Threaded View

Thanks
    Thanked 11,352 Times in 6,458 Posts
    Mentioned
    465 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PeeBee View Post
    OK, so looking around I see there are upper and lower control arms and front and rear panhards. The control arms are offered in adjustable as are some of the lower. Also there are upper control arms with a bend to clear fuel tanks. i am assuming I don't need the bent upper adjustable units as the factory straight ones dont hit the fuel tank now? Is it complicating the setup by having the control arms adjustable or simply go for the +11mm units for the 2-3" lift range? Do I ned to change the upper control arms at all?
    The bend in the upper arms is for long range aux tanks as they kinda wrap around the rhs upper arm. So the arm is bent to clear the tank. Adjustable uppers are used to straighten, or re align the pinion angle so its in line with the tail shaft. The more the lift the more the diff needs to be twisted upwards to be in line with the tailshaft.
    Longer lower arms are used to centre the wheel in the guard when the axle is under compression. As when you add a suspension lift you will alter the wheel to guard alignment. Sorry I dont know how to explain it better. Bene will be able to clear this upper better than anyone. I went +10mm in my lower arms for a 4inch lift and its spot on for my application.

Look at the pinion angle of your diff and if it runs in a straight line to your tail shaft, you dont require adjustable upper arms. If its not, then yeah technically you do.
    I changed both uppers and lowers on my arms and the rubber bushes in both did not last 12 months. All now replaced with OEM bushes and plenty of never seize on the pins and all good.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

PeeBee (15th August 2018)