Thread: Time for some new rubber

Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 294 Posts
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Time for some new rubber

Finally time to replace the tyres on my 2005 Wagon & need some input on what to run. Have been using Mickey Thompson STZ`s & have had a great run with them but they do not make them anymore. The fronts are well worn & the rears are still at around 70%, but staked a sidewall the other day, so up for new tyres all round.

Doing my head in researching what to put on next so hoping to get some advice from the forum guru`s.

Narrowed it down to 3 brands:

BFGOODRICH KM3

MAXXIS RAZR MT772

NITTO TRAIL GRAPPLER

Have read plenty of reviews online but would like your opinion on Road Noise & Durability or any problems.

TIA.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 12,951 Times in 6,827 Posts
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had the BFG's on my last GU. They started to get noisy as soon as I missed a tyre rotation (5). The noise all but disappeared as soon as I rotated them again. They performed well on and off road
    In saying that I probably wouldn't buy them again as the MTZ's I had on my GQ and on EX wifes Prado lasted a hell of a lot longer

IF YA DONT GET STUCK YA AINT TRYIN HARD ENOUGH........OR YA TOOK THE CHICKEN TRACK

WARNING: TOWBALLS USED WITH SNATCHSTRAPS DO KILL!!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to growler2058 For This Useful Post:

VK2FMIA (5th January 2021)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by growler2058 View Post
    I had the BFG's on my last GU. They started to get noisy as soon as I missed a tyre rotation (5). The noise all but disappeared as soon as I rotated them again. They performed well on and off road
    In saying that I probably wouldn't buy them again as the MTZ's I had on my GQ and on EX wifes Prado lasted a hell of a lot longer
    Cheers Growler,
    Have considered the MTZ as well as the Mickey`s do seem to last(the STZ`s on the front have done over 80,000 km). Price of them is putting me off though, around $80 per tyre more.
    "Yet, upon the whole, the space I traversed is unlikely to become the haunt of civilized man....." - Charles Sturt

Thanks
    Thanked 12,951 Times in 6,827 Posts
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VK2FMIA View Post
    Cheers Growler,
    Have considered the MTZ as well as the Mickey`s do seem to last(the STZ`s on the front have done over 80,000 km). Price of them is putting me off though, around $80 per tyre more.
    I know! The troll I just bought has BFG A/T KM2's. They maybe have a years driving left in them and I'm already dreading spending $$$$$$ on a new set.

IF YA DONT GET STUCK YA AINT TRYIN HARD ENOUGH........OR YA TOOK THE CHICKEN TRACK

WARNING: TOWBALLS USED WITH SNATCHSTRAPS DO KILL!!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to growler2058 For This Useful Post:

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,674 Times in 2,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have just swapped my BFG KM2's for Kumho MT71. The load rating and construction was the same on paper, and the price difference enormous - $480 V $310 each. The ride is difference, does not feel as 'soft' as the BFG, and the tyre has a more square profile than the BFG, almost like a BFG All terrain. Kumho probably have a similar tire in the AT?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 7,403 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Toyos & Nittos seem to be getting good reviews of late. Toyos are cheaper than they were a few years back

So far I'm happy with the Toyo RT's (Toyo equivalent to the Nitto Hybrid 'Ridge Grappler - but with a slightly more open tread pattern in the middle) I fitted fairly recently but have only done road mileage on them so far. A bit noisier than my previous Bridgestone D697 AT's but a lot quieter than a full mud tyre. No difference in fuel consumption & should be better off road with the more aggressive tread & less sidewall bulge at lower pressures. Better balanced than both sets of Bridgestones I've had too - requiring far less weights.

IMG_1792.jpeg

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

growler2058 (5th January 2021), MB (5th January 2021), MudRunnerTD (5th January 2021), Stropp (6th January 2021), VK2FMIA (5th January 2021)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks @PeeBee & @Cuppa for your suggestions. I'll look into them.

Sent from my campfire using smoke signals.
    "Yet, upon the whole, the space I traversed is unlikely to become the haunt of civilized man....." - Charles Sturt

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had one set of KM2s. 50 ks. On my 3rd set of Nitto trail grapplers. 295 70 17s on the wrangler 60ks a set They are fkn heavy but good.
    Still learning on the poo, have fed couragias and they are slippery on the bitumen in the wet! hey they were cheap!379533D9-76C7-490D-8BAA-673CA48E14B0.jpeg
    Last edited by Mickhead; 5th January 2021 at 04:37 PM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Mickhead For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 11,240 Times in 4,951 Posts
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have been a BFGoodrich KM fan for many years after being severely disappointed by a few others back in the day.
    Unfortunately Mr Good is trying to get too Rich for my likings these days.
    Used to get 100k out of KM1’s on lighter FJ40/45/55 Landcrabs and maybe 60-70k out of KM2’s on GU Patrol utes/wagons.
    KM3’s on our family GU wagon currently have by far been the best performing KM to date but they are disappearing so quickly it’s scary dollar wise.
    Threw a set of Nitto Trail Grappler MT’s on my daily GQ about a year ago not expecting too much for the price but here’s a picture of them between 40-50k (odometer keeps intermittently stopping :-)

Performance wise, @Winnie & Family ran the entire West Coast of Wild Tasmania side by side on these same Nitto’s and didn’t appear to have any less traction than that of the KM2 & 3 wagons in convoy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

growler2058 (5th January 2021), Mickhead (6th January 2021), VK2FMIA (5th January 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,385 Times in 6,249 Posts
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yeah as mentioned by MB I am a fan of the Nittos now. My last tyres were KM2s and I liked them to begin with but they wore quickly and I got a lot of punctures.
    Did a sneaky mission a month or so ago with Rossco on his KM3s, we didn't find any mud but drove lots of wet rocks and we both only got stuck once at the same spot, pretty good comparison.
    Done maybe 15-20k?

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Winnie For This Useful Post:

Rossco (5th January 2021)

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast