Thread: Reduction gear selection

Threaded View

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reduction gear selection

Guys im torn between choosing either 43% or 85% Marks 4wd (Gearmaster) transfer case reduction gears for my GU.

I have well and truly found the lower limits of the standard low range gearing while climbing hills and being bogged in thick slop, often requiring heavy clutch riding just to keep the wheels turning.

I have always thought, if im doing a job I may as well do it properly and get the 85% gears!

But recently have been wondering if 43 will be enough? I do a bit of beach work during summer so 43 are generally more suited to this. But then I may upgrade to 35" tyres when the time comes to replace them so the 43% may not be enough? Then comes the turbo/cooler upgrades which may mean the 43 will be enough with the big tyres? But if im running bigger tyres, I may need to change to higher diff ratios anyway so if im running 83%, these may we too high with the 35's and turbo/cooler/diff upgrades?

Im not fussed about down hill's as the standard engine braking and manual box holds things pretty well. Its uphill control that im chasing! would love to idle up some pretty snotty hills.
    Also thinking, 85% gives approx 30kmh top speed in 5th, if you are doing 20-30kmh in 4L surely it can be done in 4H or even 2H.

I generally run on the beach in 3rd now, so 43% will probably switch to 4th, 85% will require switching to 5th for the same stretch.
    Dont plan on doing any simpson desert crossings so momentum for big sand hills isnt really a concers

I guess I can handle some time on the knobby lever as I dont like to run 4L when I dont need to anyway

So much has been running through my mind lately so Im hoping anyone that has ever driven a patrol with reduction gears to chip in about their experience

It also doesnt help that the 43 gears are $135 cheaper and dont require machining of the case to get the gears in!

ARRGH!

Want to buy them soon but its a big expense and would hate to regret buying the wrong set!

Cheers!
    Last edited by GUte; 2nd April 2011 at 01:38 AM.