Thread: Amateur Radio & Outback Communications

Hybrid View

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for that! Very insightful. I am going along the same path as you. My callsign is VK3FNOR, and have an intent to take the standard license, but never got around to it yet. Though would be interested in your experiences of getting that system mounted and operated in the car. Do you have a way to move it between your car and home, for it to serve two purposes... e.g. would be quite interested in your kit and setup really! Any issue using then any of the HF networks, and are you maintaining any subscription with them etc? I also have a GU Patrol, which I want to use this in. Cheers!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 294 Posts
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jskogsta View Post
    Thanks for that! Very insightful. I am going along the same path as you. My callsign is VK3FNOR, and have an intent to take the standard license, but never got around to it yet. Though would be interested in your experiences of getting that system mounted and operated in the car. Do you have a way to move it between your car and home, for it to serve two purposes... e.g. would be quite interested in your kit and setup really! Any issue using then any of the HF networks, and are you maintaining any subscription with them etc? I also have a GU Patrol, which I want to use this in. Cheers!
    The Icom IC-7000 that I am using has a separate head unit that I have mounted on the dash using Velcro so it can be moved when needed. The base is mounted behind the center console with the LDG Z100+ tuner. I leave the whole setup in the vehicle & when at home just plug up a Multi-band Dipole that is strung up between some trees. I mainly work portable though, like to get away from the noise from Tv`s, Solar Panels etc & generally use a G5RV or just a 1/4 wave end fed wire when out & about.

No subscription needed with the nets, all run by volunteers. The Travelers Net website is at http://historic.vk6.net/arg29travel.html

The Coral Coast net is run out of Rockhampton, Sydney & Bundaberg on 7.060 MHz from 5:00 am every morning.

The Kandos Net is run out of Kandos, NSW & Brisbane at 4:30 pm Monday to Friday on 7.093 MHz.

Call into the Coral Coast or Kandos net anytime, great bunch of blokes & very welcoming. Another great net is the 7.130 DX net on Monday, Wed & Fri nights at 8:20 pm on 7.130 MHz if you are looking for international contacts. There are a whole range of nets on different bands but I usually stick to the ones on the 40 meter band.

Inside the Patrol

Icom IC-7000 on the dash, 2m/70cm dual band portable, 40 channel UHF with 400-520 MHz scanner, Samsung Netbook for Digital decoding, Oziexplorer & Internet.

Plenty of choices of transceiver out there from Kenwood, Yaesu & others. Ask any questions you need, only too happy to help!

Catch you on the air someday!
    "Yet, upon the whole, the space I traversed is unlikely to become the haunt of civilized man....." - Charles Sturt

3. The Following User Says Thank You to VK2FMIA For This Useful Post:

NissanGQ4.2 (22nd October 2016)