OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: RLI's Cape York travelling Wilburys tour August 2013!

Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Oh and love the pics.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to nissannewby For This Useful Post:

PMC (8th December 2012)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Hardcore
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,196 Times in 881 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'evening Trendsetters!

I am taking from the 1st August to 30th August 2013, to travel up to the Cape and back home to Coffs Harbour.

I will be looking at meeting with everyone at Port Douglas on 3rd August 2013. That allows folks travelling from Victoria and New South Wales to travel safely to Cairns.

Allow between 12 to 14 days to tour up to the Cape and back to Cairns. Allow another 3 to 4 days getting home from Cairns. Obviously, Queenslander's will need less travel time. Allow yourself minimum 22 days, perfect would be 28 days for the trip. Remember it is a once in a life time opportunity and it is about the fun, adventure, memorable moments all done is a safe and secure manner!

PS, I will be submitting a draft travel Itinerary for everyone to peruse over in the next couple of days! The itinerary can be used as a guide to suit your own personal requirements.

Regards,

RLI
    Last edited by PMC; 8th December 2012 at 08:19 PM.
    The halls been rented the bands been paid, time to see you dance!

Hardcore
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nissannewby View Post
    It will be awesome . Ill be the tec (tail end charlie) and help anyone out and possibly give them a nudge with the 200 killer wasps lol. All in all I think this will be a great trip I cant wait.
    G'day mate!

Ye-haa, bring it on baby!

PS, 8 months and counting!

Regards,

RLI

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RLI View Post
    G'evening Trendsetters!

I am taking from the 1st August to 30th August 2013, to travel up to the Cape and back home to Coffs Harbour.

I will be looking at meeting with everyone at Port Douglas on 3rd August 2013. That allows folks travelling from Victoria and New South Wales to travel safely to Cairns.

Allow between 12 to 14 days to tour up to the Cape and back to Cairns. Allow another 3 to 4 days getting home from Cairns. Obviously, Queenslander's will need less travel time. Allow yourself minimum 22 days, perfect would be 28 days for the trip. Remember it is a once in a life time opportunity and it is about the fun, adventure, memorable moments all done is a safe and secure manner!

PS, I will be submitting a draft travel Itinerary for everyone to peruse over in the next couple of days! The itinerary can be used as a guide to suit your own personal requirements.

Regards,

RLI
    Mate. Perfect timing. My birthdays the 12th August - have I said can't wait!!?? Thanks for organising this trip.

Jas

2012 Silver GU 8. Bullbar, Warn XD9000 winch, snorkel, towbar, roof bars and rack, awning, 33" Mickey Thompson ATZ 4ribs, 2" lift - Dobinsons coils and Koni shocks, more to come......

2013 Travelling Wilbury's Cape York Trip - bring it on!

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Hardcore
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lorrieandjas View Post
    Mate. Perfect timing. My birthdays the 12th August - have I said can't wait!!?? Thanks for organising this trip.

Jas
    G'evening Jas,

Now we have something special to celebrate at the tip!

Regards,

RLI

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sure do! Loren (my partner) is over the moon about this trip too. Already starting the lists! We're in Brisbane so happy to convoy up with you on your way up from Coffs. We're in for a month and soooo looking forward to it. Are we there yet?! Can't wait to see the itinerary.

Jas

2012 Silver GU 8. Bullbar, Warn XD9000 winch, snorkel, towbar, roof bars and rack, awning, 33" Mickey Thompson ATZ 4ribs, 2" lift - Dobinsons coils and Koni shocks, more to come......

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hey Jas maybe yourself and I could meet the convoy in the same spot?

Hardcore
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DRAFT PROPOSAL

Day 1 Date: 3rd August Time: Anytime.

Rendezvous location for everyone: BIG4 Port Douglas Glengarry Holiday Park, this is located only 6km on the south side of Port Douglas on the left hand side. Cost; unpowered site $34.00, powered site: $44.00. Note, this is peak season time up North! We can do all our supplies shopping at the local Coles supermarket in Port Douglas and the various other retail outlets. This is the last stop for discounted Beer & wine and soft drinks for the children. We can have slap up B/Q at the Camp kitchen area whilst the children play in the pool area. Time-out to conduct our last vehicle tweaks before we depart the next morning.

Day 2 Departure time: 8.00am

Port Douglas to Lion’s Den Hotel’ via Bloomfield Track;

We head from Port Douglas to Daintree River crossing taking in the Daintree National Park, stopping at the various look-out locations for photos. Lunch at the Thornton beach-side café. We then travel to Cape Tribulation for that famous snap of the rainforest to the sea shot. Then we head via the Bloomfield track to the Lion’s Den Hotel, visiting Wujal Wujal to see the famous Bloomfield falls. I will ring the Wujal Wujal Aboriginal Community Centre on (07) 4060-8155 for permission to visit the falls. After viewing the falls we then head from Wujal Wujal to Lion’s Den Hotel for overnight stop a few coldies at the bar followed by a good bullshit session.

Day 3 Departure time: 9.00am

Lion’s Den Hotel to Musgrove Roadhouse via Battlecamp Rd; taking in the Lakefield National Park, swimming stops at both Endeavour Falls and Isabella Falls, lunch at Old Laura home stead. Travel to Pandanus Park and do some fishing on the banks of the Normandy River. (Please remember to be Croc wise all the time Trendsetters) from there we will head to Musgrove Roadhouse and set-up camp. A good feed followed by several driving stress relive beverages, followed by another a good bullshit session.

Day 4 Departure time: 9.00am

Musgrove Roadhouse to Weipa via the PDR (Peninsular Development Road); taking in Coen and Archer River. Lunch stop at Archer River and a quick dip in the various waterholes. Continuing 150ks travel to Weipa and set up camp at the Weipa Camping Ground. Powered and unpowered sites available, good shade, brilliant fishing and you can also hire a boat here. Shit, shave, shower, shampoo followed by a good feed and copious amounts of driving stress relive beverages, followed by another good bullshit session!

Day 5 Departure time: 9.00am

Weipa to Bramwell Junction via both the PDR (Peninsular Development Road) and the Telegraph Road;
    Organise a Mine and Town tour of Weipa and have lunch. Travel from Weipa to Bramwell Junction stoping at Moreton Telegraph station en route. Set-up camp, followed by a good feed and a couple of driving stress relive beverages, followed by another a good bullshit session. We will also carry-out a recce of the Old Telegraph Track by talking to Jamie from Bramwell Junction road-house and travel 2ks to check-out Palm Creek.

Day 6 Departure time: 8.00am

Bramwell Junction to the Elliot Falls camp ground via the Old Telegraph Track;
    The first crossing (Palm creek) this is a pisser, steep ruttered out on entry and an absolute bog-hole on the departure side of the creek requiring snatching and winching. (I am getting a hard-on just thinking about the Tele-Track, oops sorry about that Trendsetters!) from Palm Creek the next crossing is Ducie Creek, (time for a quick wash and cool down after being knackered from the exhausting recovery session at Palm Creek.) 10 klicks later we hit Alice Creek (easy crossing) Punching and battering are way on we then arrive at the Dulhunty River time for a coffee/tea break and a swim (always been mindful of those long tailed, four legged, leather snapping suit-cases that lurk about). We then head of for Bertie Creek (here we to watch out for deep holes in the rocky bottom other-wise easy.) Continuing on, the track narrows to the famous Gunshot crossing. (My advice here is to take one of the chicken tracks. It’s not worth damaging your pride and joy) Lunch stop at the Gunshot, pull out the deck chairs and watch the number of dick-brains that engage the crossing (fun to watch.) Next is Cockatoo Creek (rocky bottom, watch-out for the large pot-holes) finally Sailor Creek (wooden bridge) late afternoon swim at the magnificent Fruit Bat Falls. If we cannot get a camp at Elliot falls camp ground about 10ks away. We will then set–up camp at Canal Creek, just another 6 ks further north.( pristine safe swimming for the children and of course the adults!) My family and I spent two days here in 2011 it was fantastic. We will set up camp on the north side bank of Canal Creek. Shit, shave, swim and shampoo followed by a good feed and copious amounts of track driving stress relive beverages, followed yet again, by another a good bullshit session. (By now we should be well and truly be getting into the swing of things! Ye-haa baby bring in on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Day 7 Departure time: 8.00am

Elliot Falls or Canal Creek camp ground to Punsand Bay Camping Resort via the Northern section of the Old Telegraph Track;
    After breakfast another quick swim before heading on the Tele track, off-roading with serve bulges in our pants! The first crossing of the morning is Sam Creek (Sandy bottom, easy crossing) then followed by Mistake Creek (Steep eroded shit hole departure and can be boggy due to volume of traffic, otherwise an easy crossing) next is Cannibal Creek (steep entry and departure, we will watch out for the wash-out on departure section of the bank) Then comes Cypress Creek (we will have to be careful with our wheel placement over the old rooted/farked wooden bridge, we just spot one another across) next is Logan Creek ( a bit swampy otherwise an easy crossing) finally the granddaddy Nolan’s Broke ( in 2011 over 30 vehicle’s shit the whiskers at this crossing lounge lizards, steep drop into water, this is the deepest crossing on the Telegraph track, by the time we get here in August the water level should be low. We will have a coffee or cup of tea and watch the others cross first, we will get someone to walk it first, (Scott Thomas, looks large enough to slow down the crocs, while we all cross safely!) If it is still deep, this is where we break-out the 4x4 bra or drop sheet to put over the front of the vehicle, second low gently pushing your way through getting a bow wave going, snorkel a must have item on this crossing folks.) We then take track on the left to the Northern Bypass Road to the Jardine River crossing. Lunch time. (Please note: Do not lose your ferry ticket as it covers your permit for the area, also make sure you have cash to pay for your ticket, about $90.00 for memory. I will ring them next year to confirm the price!) We then travel the remaining 50ks to Bamaga (this was the worst section of road for corrugation’s.) One hour later arrive at Bamaga. Travel into the main street for supplies at the supermarket and the pub for coldies. We can then get fuel-up at the BP servo on the outskirts of town towards Punsand Bay Resort. After refuelling then travel another 24ks north to Punsand Bay Resort. We have made it, you off-road lounge lizards! Set-up camp, shit, shave, shower and shampoo then followed by a good feed and copious amounts of track driving stress relive beverages, followed yet again by another serious bullshit session.

Day 8 Wake-up anytime you like!

Punsand Bay Camping Resort to Cape York (the tip) yee-haa baby, you’ve don it!
    Travel 9ks to the car park at the Tip (take drinks and good joggers/sandshoes for the walk up and over the rocks whilst walking to the tip, get that famous photo) pack a lunch and soak up the experience for the morning. We will then head back to camp whilst checking out the various WW2 aircraft wrecks sites scattered around the Cape. That evening shit, shave, shower and shampoo then followed by another good feed induced with copious amounts of Tip driving stress relive beverages, also followed yet again by another serious bullshit session.

Day 9 Wake-up anytime you like!

Punsand Bay Camping Resort to Thursday Island
    Travel by boat to Thursday Island and do a bit of sightseeing for the day for those that want to! For others, do want ever takes your fancy. Personally, I will be fishing with my daughter! That evening continue the trend to shit, shave, shower and shampoo then followed by another good feed induced with various amounts of fishing stress relive beverages, followed by the usual daily bullshit session. (Gees, I reckon that one I lost must have been a world record bara!)

Day 10 Wake-up anytime you like!

Punsand Bay day three!
    Fishing & crabbing or 4x4 track driving the various tracks or more sight-seeing! That evening, you guessed it Trendsetters, continue the trend to shit, shave, shower and shampoo then followed by another good feed induced with various amounts of fishing stories ie; the that got a way, induced by stress relive beverages, followed by the usual daily bullshit session.

Day 11 Departure time: 8.00am

Punsand Bay Camping Resort to Vrilya Point via Northern Bypass Road
    Time to conduct thorough vehicle checks before we leave; i.e.
    1. Check engine oil, coolant level and check for any oil leaks
    2. Check font-end components and rear-end suspension components (i.e. check that all nuts are all tight.)
    3. Check vehicle for any broken or loos parts (fix accordingly)
    4. Check tyres and tyre pressures (especially when cold)
    5. Check roofs and storage items are secured properly
    This should be part of your daily routine check first thing after breakfast!
    We then travel south back to Jardine River crossing, from their travel another 27ks then turn right heading west towards the coast. About 4ks in we will cross an old log bridge over Crystal Creek, morning tea brake and time to cool off and take a dip in Crystal creek. (This is another old dilapidated farked bridge.) We then travel another 23ks until we come to a junction, we turn right and head north up the beach about 8ks until we come to an old light house ship wreck. Great camping and fishing around here. We can set-up camp and cast a few lures or baits into the waters and catch dinner. A good feed and several driving stress relive beverages whilst watching the beautiful sunset, followed by the usual bullshit session.

Day 12 Wake-up anytime you-like!

Vrilya Point
    Wake up to the spectacular sunrise and start fishing or just explore the region. A good feed followed by several fishing relive beverages whilst watching again the beautiful sunset, followed by the usual fishing story bullshit session.

Day 13 Departure time: 8.00am

Vrilya Point to Lockhart River via both Northern and Southern Bypass Road
    Have breakfast after waking up to another spectacular sunrise, conduct vehicle checks and travel back to Northern Bypass Road and head south to Fruit Bat Falls for morning tea and another cool swim in the falls. We then travel from Fruit Bat Falls about 62ks to an intersection and turn left into the Frenchman’s road turn off; this is about 2ks north of Batavia Downs home stead. We then travel about 36ks until we come to the dreaded Pascoe River crossing, (we will take care when crossing the Pascoe River, she can be at times fast flowing and deep, This where we get Scott Thomas and Fatt’s to walk the crossing first, both steep approach and departure angles.) After crossing the Pascoe, lunch stop. We will then travel about another 16ks to the Mt Tozer look-out. Then travel to Lockhart River and set-up camp either here or travel another 20ks to Chili Beach camp ground. That evening shit, shave, shower and shampoo followed by another good feed induced with various amounts of Frenchman’s Road driving stress relive beverages, followed by, (you guessed it) another 4x4 bullshit session.

Day 14 Wake-up anytime you-like!

Chili Beach/Lockhart River
    Explore the region or just fish the area which is fantastic. Relax and have a few coldies and watch the spectacular sunset. That evening the usuals shit, shave, shower and shampoo followed by another great feed with the usual Chili Beach/Lockhart River stress relive beverages, followed by, (you guessed it yet again ) another fishing bullshit session!

Day 15 Wake-up anytime you-like!

Lockhart River to Hann River Roadhouse via both the Portland and the Peninsula Development Roads
    Travel 100ks via Portland Road to the Peninsula Development Road turn off, turn left and head 36ks to Archer River Roadhouse for a lunch stop. Travel 235ks from Archer River Roadhouse down the Peninsula Development Road to Hann River Roadhouse and set-up camp. After travelling the bumpy, dusty corrugated road time to shit, shave, shower and shampoo followed by another great feed forced down with numerous amounts of Peninsular Development Road 4x4 driving stress relive beverages, followed by, (you guessed it) another bullshit session.

Day 16 Departure time: 8.00am

Hann River Roadhouse to Cooktown via both the Peninsula Development Road and the Kennedy Hwy
    Travel 138ks from Hann River Roadhouse to Lakeland for morning tea stop. Then travel a further 65ks to Cooktown. Set up camp at the Lion’s Den hotel. 4x4 driving stress relive beverages at the bar, followed by, (you guessed it) our final bullshit session together!

Day 17 Wake-up anytime you-like!

Travel 270ks back to Cairns either by the Bloomfield track or by the black stuff ie, the Mulligan Hwy.
    I hope you enjoyed your trip!

It’s one of those once in a life time experience Trendsetters, if you see an opportunity in life like travelling on the old Telegraph track (“folks you just have to farken go for it”.) Folks, you do not need to complete any difficult stages of the track, if it is going to compromise the safety of your family or damage your vehicle!!! We will not be doing it!

There is a Cock-Head Tree outside the front of Bramwell Junction roadhouse for all those farken cock-heads and dick-brains that wrecked their vehicles on the tele-track due to stupidity. Their number plates hang of this tree as to a reminder to everyone to take it easy.

Another option folks is to set up camp at Bramwell Junction, travel the southern section of the track with just our vehicles and required recovery gear. We set off early morning allow 5 hours driving. Have lunch at Gunshot whilst watching the farken cock-heads and dick-brains damage their vehicles. Arrive mid-afternoon at Fruit-bat falls for a refreshing swim (possibly increase your family size 9 months later) it’s that sort of place.We then travel back 70ks to Bramwell Junction via Southern Bypass Road. Shit shave shampoo followed by a good feed and copious amounts of Telegraph track driving stress relive beverages, followed by a good bullshit session. (By now you should be well and truly getting into the swing of things!)

The following morning we leave around 7.00am, head back up the Southern Bypass Road to the junction which turns right into the Northern section of the Telegraph track. Set up camp at Elliot falls or Canal Creek. With just our vehicles and required recovery gear, we set of and allow 3 hours driving. Have lunch at Nolan’s Brook whilst watching the cock-heads damage their trucks. (Yehaa baby you did it!) Shit shave shampoo followed by a good feed and copious amounts of Telegraph track driving stress relive beverages, followed by another we made it bullshit session.

PS, Lounge lizards, I recommend you all to purchase the following publications to wet your appetites;

1. Cape York (An Adventure’s Guide) by Ron and Viv Moon.
    2. Cape York (Atlas &Guide) by Hema maps

Pre-trip preparation!

Trendsetter’s make sure you fully service your vehicle before you leave i.e. change the engine oil, change the oil filters, change the fuel and air filters, change or check gearbox/transfer case oils, change or check front and rear diff oils, check the brake and clutch fluids, change engine coolant, water hoses and the fan belts, check the brakes and brake lines, check and repack the wheel bearings and front hubs, check and replace any wet seals. Check the exhaust and brackets, check fuel tanks, check and replace the windscreen wiper blades and fill your windscreen bottle with water. Check your battery, if it is more than 3 years old replace it. Check your vehicles lights, indicators and brake/tail lights. Check that your trailer plug is working correctly.

Suspension and tyres!

Fit quality suspension and tyres, (avoid “farking” cheap crap!) This will help elevate any potential disasters when travelling over the hundreds of kilometres of severe corrugations. (Remember what you pay is what you get when it comes to suspension and tyres.) One of the biggest problems that damage tyres on the developmental road is tyre pressures. Too low, they bag-out and get ripped to “farking” shreds on the sharp rocks that lay in the sides of the corrugations. Too high and they also get ripped to “farking” shreds by the protruding sharp rocks in the corrugations. The locals recommend around 28psi and travel around 80ks per hour. (When we head up to the Cape, we will check out the local towns and roadhouses to see all the damaged tyres that they get every year.) When it comes to tyres fit light truck tyres they are extremely tuff and more durable than there radial counter parts. Radial ATRs are too soft in the side walls and will definitely end up being “farking” corrugation bait for the developmental road.

Recovery gear and spares!

Make sure you carry the basic recovery kit with you, the minimum you will need is, snatch strap, snatch block, rated d or bow shackles, air compressor, tyre puncture repair kit and a couple of spare inner tubes, a water bra/tarp-cover (especially for those “farking” ball tearing water crossings) a shovel, high lift jack and or either an axe or a chainsaw. (If you or one of your party as a winch, this too will be great!) Don’t forget to carry spare radiator hoses, fan belts. (If you have had your major service as suggested above, the old ones now become your spares.) Take with you an assortment of nut and bolts, especially suspension type i.e. shock absorber nuts, tie rod nuts, steering arm nuts. Suspension and tyre failures were the Peninsular Development Roads main culprit’s followed thirdly by battery failure.

Daily routine maintenance!

Get into a daily routine of checking first thing in the morning, tyre pressures, wheel nuts, oil and water levels, check air filter, and check for any damage under your vehicle or any signs of fluid leaks.

Don’t forget to carry!

A quality first aid kit (especially if you have children.) Carry plenty of insect repellent and anti-itching creams. Don’t forget the camera and mobile phone chargers and spare sim cards.

Remember to be croc wise!

After all, it is those “farkers” back yard! We don’t swim in any lagoons or rivers or the ocean up on the Cape especially at night time. These farkers are nocturnal and are more active at night, and so too are the “farking” sharks!

RLI’s final Cape advice!

Remember Trendsetters to travel around 80ks per hour to help avoid damage to you, your family and most important your vehicle. Remember it’s supposed to be a life changing holiday, not a race to destroy your vehicle. (Don’t allow your number plate to be added with all those other Dick-brains on the dreaded Cock-head tree at Bramwell Junction whom “farked” their vehicle!!)

For further info on the conditions of the Telegraph Track, contact Jamie at Bramwell Junction roadhouse on (07) 4060-3230.

Please do not forget this is only a draft proposal, please advise all of us what you would like to do.

8 MONTHS AND COUNTING YE-HAA BABY HERE WE COME!

PS, No farking swearing, there will be women and children present!

Regards,

RLI

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PMC For This Useful Post:

lorrieandjas (9th December 2012), neet_wagon (15th February 2015), nissannewby (9th December 2012)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey mate - thanks for this. Looks awesome. I'm happy to run with whatever itinerary people agree on - haven't been there before so happy to be led. Bring it on!

Jas

13. The Following User Says Thank You to lorrieandjas For This Useful Post:

PMC (12th December 2012)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey RLI - when are you leaving Coffs and how many days you taking to Port? I might tag-along if you are driving up through Brisbane? I'm flexible on dates so happy to lave Brisbane whenever you and others are on the way through. Are you taking 2 or 3 days to get to Port?

Jas

15. The Following User Says Thank You to lorrieandjas For This Useful Post:

PMC (12th December 2012)

Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast