OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Thread: New piston rings a job that can be done in the car ???

Threaded View

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New piston rings a job that can be done in the car ???

Hi Folks after a multitude of small and big jobs on the most beautiful GQ Safari 'The Yellow Submarine' - I am now considering to 'do' the piston rings.

WHY?
    The compression is not as good anymore - I replaced the head for a brand new new one (The rebuild I wrote about a while ago did not work). That improved the torque of the engine only a little but saved a lot of coolant and oil and no more milk in the sump ;-)

Engine:
    TB42S (New Holley 330 Carbie) - New Cylinder head - etc. // 400.000 km . Exchanged Cylinder head before I owned it.
    Runs smooth.
    Compression values between 100 and 130 ps ... not very good ... - engine has done 400,000 km , most likely never had the bottom end rebuilt but not sure. It had definitely a head exchange earlier in life though.

A next logic step would be new piston rings ?
    When I did the head the cylinder walls looked very clean and smooth. As smooth as an old cylinder can be , no scary ridges at all.
    So my guess is that honing and new piston rings will be a big improvement ?

AND:
    Should I do the camshaft at the same time ?

BUT:
    I have never done it - and quite honestly my age related artritis is slowing me down a lot.
    Is it a real hard job for a part time but very skilled mechanic like me (Remember my Bl...y artritis that harassed me so much during the initial failed head rebuild and then head replacement - it took me forever but works fine now)

Or is there a skilled very meticulous one amongst you near Coonabarabran willing to do that job for me in exchange for a fair payment ?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to LandRoverGhost For This Useful Post:

MB (1st July 2022)