Threaded View

Thanks
    Thanked 7,438 Times in 3,009 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Recovery gear & weight savng musings & questions

Firstly please allow me a little leeway here. I am discussing gear that I have never yet had need to use, so if it is clear that anything I say is dumb, it's not because I'm dumb, just ignorant. Treat me gently!

My wife & I spent this afternoon trying to generate a list of what we want to carry in the Patrol whilst touring long term. A huge task, & a bit different to what is required for short holidays & breaks.

With ThreeDogs question about the weight of our rig still resonating, part of our process (still unfinished) was about saving weight.

I have already taken on board the weight saving & safety suggestion made recently by TD to replace the steel winch cable & rollers with dyneema rope & a poly hause, & intend to do this. Apart from the weight saved by this swap, I guess I would also save the weight of the ARB winch blanket I was given for Christmas, more kilos. Or should I still use the winch blanket with the dyneema rope?

I have a Warn XD9000 winch (& no idea of the length of steel cable it has on it). What is the desirable length of Dyneema to fit onto it, including what I understand to be be the necessary protective sleeve to wrap around the winch drum?

I have an equaliser strap, a tree protector strap & a snatch strap. As yet I dont' have a drag chain, a tow strap or a winch extension strap.

Would it be appropriate to use a length of dyneema rope as a tow/winch extension strap? If so, if I were to buy a longer than needed winch rope, how easy would it be to cut it & make up the extra into this second strap? Or would I be better off to buy two dyneema ropes ready made up with fittings? I am assuming that the dyneema would be much lighter than webbing straps?? Yes/no??

Drag chain. What is a good length & what rated working load do most people use?
    If using on the rear of the vehicle where I have a single (tow bar mounted) recovery point to attach a drag chain to. If using the front I have two recovery plates. Am I correct to assume I would attach a drag chain to just one recovery plate as opposed to both as I would when using a recovery strap?

Snatch blocks. I have two of them, but note in that 'mother of all lists' that DX Grunt posted that they only carried one. These are heavy suckers, so carrying only one would be a useful weight saving. How many snatch blocks do others usually carry?

Bow Shackles. I have 3 x 4.75t rated shackles. Is that enough? How many do others usually carry?

thanks
    Cuppa

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

macca (16th February 2013)