User Tag List

Thread: Blocking the EGR Valve

Threaded View

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Harry and welcome, the guys n girls on here are pretty friendly and always ready to help, have a read below, might help you decide what to do.
    Please note, this is not my work, only borrowed it for ya, cheers Rod.

Quote: "Ok, regarding the new CRD, I would recommend the purchase of a scan gauge as it can read the ECU and provide lots of valuable information such as boost, temperatures, current fuel usage etc.

I would also recommend the installation of an EGT gauge, once these are installed on the truck, you can get a feel for how the motor is performing and decide if it is working to spec based on that information.

To answer your direct question, the CRD does not require a dawes valve as the ECU limits the boost to around 15psi very effectively. The members that have installed them have probably bypassed the ECUs control of the turbo and blocked the EGR system like ............ has shown in this thread.

The CRDs ECU is far more advanced than our Di models which is good and bad, the good is that you can usually block the EGR and there is no need to alter the VNT grub screw because the ECU still controls the boost to around 15psi.

The bad is that it has enough smarts to know that the EGR is not flowing and it will throw up an error code (which the scan gauge can easily clear). If you did want to block the EGR and were not going to purchase a scan gauge, I would recommend that the EGR blocking plate have a 10mm hole in the middle to allow some flow so that the ECU does not throw up the fault code

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to the ferret For This Useful Post:

DrHarry (6th April 2011), sr06 (17th December 2011)