Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Side Awnings ?? Recomendations

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This thread is great because I'm also looking into one. Thankyou

Has any one got or had experience with the tigerz11 awning?
    GU IV 2006 4.2 TDi wagon

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 4,717 Times in 2,491 Posts
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too am looking at the batwing type of awning, arb one looks the best so far.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The problem with the Fox wing that i found when researching is that you have to carry the poles separately in a bag or tube on the roof. Not Great. They are big when out and you really need to swing it out fully every time which is not a bog deal really.

You really do need to put the poles up each time or risk the slightest wind flipping it over the top. They hinge or swing from 1 single pivot point that is fairly stressed and a weak point, if it flips and you smash that you are left with a big tarp you cant do much with.

The ARB one will suffer the same risk though and if your setting it up for longer than a lunch stop then pegging it down is recommended. I carry the pegs in the back drawers and the ropes stay tied permanently on so not a big deal.

I have ran a row of LEDs inside the awning too and plug it in to the point in the back door, i put a dimmer switch on them and at night in camp it is fantastic for ambient light. Great stuff.

It'll be on display at Loveday for sure. lol
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

Stropp (28th March 2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,883 Times in 3,670 Posts
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Oooh a bit of mood lighting for loveday....or should I say lovenight!! Lmao.

As for the Foxwing poles, my mates put theirs in the same bag that the awning folds into...
    We have talked about fitting some 75mm plumbing pipe with a screw cap to the roof racks to hold the poles.

tappn it
    Hello from Under Down Under!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Killametre,
    I purchased a Rooftop Campers 2.5 meter side awning from Ebay for $245 delivered. This is a great awning at a fraction of the price of the big name brands. I have used it in all types of weather with no problems. Very easy to setup and pack up. You can use it without the separately supplied support ropes but if there is a gust of wind it could flip over the top of the car and cause some damage so I always use the ropes as insurance.
    The awning comes with mounting brackets so all you need is either a cargo rack or two roof racks to mount the brackets to. This is now I did it before I got the cargo rack.
    Paste the link below into your browser to see the awning on Ebay.

Hope this helps.
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MANUAL-RE...item1c24c4de95
    2003 GU ST-L, ZD30TD, 2 inch lift, 2.5m side awning, cargo rack, snorkel, 285/75/16 M/T tires, cargo draws, cargo barrier, UHF, DVD/CD player, on board air compressor, duel batteries, B/Bar, spot lights, 50ltr water tank, Pillar pod with egt & boost gauges, catch can, egr block, dawes and needle valves, 3" exhaust.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BEP120 For This Useful Post:

Killametre (28th March 2012)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BEP120 View Post
    Hi Killametre,
    I purchased a Rooftop Campers 2.5 meter side awning from Ebay for $245 delivered. This is a great awning at a fraction of the price of the big name brands. I have used it in all types of weather with no problems. Very easy to setup and pack up. You can use it without the separately supplied support ropes but if there is a gust of wind it could flip over the top of the car and cause some damage so I always use the ropes as insurance.
    The awning comes with mounting brackets so all you need is either a cargo rack or two roof racks to mount the brackets to. This is now I did it before I got the cargo rack.
    Paste the link below into your browser to see the awning on Ebay.

Hope this helps.
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MANUAL-RE...item1c24c4de95
    Hi BEP120, That looks basically the same as an ARB awning and likely a copy, which is fine. I paid less than $300 for my ARB one and paid $500 even for the 2.5m side and 1.2m rear awnings from ARB which i think is a great price and still have the ARB emblem on the side of the bag and the dealer network if the thing ever did take a hit. All good though.

The bag awning style is great.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!

The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,917 Times in 1,080 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have ordered an awning from TigerII at $169 they look the same as Open Sky, ARB etc
    BUT they are out of stock, coming from China???
    2 months wait???
    I made the blue of a PO Box and its taken an age to go through their system, so now I have to wait, mumble mumble mumble
    Call them before you order

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    Hi BEP120, That looks basically the same as an ARB awning and likely a copy, which is fine. I paid less than $300 for my ARB one and paid $500 even for the 2.5m side and 1.2m rear awnings from ARB which i think is a great price and still have the ARB emblem on the side of the bag and the dealer network if the thing ever did take a hit. All good though.

The bag awning style is great.
    Hey MudRunner. You got a good price from ARB. My local ARB reseller quoted around the $500 mark just for the side awning. Might be time to go somewhere else.
    I just posted my rig in the members section one of the pics show it on the car. As you stated looks like a ARB copy. I would have prefered to go ARB but for the price difference I could by two for the price of the ARB one.
    Anyway mine has been used heaps and is still going strong.

Cheers.
    2003 GU ST-L, ZD30TD, 2 inch lift, 2.5m side awning, cargo rack, snorkel, 285/75/16 M/T tires, cargo draws, cargo barrier, UHF, DVD/CD player, on board air compressor, duel batteries, B/Bar, spot lights, 50ltr water tank, Pillar pod with egt & boost gauges, catch can, egr block, dawes and needle valves, 3" exhaust.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    No difference between most of them apart from the logo.

My Ironman 2.5 x 2.0 cost a shade over $200 as a Club special... hey I made a funny... shade over... awning... get it

For the straight awnings I recommend the 2.5 metre out by 2 metre wide. The extra 500mm out from the vehicle makes a lot of difference and the 2 metre length mounts better and neater to roof racks
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (28th March 2012)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the evil twin View Post
    No difference between most of them apart from the logo.

My Ironman 2.5 x 2.0 cost a shade over $200 as a Club special... hey I made a funny... shade over... awning... get it

For the straight awnings I recommend the 2.5 metre out by 2 metre wide. The extra 500mm out from the vehicle makes a lot of difference and the 2 metre length mounts better and neater to roof racks
    Errrrrrrrr??? Ummmm? ET? Mate its only a funny when you dont have to walk us through it bud......

I agree the extra 500 out would be real nice but i am happy with 2.0 out and 2.5 wide. It sits behind the Nissan Snorkel head and is the perfect length for the side of the car.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast