Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rear main seal leak :(

Hey everyone
    Looking for abit of advice on this. I have a small leak from my rear main seal (overnight or during the day there is a small amount of oil on the ground). Is this something I should get fixed asap or is it something I can get fixed maybe when I get a new clutch so I only have to get in there once not twice?

And finally can I still go 4wding or will this cause more problems?

Cheers

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 5,115 Times in 2,901 Posts
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bump...any oil leak only gets worse the longer you leave it. Hopefully someone more knowledgable can answer you more thoroughly.
    2011 GU8 ST 3.0 CRD, ARB Bullbar with IPF spotties, scrub bars and side steps, Snorkel, Dual Battery system, Waeco fridge, Turbo Timer, ARB Roof Rack with 5 IPF spotties across the front, Custom full Leather Bucket seats, DPchip, 3" Taipan exhaust, ARE Intercooler & scoop, Autron EGT/Boost and dual volt gauges, ARB front locker.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MEGOMONSTER For This Useful Post:

pad (5th September 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,442 Times in 3,010 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From experience, although not on a Patrol, when a rear main oil seal lets go, it can let go in a big way. Not saying it always will though.
    Personally given the amount of oil you can lose in a short space of time I wouldn’t risk driving around - it’d be a bit like russian roulette.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

MEGOMONSTER (4th September 2014), pad (5th September 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It should be ok if you are checking your oil level daily. I wouldnt advise 4wding as driving up inclines could help the oil reach your clutch.

I would be replacing it as soon as you can and unless the clutch is very new just replace it anyway.

Cuppa on our 4.2 unless the seal has completely collapsed or is missing then it isnt to much of a drama the seal is just around oil level mostly above it actually amd only sees crankcase pressure.

Again I would be keeping any eye on your oil level and repairing this as soon as suits your budget or time frame.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nissannewby For This Useful Post:

Cuppa (5th September 2014), pad (5th September 2014)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day Pad,

Megomonster is correct (so are the others as well to a point) however, any oil leak will only get worse with time.

A rear main seal is a difficult one to repair as you have to separate the motor from the bell housing to get at it which means either dropping the gearbox or dropping the motor.

If you leave it, oil will eventually find its way to the clutch and or flywheel which will kill the clutch and give you little to no drive at all. If you are in the middle of the bush when this happens (or worse, when your wife is driving the car) then you are in a world of hurt.

My advice is to have a new clutch kit installed which requires to have the rear main seal replaced during this process. Make sure you have the flywheel machined (or in my case) have it replaced and replace the clutch master cylinder as well. Also check all clutch feed lines for wear and if need be, replace them as well. That way you will have trouble free motoring (at least from the clutch side of things) for years to come.

Cheers,

Rob
    Just about to jump into my next Patrol. A 2001 GU II TB45E .

WARNING!: Do not ever use a towball as a recovery point. They are not rated and can become a deadly projectile during a recovery if they snap off, and they have done so with tragic results in the past.