OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Thread: What did you do to your Patrol today!

Threaded View

Thanks
    Thanked 1,006 Times in 565 Posts
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PeeBee View Post
    Look, all good points. I think there is more than adequate engaged length to handle the torque to the front wheel, but saying that its not how it was designed to begin with and I dont know how much 'over design factor of safety' is in the original design either. I am running a similar setup to yours, maybe 3" on the front, castor correction bushes and 33". Running chains for me is a potential issue on both front and back when it gets a bit hairy. I also have noticed the job the mud flaps actually do in keeping the mud and stones off the ARB side rails and step - not much door clearance to step and a bit of paint crunching does no one any good. I will see how this pans out and worse thing that happens is I break something and come home in rear wheel drive, and then have to get a custom jobbie.
    Would be interesting to know your uni to uni centers (shaft length) as compared against similar stock build set up. Your current lengths may actually be near original build state. Maybe someone with unmodified coils (close to stock build spec) could measure their uni to uni center length and we could determine the change.

It is not so much the torque having an adverse impact, possible concern is the side loading on bearings due to the unsupported increased length, thinking mainly any out of balance in shaft. Maybe over thinking it.

Recently modified my old chains to fit the 31.5"(for GU), that I use to run on my 76 FJ45 SWB and of course guard clearance was never concern. Out with the highlift jack, up all corners (one at a time) hook on and on your way. So good. Now with the 33's not a chance, comes so close full lock..Very disappointing.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2008 GU WAG ST Manual CRD - To do the job