I have a 2010 GU manual 3.0 litre Patrol cab chassis turbo, fitted with a tray and now carrying a canopy. Purchased new in 2010. It has done 70,000 kms and still under warranty. At 35,000 kms, the turbo failed and was replaced under warranty. I have driving lights installed, no winch and have had no problems with the unit.
A couple of weeks ago, I went to tow a trailer load (total weight about 2 tons) and the engine overheated going up a hill. Waited until it cooled, offloaded the trailer load and came home. Took it to the local Nissan dealer (the next day - it didn't overheat during the 60 km journey) and their diagnosis was a new viscous coupling on the fan. Installed at the end of the week and they pronounced it fixed. Came home, loaded up the trailer again, and voila! She overheats again. Road service picked up the vehicle and took it back to the dealer. They "said" they replaced the thermostat and that the Patrol was "fixed". Drove home and it overheats going up a hill (no load.
Took it back to the dealer. They said they couldn't replicate the problem in the workshop. They said they have flushed the block and the radiator, replaced the thermostat again, but when they take the vehicle for a test drive, it boils again. And I do mean boil - smoke, steam, the whole bit.
Nissan Australia now want to remove the driving lights "to bring the vehicle back to standard and to aid airflow". The lights have been on it since a week after I bought it in April 2010.
I think there is something more wrong with it than the radiator and the airflow.
Anyone got any ideas????