Thread: CAV fuel filter on 4.2TDi

Thanks
    Thanked 7,450 Times in 3,014 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CAV fuel filter on 4.2TDi

Has anyone fitted one of these filters to this motor?
    Where did you find space to fit it?
    If you fitted it before before the factory filter did/do you have any problem bleeding it?
    I have seen CAV fuel fiter housings with bleed pumps fitted - would this be worthwhile?

Any pics of one fitted under a GU bonnet with 4.2TDi would be appreciated.

Thanks

Cuppa

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 13,566 Times in 6,624 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have one fitted to my GQ cuppa. It is actually fitted to the bottom of the factory priming pump and is used as am alternative to a factory filter. By design you can change them more often and see any water separation and drain it as required.

I like it
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Delphi HDF 296 fiitted before the factory filter on my 4.2TDi. No problems bleeding fuel system.
    Has water seperator on the bottom with clear bowl. Never had any water in it yet however I try to be selective ( if possible ) as to where I buy fuel.
    Best to unbolt housing as a unit ( with filter attached ) , remove filter / bowl , then tip upside down to install new filter etc because there is an O ring that is tricky to keep aligned if you try to do the change over in situ.
    Remember that a high IQ doesn't make up for a lack of common sense.
    Learn from the mistakes of others - you won't live long enough to make them all yourself !

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,613 Times in 723 Posts
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cuppa.
    Mate the Delphi units are very good and their filters, filter down to around 5.5 microns where the Ryco and many others only filter to about 16 microns.
    Before or after OE filter doesn`t really make any difference but remember there is a small gauze filter under the banjo bolt of the fuel inlet pipe on the injector pump this can be a bit of a bugger to get at when your on the road.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You could mount it wherever you like cuppa. I have seen them mounted off the tray just above the fuel tank and accessed from the gap between tyre and guard (no bleed issues). You will see a benefit in performance and bleeding if you run a facet style lift pump also.

How often do you change your current fuel filter? I change mine every 5k and doing it this regularly should see no issues fuel wise. The factory filters do have a water trap in them and a sensor to tell you if there is water in there. In saying that extra filtration will always be beneficial as injector pumps are sensitive bits of gear.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would like to second Cuppa's request to see a picture of one of these installed under the bonnet. It does sound like a good idea if there is space.