Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: She's still wobbling

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo65 View Post
    Before new rubber ( Yoki Geos A/T-S) & fr whl brgs there were no issues, but since...well fair to say it's p*ssed me off no end. Wobble felt thru & visible on strg whl only. Speaking to my old man who has owned early landy's & Jeeps reckons to remove a shim from the swivel hubs thus altering the pre load on the brgs?? All comments thus far received have all been in good gesture for which I am thankful but what has got me stuffed is why why has all this started since getting new rubber & whl brgs....something has obviously changed in the set up/dynamics. The joys huh. Will let you know once RTS damper is fitted.
    changing rims front to back can cause issues if they are buckled
    07 crd,,bridgestone 697lt, 2.75 buedesert ex, SOLD theres a lot of my blood, sweat and money in that troll.

92 gq ti tb42efi my brothers gq extractors dual batteries brake controller uhf alloy bullbar SOLD with a heavy heart but gone to a nice young fella

13 y62 the beast that burbles

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Westy, no bushes have been changed as yet....bushes on fr suspension are Nolathane & seem relatively new but who knows. Rubber I was referring to was tyres. Will let you know about RTS as it arrived this morning so will bite the bullet & fit it. Landcruiser Park this w/end so we'll see what happens.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,432 Times in 3,189 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have read somewhere that rims with a deeper offset can help control the wobbles by putting a bit more pressure on the swivel bearings. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.
    My advice is: not to follow my advice.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok I have had the wheels balanced and thought it was fixed but today out of the blue she wobbled like hell again at about 70kmh the place that did my swivel hub bearings said they didn't have to use shims in swivel hub caps is this normal?? I'm really starting to get annoyed now as I'm not sure what to do now and yes it has rtc dampner on it and I've spent lots of coin replacing everything surely someone can help me solve this cheers
    Gq patrol lwb 4.2diesel running gt3076 top mount intercooled (with fan) 15psi 4inch springs 2inch body lift slowly adding bits as I go love it

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also my rims are huge offset neg 44 I've been told but it shouldn't have anything to do with it because they have been on there from day 1 with no trouble
    Gq patrol lwb 4.2diesel running gt3076 top mount intercooled (with fan) 15psi 4inch springs 2inch body lift slowly adding bits as I go love it

Thanks
    Thanked 4,694 Times in 3,135 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have not replaced bushes I'd start with both panhard rods.
    Nolothane have some not so good reports of prem wear.
    Genuine bushes are the go.

You say the hub bearings got done, what about wheel bearings??
    If not then try tightening them a little..
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It has brand new toughdog panhards all bearings were done swivel and wheel bearings a week and a half ago

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also as I said it has a new adjustable drag link wheel alignment just done I'm running outa things to do:/ anymore ideas??? I'm at a loss
    Last edited by Gq turbo; 1st December 2013 at 12:23 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,041 Times in 1,746 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gq turbo View Post
    Ok I have had the wheels balanced and thought it was fixed but today out of the blue she wobbled like hell again at about 70kmh the place that did my swivel hub bearings said they didn't have to use shims in swivel hub caps is this normal?? I'm really starting to get annoyed now as I'm not sure what to do now and yes it has rtc dampner on it and I've spent lots of coin replacing everything surely someone can help me solve this cheers
    Quote Originally Posted by Gq turbo View Post
    Also my rims are huge offset neg 44 I've been told but it shouldn't have anything to do with it because they have been on there from day 1 with no trouble
    Not having shims in the swivel hub bearings will put more preload on the bearing, so it is less likely to cause this.

I used to run rims with -44, I also put more preload on the wheel bearings to keep the wobbles in check, the downside is the more preload, more heat, shorter bearing lifespan. But there is a fair bit of extra weight the wheel bearing has to endure

Replacing bushes has been mentioned many times.
    There is a big difference between bushes that "seem" ok and bushes that are ok. The crush tube in Nolathane bushes will pull away from the bush and it will slop around in there. Flex it up and see if the crush tube is pulling away from the bush
    96 GQ coil/Cab
    08 G6eT

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    As a last resort throw some balance beads into the tyre,
    but first I'd be jacking a front wheel off the ground and making sure bearings are tight.

Can you try with another rim/tyre combo??
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast