OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need suggestions on how to clean up the mess I've made.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,401 Times in 2,994 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need suggestions on how to clean up the mess I've made.

We went shopping & among all the usual stuff we bought was a block of butter. Carried back to where we are staying in the car fridge. Unloaded the fridge but somehow left the block of butter sitting on some carpet alongside the fridge. 4 hot days later my wife discovers my mistake. The block of butter had well & truly melted inside our Patrol's rear canopy, & the smell was basically that of rancid cheese! What had once been a paper wrapped block, was now flat paper with just a thin covering of 'ghee' on it

Most of the melted butter has soaked into the carpet, which is glued permanently to the canopy's aluminium floor. As you might expect, just touching the carpet resulted in greasy, stinky hands.

So far we have spent several days laying multi thicknesses of paper towels onto the carpet & sat heat packs & saucepans of hot water on top of the towels. After 3 days & multiple changes of heat & paper towels the amount of the yellow oil/fat that the towels are absorbing has diminished quite a lot, but nevertheless the carpet still smells like rancid cheese, albeit not quite as badly as it had done. Touching the carpet still feels a bit greasy, but nowhere near as much as it had done.

The question is 'what next'? Hot water & detergent, followed by more absorbent paper towels with weights on them? Scrubbing with the hot water & detergent? Sprinkling sodium bicarb onto the carpet when dry? Or just leave the whole thing alone & hope the smell dissipates with time? (I don't have much faith in that latter option however).

Appearance is a non issue, it's removing the smell which is the priority.

The carpet is a thin short pile marine type carpet. Last resort may be to somehow cut the affected area out, although it is well & truly stuck down.

Helpful suggestions sought please.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hire one of those carpet shampooers from Woolies next time your there and go to town. Other than that you could try steam clean then a wet vac.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My pootrol was putrid when I got it 3 months ago. Even used a hose on the door trims to clean it.
    Search WURTH INDUSTRY CLEANER. Excellent stuff in a spray can. Smells like oranges. This will kill the greasy stuff, even better if you can give it a quick blast with a gerni afterwards,

Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you tried baking soda on it? Sprinkle a shit load on, rub it in, rinse and repeat.
    Can you heat the affected section of carpet with a hairdryer to try and help release the glue if you want to cut a square out?
    2016 GU Legend Edition: 3505Kg GVM Upgrade and Stuff!

Thanks
    Thanked 6,891 Times in 3,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I was going to say steam but Matty beat me to it.
    As above, soda and maybe spray vinegar on it.
    Glen 20 ?
    New truck?

Sorry mate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,763 Times in 1,515 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Leave it open in the rainforest, the jungle creatures will clean it up for you. Or you can borrow our dog, he’ll eat anything that stinks, including the carpet.

Sorry Cuppa, couldn’t resist.
    Cheers
    Jack

2012 Simpson 50th Anniversary Edition.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Vanilla will cover the stinks
    Thought to self velcro carpet to alluminium floor
    in case there is "Buttergate 2020" lol
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could lay an old towel down or paper towel and iron it... I got dried up crystallized cough mixture out of my passenger seat this way
    2001 GU II ST, 3.0di, Auto, All NADS done, Nissan Snorkel, 50mm Lift, 35's....

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If it is marine carpet then spray the area liberally with windex (glass cleaner) and give it a scrub with a nail brush or short bristle brush to get the windex right into the carpet.
    Mop up with paper towel
    Give the area a rinse with clean water
    Mop up again with paper towel
    Spray with Carpet deodouriser (pet grade if you have it) vanilla, orange oil or what have you.

Works a treat on the carpet in the boats at work and is fun to watch people gag as they clean up the left overs from their chunder.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,647 Times in 2,645 Posts
    Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Finezy View Post
    You could lay an old towel down or paper towel and iron it... I got dried up crystallized cough mixture out of my passenger seat this way
    I agree with this method, have used it to mobilise oil and grease from carpet before, change the scott towel frequently but use just heat, not steam -

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast