Thread: Patrol Recovery point ?

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,830 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i snapped a stock recovery hook off my hilux when i knocked down a tree 4wheeling in Toowoomba dan (danandtamspatrol)was there and saw the whole thing. and i don’t believe i hit that hard also.
    some of the sets are relatively cheep but i would prob fit one on ea side

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

RIP - valued member and true gentleman of this forum that will be missed by many! Silver's Avatar
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigAL.H View Post
    Thanks for all the feed back guy's i think i have decided to use a tow bar/Hayman Reece recovery hitch on the rear and fit a recovery plate to the front just in case i ever get in a snatch strap recovery situation and use the rear loop in the middle of the bumper if i just need to tow some one.

2nd thoughts if i have a Hayman Reece recovery hitch i would not need to use the rear loop and may just unbolt it all together.
    I'd leave the loop there - if nothing else you can tie a canoe etc on roof bars down to it :-)

If you search back in this forum on recovery you will find a heap of stuff, including other info from ET and others including the use of bridles. Provided it is long enough, a suitably rated webbing strap bridle attached to a recovery point on each chassis rail can be better than just one. If nothing else, it can help keep major loads more even across the chassis. But, it needs to be long enough - a short bridle can make the loads worse. Here is a link where ET talks about bridles http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...ghlight=bridle

It really is worth doing a bit of a search to look at existing threads, and also there are some good manuals linked to this site as well. Search on Recovery, Recovery Point, Bridle, Snatch, etc
    Last edited by Silver; 29th April 2012 at 01:14 AM.
    RIP - valued member and true gentleman of this forum that will be missed by many!

"As a boat owner and a four wheel drive owner I feel like a pelican: every where I look I see a big bill in front of me”

Thanks
    Thanked 3,835 Times in 2,012 Posts
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G’day folks.

Here’s another option for recovery points. This is what I have on DX grunt.

Please, please do not compromise or improvise on safety. If you have to, save up.

Personally, I would not buy second hand recovery gear, but that’s my choice.

There’s been enough threads and advice in signatures about towing/snatching with a towball. Flying towballs do kill, injure and damage!

I have front recovery points on both sides and use a bridle to distribute the weight evenly when being recovered. Having said that, I've never been recovered using my new equipment. Wayne, where are you and your GQ? PML

Take care out there.

Rossco
    Last edited by DX grunt; 29th April 2012 at 08:20 AM.
    Winner of 'Best 4 x 4 ' at the 2017 Albany Agricultural Society Inc - Town n Country Ute Muster.

Ex Telstra - 2005, 4.2 TDi ute -with pod and more fruit than a grocery shop.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by megatexture View Post
    i snapped a stock recovery hook off my hilux when i knocked down a tree 4wheeling in Toowoomba dan (danandtamspatrol)was there and saw the whole thing. and i don’t believe i hit that hard also.
    some of the sets are relatively cheep but i would prob fit one on ea side
    your right we didnt hit that hard at all

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    glad this war brought up , cleared my mind.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver View Post
    Interesting question BigAl.H.

There are a few threads on here that contain a lot of valuable information, and peoples' opinions.

You need a set up that both recoverer and recoveree are happy with, as well as being safe.

For instance, I have fitted the front plates pictured above, despite being personally comfortable with the factory hook at the front of my GQ. No point stressing a potential recoverer who does not thinkg the same as me. Or stressing myself because no one will hook up :-)

I also bought one of those fittings that go into the tow bar receiver, however I have since learned that the general (but not universal) consensus is that the factory tow bar pin is just as good.

Opinions on this might differ, too, but I think that if it is a snatch recovery, the snatch strap should be the weakest link. Better to have a strap fail than have a strap pull a bit of metalwork off a chassis and launch it. Slow and steady and adequate preparation should keep the stresses and strains within sensible levels.
    I concur!

Tim
    Getting Older Is Unavoidable, Growing Up Is Optional!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ET, I was thinking along some lines you started on. An after market recovery point is only as good as the bolts used. What rating are the high tensile bolts that are attaching the plates to the chasis. Aren't high tensile made to snap when over loaded? Mild steel will bend. Towbars are Mild steel welded at certain lenghts, angles and points to increase their strength. They are rated to TOW the loads stated. They are not fitted as recovery points( go on, go check). We as offroaders take it for granted that we can slip in that receiver and do a recovery, trust that towbar, and the bolts holding it!

If one of those recovery point plates come off one day, by breaking bolts and go through a rear of a 4WD, or even a Bow shackle that breaks a pin and does the same thing, what will we say then, what advice for recoveries will we give then.

Don't anyone think fo a momemnet it can't or won't happen, because it can and will, because many DIY's don't know the ratings of high tensile bolts. And we as humans become lazy and forget to check our chasis and attachments for cracks, rust, and loose/worn bolts.

I believe broken Factory hooks have been used in a heavy snatch and left unchecked for a long time, resulting in failure when it was needed again. I am no engineer, but, I believe I have a good understanding of metal fatigue, and equipment misuse.

I personally believe, the less metal positively attached to a snatch strap, the less chance of a missile. I believe The pin in the towbar through the snatch strap eye and the strap onto the factory recovery hook with a dampner will perform most recoveries safely. It comes back to appropiate action for each recovery.

Well That's my thoughts Tim
    Last edited by Finly Owner; 30th April 2012 at 11:26 PM.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some other points to consider are what you are attaching the recovery point to how are you using it. I have seen pictures of several recovery points that have failed not because of the rated hook but because what it was attached to was not suitable for example only bolting to one side of the chaisie instead of right through and using crush tubes to prevent overtightening and deforming the chaisie. I also bedleive that we need to make sure that the method of recovery that is going to be used is the corect one and not just the quick and easy.
    I understand that I am new here and these are just my thoughts
    P.S plesae forgive my spelling

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tank View Post
    Some other points to consider are what you are attaching the recovery point to how are you using it. I have seen pictures of several recovery points that have failed not because of the rated hook but because what it was attached to was not suitable for example only bolting to one side of the chaisie instead of right through and using crush tubes to prevent overtightening and deforming the chaisie. I also bedleive that we need to make sure that the method of recovery that is going to be used is the corect one and not just the quick and easy.
    I understand that I am new here and these are just my thoughts
    P.S plesae forgive my spelling
    I agree whole heartedly!

Tim

PS new or not you have the right to express your thoughts here equally.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,754 Times in 7,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    So the best thing to do is not get bogged, or get into a situation where a snatch recovery is required in the first place............. oh or don't be lazy and dig yourself out as much as possible so just a nice easy tow is all that's required ........ or a set of maxtrax or similar.

Tap off!!!!!!!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast