Thread: Power loss

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Power loss

Hey ladies and gents

So on the weekend I spent 3 days out in the vic high country. Done a very tough track (middle ridge trk aka Mt Sunday rd) the following day my zd30di patrol seemed to lack power but couldn’t put my finger on it. When getting back on the bitumen it became very apparent I had a fuel issue.

Anyways I was able to get home car drove fine, no smoke, starts fine, runs smooth it was just slow.

Before I left I tipped a jerry of fuel in that had been on my roof for quiet some time so I thought maybe it was bad and the fuel filter might be clogged or all the rough driving stirred up some junk in the tank. I changed out the filter with a cheap $20 one and it definitely made it better.

My concern is that albeit better it is still sluggish compared to before. It seems to lack power, needing to wind the gears out longer (auto) and requiring more time to get upto speed.

Any suggestions on what I should be looking at? The are no engine lights at the moment. Driving home from VHC I did get a light a few times but would go away when it was turned off and restarted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Finezy; 21st May 2019 at 07:06 PM.
    2001 GU II ST, 3.0di, Auto, All NADS done, Nissan Snorkel, 50mm Lift, 35's....

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,094 Times in 3,138 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Get a hold of some fuel doctor and add to tank if you suspect bad / old diesel .
    How long was it up on the roof / in the Jerry ??

Could have had some condensation inside which made it through the system, and replacing the filter possibly got rid of the shit the filter caught which is why it's running a tad better .
    But if any water made it to the pump, it could be trouble.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
    2005 TD42TI

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will try some fuel system cleaner, I did drain the old filter into a jar and there was no evidence of water, there was how ever some black sludgy looking stuff that came out of the filter looking like worms

Thanks
    Thanked 1,239 Times in 641 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Finezy View Post
    I will try some fuel system cleaner, I did drain the old filter into a jar and there was no evidence of water, there was how ever some black sludgy looking stuff that came out of the filter looking like worms

I could well be wrong, it's happened before. Sounds like you've got a bacterial growth in your fuel, old fuel from the jerry most prolly.
    A shock treatment of a biocidal fuel treatment is the go.
    I use Penrite diesel biocide in mine constantly at 1/2 ml per litre to keep it clean, says it separates water from fuel too.
    Shock treatment is 200ml per 50 litres. Carry a couple of new filters, filter wrench and some clean fuel to fill the filters.
    Fuel up, add treatment, I premixit in a litre bottle and add prior to fuelling.
    Head off on a decent drive and expect it to misbehave. Spin off old filter, top up new filter, spin it on.
    You may have to replace a couple of filters before it comes good but should clean your fuel lines, pump and injectors.
    Best of luck with it.
    I AM NOT STUBBORN.........I prefer the term, Singlemindedly independent !

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Touses For This Useful Post:

Finezy (22nd May 2019), Hodge (22nd May 2019)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try cleaning your air flow meter too

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks mate, I’m one step ahead. I checked my MAF this morning and my idle voltage was 1.03v and my EGR is blocked so should be more like 2.15v. I am starting to think that even though my fuel filter appeared to be somewhat blocked it may not have been my problem. I have ordered a new MAF overnight from patrolapart so we’ll see how it goes.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problem solved guys... got my new MAF sensor this morning and i just chucked it in and iv got all the ponies back....

Cheers for the suggestions

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Finezy For This Useful Post:

Hodge (24th May 2019)

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,094 Times in 3,138 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Finezy View Post
    Problem solved guys... got my new MAF sensor this morning and i just chucked it in and iv got all the ponies back....

Cheers for the suggestions
    Good easy outcome mate .

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
    2005 TD42TI