Hybrid View

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by caveman21 View Post
    Yer thats a good way of doing it 3D with the buckets, only prob we go camping a lot in the summer months and here in W.A. the have a lot of fire banns,which sucks theres nuthin better than havin a campfire .So restricted to using gas burners most of the time (I just use the butane single burners) . If i was to get something like the JOOLCA HOTTAP would have to add a gas bottle to the mix as well
    I take it then these are{joolca} are a better option than an On board Say Glind shower system.
    A friend brought an impressive heat exchanger and made his own
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by threedogs View Post
    I take it then these are{joolca} are a better option than an On board Say Glind shower system.
    A friend brought an impressive heat exchanger and made his own
    Joolca et al are stand alone, instantaneous, well at least while the LPG lasts... Glind mean you have to have the vehicle warmed up.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the evil twin View Post
    Joolca et al are stand alone, instantaneous, well at least while the LPG lasts... Glind mean you have to have the vehicle warmed up.
    Just thinking hot water is hot water, so which is the most cost effective??
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The $2 shower at the ablution block
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (17th July 2016), NissanGQ4.2 (17th July 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,564 Times in 6,622 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I had a Glind kit fitted to the GQ for a few years. The problem is the engine needs to be hot. You need to plan your shower for as soo as your stop driving or you have to warm the car up. You then have to cycle the water through until it's hot enough then use it. I wasn't a fan.

I have a Coleman and to be honest rarely use it. It's ok but a bit of a hassle.

The Joolca unit or similar permanently mounted yo the camper would get used continuously I think. On my list
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (17th July 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,882 Times in 3,232 Posts
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post

The Joolca unit or similar permanently mounted yo the camper would get used continuously I think. On my list
    http://www.joolca.com.au/drawbar-mount
    Time is never wasted when your wasted all the time

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,704 Times in 3,138 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a Glind kit fitted to the GQ for a few years. The problem is the engine needs to be hot. You need to plan your shower for as soo as your stop driving or you have to warm the car up. You then have to cycle the water through until it's hot enough then use it. I wasn't a fan.

I have a Coleman and to be honest rarely use it. It's ok but a bit of a hassle.

And for $51!!!!!!!
    Why wouldn't you!!
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

Thanks
    Thanked 7,446 Times in 3,011 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had one of those too at one stage, but like you say, needing to run the motor up to operating temp, & then having to keep it running whilst using the hot water, combined with somewhat imprecise water temperature control (using the vehicle's heater controls) made me not a fan either.

However the idea of heating water effortlessly & for free was appealing, so what I now have (& the second vehicle I've had one in) is a variation on the same theme. A Calorifier. Essentially works like a Glind, but instead has a copper coil inside a larger & insulated tank, which means you have hot water whenever you arrive at camp, & insulation on the tank keeps it hot for 2 or 3 days. Tank size can vary to suit use/space available. Mine is a commercially made unit which admittedly are somewhat more expensive than these gas instantaneous units, (price comparable to other caravan type hot water systems) but for those handy at fabricating/adapting stuff a DIY version shouldn't be too much of a challenge. A tank with a copper coil running through it connected into the engine cooling system, plus an inlet & outlet for water into the tank. A pressure relief valve is required for safety, & a tempering valve - which automatically mixes cold with hot at the outlet to give a precise & constant pre set temperature. The water in the tank heats to engine coolant temp, typically up to around 90 deg.C which when tempered with the added cold to give safe temperatures 'extends' the tank's capacity significantly. A 30 minute drive is sufficient to have a tankful of hot water (for my 25L - larger tanks may take a bit longer). Of course a pump & a water tank are also required, whereas the instant gas heaters can be run from a bucket or even directly from a creek or other water supply.

Just in case anyone is thinking of mounting an instant Gas water heater inside a camper - this is seriously not a good idea. It's also probably illegal. I say probably only because canvas structures may be a legal grey area (which doesn't make it safe). They need to be mounted outside to be adequately vented in order to prevent risk of carbon monoxide poisoning. (Like the Joolca drawbar mount - needs to be set up each camp). Ones which can be mounted inside have to have proper venting to the outside & are far more expensive & essentially a different product altogether to those being discussed here. IMHO the instant gas water heaters as being discussed here are most suitable for those who set up a base camp rather than those who move on daily.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (21st July 2016), NissanGQ4.2 (21st July 2016)