work that they will be doing is what's needed for the engine conversion, I'll be doing everything else myself.

4. They still fit the catch can in the same place but now they plumb in a drain line with a valve down to the chassis rail near the sump, I do have the provent fitted atm although due to its size I'm not sure if that can be used.

5. My springs are all HD and due for a change soon anyway, so I'll keep an eye on the sag etc.

6. I have the benefit of living only 1.5hrs away, so I'll be down there every other day keeping an eye on their progress.

Another thing that I will be getting done at the same time is the hydraulic brake upgrade, mainly to save time mucking around with engineering certification etc.
    Has anyone else done this?

Cheers
    Craig
    A work in progress

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Craig,

Re the catch can, just take what they give you and change it if it does not suit. I have a great HPD unit that I am going to swap around when I get time. The catchcan they supply is pretty basic as is its filtering, but what the heck, the fact that they put one on standard is in my books a good thing.

Re the hydraulic brake booster, bugger me I am jealous. I asked Greg about them a month or so back and he knew nothing about them. If it is Marks Adapters unit it looks fantastic.

When you get it in please keep me updated as to how it goes as for what, around $1200, it is supposed to double your brake performance. You also need the stainless brake lines as well to cater for the extra pressure.

I have had my finger hovering over the purchase now button for months. Ill take it away until I hear back from you.

Re the electrics, yes I do tend to agree as the initial issue I had on receipt of my truck was silly things like earth lines not re connected and the main power cable from the battery to the fuse block only being finger tight, which subsequently vibrated even looser. Greg was ready to ship me a new alternator before I figured this out.

Kindest regards
    Rainsey

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,672 Times in 2,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Craig,
    I have just taken delivery of my GQ with the n/a optimiser engine. There were a couple of minor things with the finish but nothing to harp on about. I unfortunately experienced a couple of failures due to incorrect springs being installed, however despite it raising the blood pressure, BD have taken the load and replaced the components without hesitation. Couple of points worth mentioning to improve your outcome
    1) I would keep the scope of work as 'standard' as possible. Variation from the typical conversion takes time and in my case didn't end well.
    2) when you get your quote, make sure it includes EVERYTHING' required for the conversion. I ended up with a list of replacement parts that really should have been disclosed at the time of the quote, so the price went up. I don't dispute the need, more the delayed disclosure of parts for what has been done many many times - stuff like power steering pump upgrade from 2.8 to 4.2, power clutch booster, upgraded alternator, front springs to name a few.
    3) I think the gvm upgrade is a lot easier in WA than to get than over here and I am having all sorts of dramas getting the WA certification recognised - in fact its likely the cost is going to be refunded for this and it will cost 2-3 times what BD charged me - Vicroads are painful.
    4) Check those front springs - and make sure they are at least what are termed 100kg rated coils (somewhere around the 19mm dia it looks). Unfortunately mine was fitted with 50kg units with serious consequences. I put this down to a simple error to be honest or a mix up at BD with their stocks. The ones currently in mine are being upgraded on monday - happy to share the final selection, however performance is something I will have to delay comment on. Also, make a point of getting BD to guarantee the front bump stops are configured to 100% not allow contact with the sump or the starter motor - they simply need to drop the coils out and pivot the bump diff upwards to a point where a mechanical stop can be determined. Don't trust the rubber bump stops to protect you - you need a block of steel/plastic to provide the travel restriction. Your typical driving might be different to mine, but rutted steep and shagged tracks are the norm here as against miles and miles of long haul and corrugations. This is another thing happening on monday - I punched a hole in the sump and smashed the tiebar off the starter. If you mention these points , Scotty and his crw will address them - I was caught out with wrong springs, so here is the lesson I guess.

Anyway, I love the grunt, coming from a 2.8TD and the torque is great. I think the conversion is worth the coin and have faith in BD regards their build quality.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

Ropes (8th December 2016)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow,

I must have had a dream run.

The quote I got from Greg was totally itemised and the only thing that was a variation was the amount of cabling I had going up the left side of my ZD30 which interfered with the exhaust. It took his sparky a whole day to reroute so I took that one on the chin.

I got my GVM upgrade at the time of the engine install. The paper work installed was supplied to the NSW based engineer and he happily transferred it over to his engineering report. To be honest, engineering was my biggest phobia and it turned out to be the easiest!

With regards to the GVM, I already had the request requirements, tower bridge, 400KG rated springs and so on ( the springs and shocks were OME) so the GVM upgrade was a no brainer. Hearing you chaps talk of 100Kg springs sort of scares me.

When I questioned BD over engineering they referred me to a NSW engineer that I spoke to before committing. He was totally aware of the BD work and when I rolled up he had no issues with the mods and GVM upgrade. After 28 odd years of doing this it amazes me that BD don't have the equivalent VIC engineer that is in total understanding of the upgrade process.

Kindest regards
    Rainsey

15. The Following User Says Thank You to rainsey For This Useful Post:

Kimbo63 (7th December 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It amazes me that after 28 odd years of doing the same thing using out of date engines that there are still issues.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to nissannewby For This Useful Post:

FNQGU (8th December 2016)

Page 43 of 134 FirstFirst ... 3341424344455393 ... LastLast