User Tag List

Thread: How often do you get out to the bush. Camping, Wheeling or both

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's quite a mix isn't there. I've managed to go camping 3 times in the last year, but twice were sort of "cheating" one of the young blokes at work took us to his Dad's block up near the Grampians. Slept in an old caravan and had bbq and utensils, etc. all ready to go.

When I was in Saudi I had a better routine. In summer it was way too hot, but out of that I reckon during the peak 6 months of good weather I managed to go between 2-4 weekends each month just for an overnight camp and decent drive. I had a couple of mates that would usually join me and we'd pack our trucks and go to work loaded and head off about 4:30pm and then be back and still have the second day of the weekend to do family stuff. We managed one big family camping/touring trip in 3 years and I managed 2 deep desert 1 week trips (really isolated stuff the family didn't want to come on).

I'd like to do more short overnight camps, but also just Saturday arvo drives locally. Miss that I don't really yet have a reliable set of friends back here that will want me to ring and say let's leave in an hour for 4-5 hours, have a play and come back. Problem is we all seem to get too busy. Don't know how to solve that? Once you all work it out let me know
    Thanks, Cameron
    No Patrol now - Just good memories!

Thanks
    Thanked 4,704 Times in 3,138 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cgm View Post
    There's quite a mix isn't there. I've managed to go camping 3 times in the last year, but twice were sort of "cheating" one of the young blokes at work took us to his Dad's block up near the Grampians. Slept in an old caravan and had bbq and utensils, etc. all ready to go. When I was in Saudi I had a better routine. In summer it was way too hot, but out of that I reckon during the peak 6 months of good weather I managed to go between 2-4 weekends each month just for an overnight camp and decent drive. I had a couple of mates that would usually join me and we'd pack our trucks and go to work loaded and head off about 4:30pm and then be back and still have the second day of the weekend to do family stuff. We managed one big family camping/touring trip in 3 years and I managed 2 deep desert 1 week trips (really isolated stuff the family didn't want to come on). I'd like to do more short overnight camps, but also just Saturday arvo drives locally. Miss that I don't really yet have a reliable set of friends back here that will want me to ring and say let's leave in an hour for 4-5 hours, have a play and come back. Problem is we all seem to get too busy. Don't know how to solve that? Once you all work it out let me know
    Only been to the gampions once. But we took the scenic road in over the range.
    Saw lots of 4x4 only tracks but due to the short stay gave them a miss.
    Have you done any of them or know of any good location around there for a play??
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by biggqwesty View Post
    ... Have you done any of them or know of any good location around there for a play??
    Nah, we didn't do much. Drove around a little bit nearby, but not much 4x4 needed. On the last trip we drove into Halls Gap and headed back (in a southerly direction) down a track further west from the main road. But it was pretty tame. Might be a bit different if it was wet. I'll probably be up there again, so was planning to ask around. I think some of the guys from the local club have been up there a few times, but not sure if just to look at the scenery or actually to do some challenging 4x4. If I find out anything I'll update.
    Thanks, Cameron
    No Patrol now - Just good memories!

Thanks
    Thanked 4,704 Times in 3,138 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cgm View Post
    Nah, we didn't do much. Drove around a little bit nearby, but not much 4x4 needed. On the last trip we drove into Halls Gap and headed back (in a southerly direction) down a track further west from the main road. But it was pretty tame. Might be a bit different if it was wet. I'll probably be up there again, so was planning to ask around. I think some of the guys from the local club have been up there a few times, but not sure if just to look at the scenery or actually to do some challenging 4x4. If I find out anything I'll update.
    Yea sweet. We'll organise a meet. I'm sure a few melbournights will come if it's a long weekend.
    Might even get a few from adelaide to
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook