So my previous 4x4 was a gen 3 montero and I never really had any issues figuring that out, but the hubs and 4x4 system on my GQ have me puzzled.

Firstly, I’m in Iceland, so I’m dealing with wind, snow and ice a lot in winter.
The Y60 I purchased has the standard rear hubs operable via a switch. It also has air operated front hubs.
Previous owner told me to only engage the hubs if I’m stuck in something serious as otherwise windup can be an issue.

When the car was delivered to me it was in 4H. Snowy roads but salted and fairly grippy. Am I correct in thinking that it being in 4H meant nothing if the compressor wasn’t running and the front hubs not activated/locked? Essentially just 2H with the front diff and drive shaft rotating but the wheels seeing nothing?

So… 4H/2H doesn’t really affect anything if the hubs at the rear and front aren’t locked. It’s basically a normal 2 wheeler. But if the hubs are activated then I’m in proper 4x4?

Is there a way of running that will allow me to quickly swap between 4H and 2H on the fly, as I hit patches of road that are covered in ice etc on an otherwise salted and tarmaced road without damaging anything?

Would this mean running in 2H with the compressor on and the front hubs engaged, and then swapping to 4H on the fly? Leaving the rear hubs unlocked so I’m otherwise operating as a normal vehicle?

Sorry if these are stupid questions. I’d rather ask than destroy something.