Threaded View

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question 1981 Patrol engine Run On problem

Hello, I am new to the Forum and have posted an introduction. I will try not to be long-winded here but I am perplexed. I have a 1981 Nissan Patrol, 4wd station wagon (24 volt with tiger looking stripe). For probably 6 months or more I have had a faulty starter motor but couldn't afford to replace it. After some time the engine wouldn't switch off and there was a clicking solenoid near the battery and a metal rod kept moving forward and backwards on the motor. Upon doing some research I think that rod was attached to an Edict motor???
    A locksmith suggested I needed a new ignition barrel which I was able to replace myself. Still the problem existed. The NRMA suggested it may because of trying to start the motor too often (because of faulty starter motor) may be causing a build up of fuel???
    Anyway, I finally got the starter motor replaced and that is working properly now, but still have the engine not wanting to turn-off (I have to stall it, but that rod keeps moving) and the mechanic sent it back unfixed.
    I have another mechanic with auto- electrician booked next week but would love to give them a heads-up on what the issue might be because it is getting expensive. Any guidance would be very greatly appreciated, your friend, Stuart.
    Last edited by MudRunnerTD; 1st September 2023 at 06:17 PM.