Threaded View

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MIG with argon

Hey guys,

I've been trying to use pure argon with my MIG welder today, but without much success.
    This is the first time I'm trying this and not sure whether I'm doing something wrong, something not right with gas flow or the MIG welder.
    All I hear is a lot of popping sound and 'charcoal burning' looking welds with chunks of metal not sticking to the base metal(Pictures attached).
    I tried with all the different settings from the MIG welder fast/slow/medium speed and all four amp settings as well as keeping the MIG tip closer to the base, medium distance and further bit away as well, but to no good. Gas comes out fine, except this setup doesn't allow to control the gas flow as the this cheap MIG welder has no such control.

There might be an issue with the regulator(or rather the flow meter) I'm using as in the pictures below.
    It does the TIG without any dramas. I couldn't actually see the flow meter ball moving(not moving at all or just jumps a bit initially when I open the TIG torch gas control knob and then back to the bottom). So, I didn't actually get a reading of TIG flow from the flow meter per say. The regulator gauge goes all the way to the end (25Mpa?).
    So, I'm not sure whether I have a crap regulator+flow meter, but it did ok with TIG steel).

The MIG welder is a cheap Mishto 130amp one, but should do the job that I need to do without much issues.

So, what am I not doing right to not get semi-decent welds with MIG+argon combination, 'cos I've been told it should be just ok when proper MIG shielding gas mix is not available.

Is there a trick to how to get it right?

Any help, suggestions, tips, advice etc etc would be great.

P.S. The regulator+flow meter is not an expensive one, but thought it should do the job of regulating the pressure, at least. It is an online purchase, from a local seller.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dom14; 22nd November 2017 at 09:23 PM.
    RB30, some 2-3 inch lift auxiliary LPG tanks
    Few more mods on the way
    http://www.worldwildlife.org/species/tiger
    https://www.panthera.org/
    Cheetah Outreach