Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bad fuel economy - reasons?

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just noticed when my wife started the Patrol to leave for work this morning, a puff of white smoke came out the exhaust. I'm no mechanic, but should I be worried about this?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,298 Times in 6,438 Posts
    Mentioned
    461 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    FWIW, Mrs MB's old GU 02 3.0L manual immaculate wagon (stock rocket) with zero fruit bolted on and not towing could get 12.0L if we tried hard enough on the flat highway. Never really got it over 16.0L, it was a great thing I reckon, more than fit for its purpose at our time in life !
    Haha I was going to edit my post but fell asleep. With the optimal conditions and an empty Patrol with nothing bolted on you may get 12-13Ltrs. Everything counts I suppose thats bolts onto your car. I know when I take my roof rack off I could shave off maybe half a litre just in wind drag.
    Quote Originally Posted by azzacalabaza View Post
    I just noticed when my wife started the Patrol to leave for work this morning, a puff of white smoke came out the exhaust. I'm no mechanic, but should I be worried about this?
    Might be just some unburnt fuel on its first start. Depending if the morning is real cold or not too. My Patrol on real chilly mornings will do the same. Might be oil but something of that age I wouldn't think so. Just keep an eye on the oil levels...

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks mudski. I live up on the Fraser Coast QLD, so it's not cold at all really. I've read this could indicate a problem with glow plugs, injector timing or cracked head gasket. I might need to book it in to a local diesel mechanic to have a look at.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I forgot to mention can be caused by air getting into fuel line. I'm not sure when fuel filter was last changed on it, so i probably should get that done.

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,298 Times in 6,438 Posts
    Mentioned
    461 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If there was air in the line I would have thought it would splutter and carry on until the air is out... Just go over the hose clamps and tighten them up.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm thinking I should probably get my injectors inspected/cleaned. Any idea how much this usually costs?

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    To be honest. If someone says they are getting 10-11 ltrs in a 3T hunk of metal powered by a tiny 4cylinder 3ltr diesel, i really dont think they have done their calculations right.
    I have to disagree, my GU2 would do over 1100 km between fills, but only in autumn & spring, once the AC was on & the boat trailer connected it went south.
    Graham

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our 2006 3.0 Di is usually around 12 -13 /100 but can gut up to 14-15 if I push it. Plenty of extra weight-steel bull bar, winch, drawers with recovery gear and tool etc etc. Only time I hit over 15 across the Simpson- then it was 24!!!.
    Not nursed but not flogged either.
    Just did a refuel--667 km and 81.12 litres==12.16 l/100. That gives me a range of 988 km, at least theoretically. About half of this was from Chinchilla, the balance around the Gold Coast. This seems to be about standard for me.
    Last edited by Dr Gary; 17th October 2016 at 12:38 PM. Reason: Refuelled since posting reply
    GU IV 2006; 3.0 DDi ST-S; Nissan Snorkel, Bull Bar and Tow Bar; Warn 8,000# Winch with Dyneema rope; Auber EGT, Boost and dual Battery gauges; Provent 200; Dual Batteries; Three Dogs recovery points; Rear Springs +20% load; Outback drawers and Cargo Barrier; UHF; [GPS, Radio, CD, Bluetooth, SD, USB] floor extension; Alloy roof rack
    "Smart people know what they don't know"

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those are nice figures @Dr Gary. Since I have no attachments to my trol apart from tow bar and still get much higher than that, i feel envious. 12.16 I would be really happy with.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just an update on my fuel economy. I've since done the EGR block hoping to improve things for me. Unfortunately, my fuel figures have worsened from 16.6L/100 to now 17.4L/100 (town driving).

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123