User Tag List

Thread: Gvm upgrade gu iv wagon

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting to hear that ABS was a requirement. Out of curiousity (and not necessarily for GVM upgrade) has anyone fitted ABS to their vehicle that originally wasn't delivered with ABS from factory?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Cremulator For This Useful Post:

shakey55 (1st April 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,062 Times in 615 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cremulator View Post
    Interesting to hear that ABS was a requirement. Out of curiousity (and not necessarily for GVM upgrade) has anyone fitted ABS to their vehicle that originally wasn't delivered with ABS from factory?
    Also forgot to mention that, in addition to the ABS requirement, I had to fit Narva Cat 6 side indicators. This is because, to be able to do the GVM upgrade to 3550 kg, the Patrol changed category to light commercial.

I would expect retrofitting ABS to an older Patrol to be a real pain. Not only the mechanical side, which includes a different master cylinder, with all the brake line swapping, etc but the electrics/electronics would be a real headache.
    You also need to consider how you want it to work with diff locks. My Ti has factory rear locker and it cuts out the ABS when engaged.

Edit: Short story about my ABS.. I've owned my Patrol for 15 years and a couple of months ago I felled a big foxtail palm that was becoming dangerous. I (over)loaded it into my 8x5 trailer to take to the dump on a drizzly morning and approaching the dump entrance I started to brake and realised the road was a bit greasy as the pedal started pulsating as the trailer pushed the Patrol straight ahead. I wasn't going fast but still had to back the trailer up to make the turn so I'd overshot by a few metres.
    First time in 15 years I'd activated the ABS..
    Last edited by jff45; 5th March 2022 at 09:28 AM.
    John

2001 GUII TI 4500 - Now converted to TD42T auto with Nomad valve body