OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Electric water pump positioning in camper...

Thanks
    Thanked 11,437 Times in 6,490 Posts
    Mentioned
    469 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks cuppa. When it stops raining I will check the dimensions of your pump. It may be a better fit. Even though mine may be adequate. But then I need to fit a non return valve to yours don't I?
    Also the fittings that screw into the tank are plastic. You reckon its better to use a metal fitting? Into a plastic tank too..
    As the way I see it, these fittings are exposed under the camper, If I have a rock or something come up and hit the plastic fitting, there goes my water.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    Thanks cuppa. When it stops raining I will check the dimensions of your pump. It may be a better fit. Even though mine may be adequate. But then I need to fit a non return valve to yours don't I?
    Also the fittings that screw into the tank are plastic. You reckon its better to use a metal fitting? Into a plastic tank too..
    As the way I see it, these fittings are exposed under the camper, If I have a rock or something come up and hit the plastic fitting, there goes my water.

Cover that sucker up. Make a bash plate for the pump, or if your concerned about the tank too, cover the lot.
    1999 GU DUAL FUEL 4.5 - 2" OME - 33's KM2s - SNORKEL - CUSTOM DINTS.... Goes by the name Candy (the car not me )

Thanks
    Thanked 7,478 Times in 3,023 Posts
    Mentioned
    176 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have plastic fittings in the pump & tank, but they are in the pod. As lhurley says if you have exposed pump &/or tank underneath it (& any hoses/pipes) should be protected for off road/dirt road use. When you are a long way from anywhere your water supply is crucial. TBH I was a bit suprised to read that those Whale pumps have a higher flow rate than your pressure pump. They certainly don’t give as much pressure. A Whale pump plus non return valve would be smaller than your current pump, but not by a huge amount. A lot lighter though (but we are still only talking ounces).I still think what you have is the better option.

If your water tank is one of those cheap rectangular black, ribbed plastic tanks they also need to be well supported across the full tank for use ‘off road’.. We have two of them under our bus, & used to have them held on by just two steel straps. After a couple of thousand kms of corrugated roads one developed a leak at it’s mid point, a stress fracture. When fitting a replacement I added extra support underneath in the form of a piece of painted plywood. Until then it had had no under protection, but sat behind a ‘curtain’ of conveyor belt material to protect it. when replacing it there were several gouges obviously caused by flying rocks, lucky we had had no puncture. Full under support/protection s probably wise for any plastic tank, & possibly others too.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper.
    Patrol Sold after 11 years of ownership Replaced with 2006 OKA NT Expedition Truck. Cummins, Allison & lots of goodies
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

mudski (19th April 2014)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    469 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I think I'll get some thick rubber sheeting and make up a cover for the fittings into the tank. They're fairly exposed right now...
    20140419_133150 (Medium).jpg

Thanks
    Mentioned
    176 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I'll get some thick rubber sheeting and make up a cover for the fittings into the tank. They're fairly exposed right now...
    20140419_133150 (Medium).jpg
    Yes, they are very exposed. Whilst you are at it, it would be worthwhile changing those hoses to opaque drinking quality ones. Those clear ones will let light in eventually encouraging algae growth & drinking quality hose is needed to avoid ’taste’. Whilst talking of taste adding in an inline carbon filter if you dont have one will be a very worthwhile investment. Many outback towns have water which can vary from pretty ordinary to bloody awful tasting. A carbon filter makes most of it taste ok. One with silver in it helps to prevent the growth of nasties in it if not used for a while. I have ours between tank & tap, & also use a sediment filter when filling the tank. This will allow for water to be taken from rivers or even stock troughs. Add a little chlorine to the water tank to ensure safety & still get good tasting chlorine free water out of the tap.

Patrol Sold after 11 years of ownership Replaced with 2006 OKA NT Expedition Truck. Cummins, Allison & lots of goodies
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

mudski (19th April 2014)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    469 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I assume those filters will slightly restrict flow too?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    176 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I assume those filters will slightly restrict flow too?
    Yes, just a bit, but we still have plenty of flow with the 4.6lpm pump which I have installed in the cold water line. Barely noticeable when compared to the hot water line which is running off the same pump, & that is with a 1 micron filter (which is fine enough to protect from cryptosporidium, giardia & other water borne cysts). I use a 5 micron sediment filter for filling the tank.

We have used this system in our bus for years & never had a problem with getting sick, or having water taste bad & have never needed to clean out the tanks or hoses. Tanks are left full whenever not in use & the water is good to drink no matter how long it has sat. Have never added chlorine to it, but have never filled from anything other than a tap. With the Patrol we will carry chlorine as we may need to use less ‘domesticated’ water supplies from time to time.

The filters don’t prevent that ‘scum’ you occasionally get on the top of your cuppa from some bore water supplies, but it still tastes ok.

A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    469 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    Yes, just a bit, but we still have plenty of flow with the 4.6lpm pump which I have installed in the cold water line. Barely noticeable when compared to the hot water line which is running off the same pump, & that is with a 1 micron filter (which is fine enough to protect from cryptosporidium, giardia & other water borne cysts). I use a 5 micron sediment filter for filling the tank.

We have used this system in our bus for years & never had a problem with getting sick, or having water taste bad & have never needed to clean out the tanks or hoses. Tanks are left full whenever not in use & the water is good to drink no matter how long it has sat. Have never added chlorine to it, but have never filled from anything other than a tap. With the Patrol we will carry chlorine as we may need to use less ‘domesticated’ water supplies from time to time.

The filters don’t prevent that ‘scum’ you occasionally get on the top of your cuppa from some bore water supplies, but it still tastes ok.
    I drained the tank and found lots of plastic shavings in the tank, again. Had to pull the pump apart again to to clean out the shavings, again too....
    20140419_164523 (Medium).jpg20140419_165440 (Medium).jpg
    Plus I think I need to work out a way so when the tailgate kitchen shuts it doesn't kink the hose like before...
    20140419_161047 (Medium).jpg

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12