Threaded View

Thanks
    Thanked 11,352 Times in 6,458 Posts
    Mentioned
    465 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Tralier mod time I think....

Since we haven't got the room for a nice camper trailer I thought to do some mods to my trailer I have just so its more camper friendly for me.
    The trailer I have currently is,

• 7' x 4' with 18" high sides.
    • Well made from a local trailer guy.
    • Stock trailer suspension, slipper type
    • Stock 5 stud holden pattern wheels.
    • two rear/ side mounted jerry can holders
    • LED lights all round.

First thing I want to do is lengthen the draw bar and set it back further than where it is now. Almost at the front of the trailer.
    The draw bar now is currently 1200mm from the front of the trailer to the centre of the tow ball.
    What is a good length to have this longer at? Its currently using 50 x 75 RHS I think its called for the draw bar. I will cut it off and want to re-weld further down the trailer plus making the draw bar longer so I can fit a nice big box on it, to fit my 80L fridge and battery box. OR a box big enough to fit a battery box and other camping gear , then the fridge goes in the trailer....
    Second is to scrap the suspension on it and get something better and higher so I can change the hubs to six stud and put some 31's under it. I don't need or want independent suspension too. There is shops that sell complete spring setups that i can just buy and weld on isn't there?
    Third is to give the girl a sandblast and new paint job.
    I eventually want to fit a water tank under it too maybe...

So I want to do the first, first. I have all the tools but I only have an ARC welder. One of the Blue CIG ones with the 2.5mm and 3.2mm switch. I'm a pretty good welder, not great but I can weld....
    I kind of thought i might need a mig but I dunno.

Suggest away.

Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mudski; 7th February 2013 at 06:45 PM.