Threaded View

Thanks
    Thanked 11,352 Times in 6,458 Posts
    Mentioned
    465 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Fitting GU Recovery plates.

So my missus thought it would be nice to buy me something. Awww, A pair of recovery plates for my toy. Wicked! Now I just have to work out how to fit them. Well the left side atleast.
    As most are aware, the left side of the chassis rail has the holes but no captive nuts to secure the recovery plate onto the chassis.
    So some researching and speaking with another Troller I thought I'll have a crack.
    So removal of the bull bar took place to have easy access to the chassis rail. Once the bar was off I pried open the end of the chassis rail to gain access inside the rail.
    relay 242 (Medium).jpg

I then used some box tubing I had lying around as a backing plate to weld on the two lower nuts for the plate. I simply drill my holes, then cut away the sections of the box tube that i didn't need with my grinder. My only source of welding was my Arc welder so I had to be careful of not blowing holes in the box tube. I then welded a piece of 3.2mm arc wire to the bracket I made so I could slip it down the chassis tube. I made another bracket for the the top bolt, one hole only of course.
    relay 243 (Medium).jpg

An hour or so later its on. You can see the 3.2mm welding wire sticking out of the end of the chassis. I attached the wire to the two brackets I made so I could maneuver the plate into their positions.

relay 244 (Medium).jpg
    Folded the end of the tube up and started putting everything back together.

relay 245 (Medium).jpgrelay 246 (Medium).jpg

My new earings!!!!!!
    Last edited by mudski; 27th July 2016 at 04:21 PM.

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

2TROLLFAM (25th August 2012), macca (24th August 2012), NissanGQ4.2 (26th August 2012), NP99 (14th February 2013), oncedisturbed (23rd August 2012), ozzymalone (17th September 2012), the ferret (25th August 2012), threedogs (17th April 2019)