Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GQ non turbo 4.2 diesel consumables

Hi all,
    I have recently bought a 1993 Maverick with 298000k on the non turbo 4.2 diesel. I am gonna have a go at a minor service at 300k and am currently looking through the forum for all the tips and tricks. I have looked through the "Preventative Maintenance thread" and have found it has inspired me to have a go.

What I cannot find out is:
    1. Are hoses and belts the same for the turbo & non-turbo diesel 4.2 ( I can only find TD42 on e-bay which I assume is Turbo Diesel 4.2)?
    2. When changing the oil , is it worth using a flushing solution? If so , which one.
    3. Which oil (make & viscosity) have you found gives the best results for a vehicle of this age?

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    td42 is non turbo td42t is turbo or td42-t etc
    As for oil i have heard good reports about delo 400

Their are two different size aircon belts as well.
    And do yourself a favour buy a genuine thermostat.
    Last edited by 97_gq_lwb; 28th March 2012 at 07:58 PM.

a member of the menagerie MC97GQ's Avatar
    Nimmitabel in the deep, deep south of NSW
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    John,

As your rig is non turbo'd all the info you can get on TD42 will be fine, The Nissan motor is exactly the same as the motor in the Mav, I'm not sure what the T stands for in TD but it's not TURBO,

For example the petrol motor is a TB(B for Benzine/Gasoline) and I don't think any petrol motors came out from the factory with a turbo.

If a TD42 has a turbo, the T designation usually comes at the end i.e.:TD42T

As far as the rest of your post there are far more qualified and experienced TD42 owners that can help.

I hope this clears a couple of issues for you,

Mark

same post as 97_gq_lwb, he beat me by seconds, only two kinds the quick and the editor of the post
    Last edited by MC97GQ; 28th March 2012 at 08:18 PM.
    Proud former owner of a 1997 White GQ TD42 Patrol Cab Chassis with an after market turbo, now with over half a million k's and still going strong, that's had a heart transplant and now not owned by me

Thanks
    Thanked 4,041 Times in 1,746 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    gday,

The td42 is the N/A version
    The td42t is the turbo version
    and the td42ti is the turbo intercooled version

The hoses will be the same
    Use only the specified oil viscosity
    Enging flushing can be great it can also be detrimentle to your engine , If you patrol has had a poor service history and is sludged up you can really do some damage as the deposits are pure carbon and whilst flushung you will be moving it through everywhere you DONT want it to (bearings etc)
    I have flushed my engine before ( exceptional service history and clean as a whistle), Most services on mine are done on a time basis as it rarely gets driven last one was done at about 1500km average 2-2500km and I used nulon engine flush. you need 1 can per 5L of sump capacity (need 2 bottles) add flush to motor, run for 30 min the drop the oil, other flushes require you to change oil and filter twice per flush, which isnt cost effective

I use top dog oil, which is the same as castrol so I have been told.
    I have used penrite before and it used a litre of oil every 2000km, that lasted 2 services and I have never touched that sh!t again, (oil usage stopped after going back to top dog)
    Last edited by Ben-e-boy; 28th March 2012 at 08:26 PM.
    96 GQ coil/Cab
    08 G6eT

Thanks
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2 replys while I was writing mine...................bastards lol
    96 GQ coil/Cab
    08 G6eT

a member of the menagerie MC97GQ's Avatar
    Nimmitabel in the deep, deep south of NSW
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben-e-boy View Post
    2 replys while I was writing mine...................bastards lol
    Hey Benny, you need to learn to type with 2 fingers it is quicker, mate you were 4 mins behind 97_Gq_lwb and me

Just joking mate I hate when you type something and by the time you finished a couple of people have typed exactly what you were thinking.
    Proud former owner of a 1997 White GQ TD42 Patrol Cab Chassis with an after market turbo, now with over half a million k's and still going strong, that's had a heart transplant and now not owned by me

Thanks
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MC97GQ View Post

Hey Benny, you need to learn to type with 2 fingers it is quicker, mate you were 4 mins behind 97_Gq_lwb and me

Just joking mate I hate when you type something and by the time you finished a couple of people have typed exactly what you were thinking.

I was typing with 2 finger I just had to re write it so I ( and probable someone else) could understand, and I still couldnt get it right hahaha been a long day
    96 GQ coil/Cab
    08 G6eT