Thread: Off road driving technique

Thanks
    Thanked 12,754 Times in 7,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by graeme1969 View Post
    The defence force 4wd course that I did a few years ago in hiluxes and landrovers had us doing stalled hill starts on ridiculously steep and rough tracks using the torque from the starter motor to get moving again. They would get us to put it into first gear, release the park brake, foot off brake (which was a bit of an uncomfortable feeling), then hit the key and away you went. It worked really well on both types of vehicles for everyone over the three or four days and seemed like a way of getting mobile back up hill while removing the risk of rolling backwards.
    Thats what we were taught in the 4wd course I did......... doesn't quite work in an auto though lol

Talking of autos and their ability of not stalling, whats the point of the hand throttle?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 5,394 Times in 3,184 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clunk View Post
    So if you've got an owners manual, why haven't you scanned it in and posted it up on the forum?
    Because I'm a selfish, lazy bastard. Oh and I haven't got a modern scanner so that makes me a fish bum as well.
    My advice is: not to follow my advice.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,754 Times in 7,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudnut View Post
    Because I'm a selfish, lazy bastard. Oh and I haven't got a modern scanner so that makes me a fish bum as well.
    Got a camera havent you?hahaha

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Clunk For This Useful Post:

mudnut (23rd March 2015)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by graeme1969 View Post
    The defence force 4wd course that I did a few years ago in hiluxes and landrovers had us doing stalled hill starts on ridiculously steep and rough tracks using the torque from the starter motor to get moving again. They would get us to put it into first gear, release the park brake, foot off brake (which was a bit of an uncomfortable feeling), then hit the key and away you went. It worked really well on both types of vehicles for everyone over the three or four days and seemed like a way of getting mobile back up hill while removing the risk of rolling backwards.
    Sounds like the one. Getting into first gear has to be done, dangerous though it is. I was taught to open the hand throttle, flick the key, then switch from brake to accelerator as the car surged forward under power.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=Clunk;590505]Thats what we were taught in the 4wd course I did......... doesn't quite work in an auto though lol

I know for sure that we used that method for doing restarts going downhill both forward and reverse, and I am sure that we did it going uphill as well, but the memory is a bit fuzzy on that. The extra load on the starter to go uphill would be a worry, bit if the option to reverse down is more dangerous than to head up, I am pretty sure the starter would have to take a hit.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,394 Times in 3,184 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clunk View Post
    Got a camera havent you?hahaha
    The answer is yes I do. Have you seen post #33 in the rb30 facts figures and helpful hints thread yet. That is the best quality close-up my little camera can do
    My advice is: not to follow my advice.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TroutNut View Post
    snip...
    Im not trying to be the smartest bloke here, but the hand throttle is for dealing with stalls or forced stops on steep uphill inclines, when you have to restart and it's too dangerous to take your foot off the brake to flick it over to the throttle.
    Uummmm... I would suggest quite a few on here have spent a day or two outside the 60 KPH zone

That is exactly the wrong way to do a stall recovery.

Stall recovery is executed from a stable stationary position against compression without your foot anywhere near the brake.

Hill start is executed from a stable stationary position without the use of foot brake except in exceptional circumstance.
    Where the need for a foot brake existed the risk of breaking traction would be a very significant risk.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "hand throttle was NOT designed to get you to "gain forward momentum up massive inclines"
    it was designed to give you the ability to use the throttle WITHOUT using your feet - ever heard of the old Capstan Winch - or a PTO........??? you use a hand throttle for those"

Its called a hand throttle because it's a hand throttle. We all know you don't need your feet to use it. Anytime a winch is used, an operator needs to be in the vehicle to maintain control if something snaps or otherwise goes wrong, otherwise the car goes on its own way uncontrolled. The procedure for that is simply open the bonnet to shield the person in the drivers seat from a snapped cable.

"looking at situations where you're stuck stationary on dangerous slopes when you need the grip of four calipers on the disc/drums.
    mate, if your in THIS situation, you have OTHER things to worry about - like just HOW did you get in this predicament......"

If you're stuck in said situation, what you need to know is how to get out of it.

You sound like someone who'll end up injuring somebody else, if natural selection doesn't take its course first.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TroutNut View Post
    snip...
    For the doubtful, take a 4wding course and you'll learn that the hand throttle is for one purpose and one only, and that's to gain immediate rpm at the turn of the ignition key to gain forward momentum up massive inclines.
    Uuummmm... Bullshit, sorry, but it is... and any Instructor teaching that the "one and only purpose of a hand throttle is immediate high RPM on ign start for extreme hill starts" should be immediately stripped of accreditation assuming they hold some in the first place.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

Bigcol (24th March 2015)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the evil twin View Post
    Uummmm... I would suggest quite a few on here have spent a day or two outside the 60 KPH zone

That is exactly the wrong way to do a stall recovery.

Stall recovery is executed from a stable stationary position against compression without your foot anywhere near the brake.

Hill start is executed from a stable stationary position without the use of foot brake except in exceptional circumstance.
    Where the need for a foot brake existed the risk of breaking traction would be a very significant risk.
    Gotta love the way you word things. 'A very significant risk' is what im getting at. Im talking about slopes where compression isn't going to hold you. I realise most 4wdriving uphill starts don't need hand throttle, im only talking about extreme cases. If you have to go somewhere you don't want to go, with a bushfire up your backside, then some slopes are your only option and not recovering from a stall isn't an option. Plenty of people go up big slopes for the fun of it, and anyone doing it needs to know how to drive. There's also plenty of dead or wheelchair bound people who didn't know what they were doing.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast