OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Thread: Help !! Auto Trans with 2 gears - 1-2 only no drive or overdrive or kickback '' 98 Gu

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help !! Auto Trans with 2 gears - 1-2 only no drive or overdrive or kickback '' 98 Gu

Hello everyone '' Sorry to hassle anyone but trying to run my 98 Gu Ti 4500 petrol on a pension,
    Here goes I'll try to explain what happened ''I'm hoping its something simple or cheaper because it happened instantly and not over a long period of time , something like a sensor , fuse, elec issue??
    (In 1st no probs grabs clean) , (2nd '' 1st gear sluggish ,slipping until change to 2nd then no probs ),
    (Drive '' 1st sluggish, then 2nd no probs ,no third or overdrive ) When coasting downhill at speed wants to change but doesn't engage and tacho speed drops off to idle ? Centre console A/T switch
    Hold light green is there but red power light is gone ? Oil levels are fine no leaks , Any Ideas Would
    be Greatly Appreciated '''... Really need the patrol cause living in caravan past 5 yrs.. Thanks Everyone .. Hopefully its a sort of cheaper easy fix ????

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    When was it serviced last.
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sounds like bands are slipping
    2007 GU 6 /ST-L / MYO8 / DIESEL/AUTO /MOONSTONE /pro vent 200
    OH LEATHER IS NICE

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey mate
    New here, but first thing I would be looking at is the oil level - service has been mentioned, but without oil pressure in the valve body, the gears will "flare" in between changes which sounds just like you describe, and being sequential in changes, without pressure to the valve body (to do it's "thing") you would be possibly suffering lack of ability to change up to higher/taller gears.

Hope you haven't cooked it, as that won't be resolved by simply topping up/changing the oil - rule of thumb with auto boxes is "keep them cool, keep them for life" ... if the oil has been low for some time, you may have cooked it and that is far from a "pension friendly" issue sorry to say ...

Nissan Patrol gearboxes (like everything on them in general) are high maintenance, attention seeking whores - but just like whores, keep throwing the $$$ into them in the "right" spaces (doesn't mean break the bank) and they'll keep performing just like you've paid for!

All the best ...

Thanks
    Thanked 4,882 Times in 3,232 Posts
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by banshee12 View Post
    Oil levels are fine
    Was it a mechanic that checked the levels or yourself, if you did it yourself did you heat up the gearbox oil and run through your gears or was it checked cold???
    Time is never wasted when your wasted all the time

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    where abouts are you at the moment
    2007 GU 6 /ST-L / MYO8 / DIESEL/AUTO /MOONSTONE /pro vent 200
    OH LEATHER IS NICE