Threaded View

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Connecting two trailers together

Hey guys,

I've been wondering whether there is a legal way to connect two small trailers together to tow them
    one behind the other.

I'm wondering about the,
    1)Technical & safety aspects of doing that without any issues
    2)Legal side of it whether it's allowed or not

Basically my idea is to attach a small trailer(lets say 6x4 or 8x5) to the other by
    fitting in a tow bar/hitch (typical tow ball coupling or different one) arrangement to the front trailer.

I see the "semi-trailers" on the road have such arrangements, but the tow 'ball'/hitch coupling arrangement they use it
    different from standard trailers that we use with our vehicles 'cos those huge massive semi-trailers can be reversed with the same wheel turn as the vehicle, don't they? In other words truckie semi-trailers don't need the 'jack-knife' mucking around we do with our small trailers or typical caravan couplings!

I realize this means fitting a tow bar & hitch to the back of the front or main trailer, but that's ok if it is legally allowed. I also realize this can complicate the reversing process, but that may also be rectified by fitting a different type of coupling, rather than a standard tow ball coupling.

Any thoughts, ideas, opinion and advice would be great.

What I really like to do is what as in below picture semi trailers, but in a very small simpler scale.

STAA_double_pup.jpeg
    b-train.gif
    Last edited by dom14; 20th November 2017 at 12:13 PM.
    RB30, some 2-3 inch lift auxiliary LPG tanks
    Few more mods on the way
    http://www.worldwildlife.org/species/tiger
    https://www.panthera.org/
    Cheetah Outreach