User Tag List

Thread: Grims nads

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Grims nads

Just a few pics of my nads although i don't have a dawes the steinbuaer prevents turbo spiking and i did grab a egr blocking plate but am not sure whether to fit or not as i have read good and bad things so if there is anyone with the 3.0 commonrail and has one fitted please let me know how it is, cheers......
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2008 GU 2" LIFT, GME UHF BLACK KING WHEELS, SAFARI SNORKEL, LIGHTFORCE 240' KAYMAR DUAL WHEEL CARRIER STEINBAUER POWER, beaudesert 2 3/4 system, runva 11,000 comp winch.....

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweet as mate
    keep them piccies a comming ....we luv piccies
    HELL NO !!!!!!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to nowoolies For This Useful Post:

grimace (28th March 2012)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Blocking the EGR will help stopping hot exhaust gasses from entering the combustion chambers and will lower EGT’s. It also reduces the chance of the inlet manifold runners becoming restricted by the thick black grease when it mixes with oil from the crankcase and helps to keep the engine oil cleaner for a longer period. The only thing is that this also will increase boost, so you may want to invest on a manual boost controller.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JoseM For This Useful Post:

grimace (28th March 2012)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Grimace - blocking the EGR is well worth it on a common rail motor. The car drives so much better. It will trigger an engine warning light sometimes so you will need to invest in some sort of OBD2 device to reset it. You dont need a boost controller the ECU catches over boost very quickly. I collect about a table spoon of oil in my catch can every 1000km.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    2010 GU7 Patrol ZD30 Manual - 33"KM2s - 2"lift - ARB front locker

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    does this meen that you have done yours? is it easy to do yourself? how much is the device and what is the best one for the coin? cheers...
    2008 GU 2" LIFT, GME UHF BLACK KING WHEELS, SAFARI SNORKEL, LIGHTFORCE 240' KAYMAR DUAL WHEEL CARRIER STEINBAUER POWER, beaudesert 2 3/4 system, runva 11,000 comp winch.....

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by create View Post
    Grimace - blocking the EGR is well worth it on a common rail motor. The car drives so much better. It will trigger an engine warning light sometimes so you will need to invest in some sort of OBD2 device to reset it. You dont need a boost controller the ECU catches over boost very quickly. I collect about a table spoon of oil in my catch can every 1000km.
    Sorry to tell you mate, but the ECU wont help you here. See, take into account that the ZD30 on Patrols tends to overboost, on top of that blocking the EGR raises boost; althought there is a boost sensor, the ECU doesn’t monitor or have mixture control over each individual cylinder, on top of that, the engine does NOT have an exhaust temperature sensor, so it can’t tell if a particular cylinder is being over fuelled (running rich). And we all know what "rich" means on a diesel...
    Now, by this I dont mean you are wrong or anything like that, it is just that eventhought the ECU will reduce boost when it gets too high, this system is very slow to react therefore boost spikes of up to 25psi are common.
    There is always more than just one variable to watch for my friend, specially on that God for saken engine. Hope this helps...
    Last edited by JoseM; 30th March 2012 at 02:15 AM.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my opinion based on first hand evidence you dont need a boost controller on a common rail. If you plan to modify it in anyway tho you MUST have a boost/egt guage and a OBD2 tester.
    I have now done 20,000km since I blocked the EGR. I have a Autron boost/EGT guage. When I tow my camper up a long hill sometimes the boost does spike (never more than 22 psi) but its very quick and has never been for more than half a second. After driving the car for so long now you can predict the circumstances that it can happen. You can back off the VNT screw on the turbo and this will eliminate it from ever happening - I haven't done this as I don't see it necessary. Just drive the car to the conditions and I dont thrash it.
    Installing the EGR block is very simple. Undo a couple of bolts and drop out the gasket. I then got out the tin snips and cut a plate of 1mm stainless steel to the same shape. Drilled two holes. I then used little bit of copper spray just to hold the gasket and plate together - you could really just use silicone or similar. The plate is a bit fiddly to get back in. Whole job can be done in under an hour. Really easy to do.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry Jose, I have to agree with create here. You talk about the ecu monitoring boost but not mixture. Create was talking about boost pressure not mixture so that is irrelevant. I've just carried out 3" exahust, EGR block and intercooler upgrade. The car drives awesome and boost has only increased slightly. No problems. This is on a 05 GU IV patrol ZD30.

My next mod is going to be EGT gauge. Does anyone know what temperature is normal to be running?

Cheers

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine runs at 88c to 92c.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~