Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,365 Times in 777 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    Yes i have had one of these for 20 years. the first time i saw one i thought it was a joke.... The first time i pulled the trigger i thought OMFG This thing will be a Beast. When all else fails that is a Beast and works every time. If your really keen to crack a wheel nut then it will easily do it.

To be honest cracking a wheel nut is nice but over rated to be honest. It requires a fairly decent Impact Wrench to get it done. If you never lube your studs then it is even harder. Lube your Studs....

For my money i would buy the Impact Driver over the Impact Wrench. I have both. I have had the Driver for nearly 20 years and it has done a Heap of work around the house and a HEAP of work on the car. You need a 1/4 drive and 1/2 drive adapter for it then you can use it with your socket set. Given it is a lighter impact i have never used impact sockets with it and always just my standard set. It does most of the heavy lifting for me. Then Crack or tighten finally by Hand. But all the wrench work is via the driver which is the leg work let us face it.

Great to have in your kit then for tek screws and other uses. Great kit. Light in the hand and plenty of bang for buck..

I have a larger Makita Impact Wrench and to be honest i find it Heavy and cumbersome and quite large and therefore bloody useless under the bonnet, under the car maybe but no good in the engine bay as it is too big. All of my car work up until about 12 months ago was done with an Impact Driver. Great Kit. Buy that.

12 months ago i got a smaller Makita Impact Wrench in the 1/2 and it is the same size as my driver but with a 1/2 drive and it is great. now my GoTo unit but same size as the driver. If i could only choose 1 then the Driver gets the gig as a much more versatile tool in your life time. The Driver is made to rattle just a little less torque. it will get it done for you. Lets face it most of the small stuff you will do around the car is less that a 12mm nut and the driver will thread that up and down all day long. Crack the nut the spin her off with the driver. Good to go.

Imagine if you could only buy 1 hammer in your life time. 1 hammer. You occasionally need a Big hammer but always need a small hammer. Do you buy a Sledge hammer and hit in 2" nails as well as star pickets.... Or a smaller hammer that does nearly everything you need and if you ever have to hit in a Star picket either borrow a sledge hammer or hit it harder by hand...
    Thanks for the info Daz, much appreciated.

I went forked out $69 for one of those Hercules 12v wrenches, I reckon it'll do what I want & if it doesn't well I'll worry about that then.

Sounds like from what you said that the driver may be the way to go, the type of work I'd do would be lighter stuff so the driver may be a more appropriate option.

Thanks everyone.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to 10G For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (28th May 2020)