OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seized silver td42 rebuild or replace?

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seized silver td42 rebuild or replace?

Hi guys

If you read my intro you'll know that I have a 90 gq ute with a seized motor
    I have never really played around too much with engines and was after advice on wether i should have a go at rebuilding it myself or just swap it out for a reco.
    Have extremely limited finds at the present.

Going to open her up this week and have a look fr myself what should I look for in terms of components to replace other than the obvious

Cheers Darcy

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really depends on why it seized.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mechanic failed to do his job and fix oil leak and change oil ofcourse not entirely his fault I should have double checked but it apparently hasn't damaged block possibly broken crank bearings or piston I don't really know

Thanks
    Thanked 13,494 Times in 6,598 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Bugger mate, as 97 said, how long is a piece of string bud. crack her open and see what you find.

Good luck mate
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rebuilding vs the cost of a crate motor are very similar. But as stated you could open her up to only find you have to change rings bearings and hone her out you wont really they the full extent until you open her up.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,494 Times in 6,598 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You might also look around for a second hand engine from a wrecker, the TD42 is a great motor mate, you may well get a second handie for $2000 or less if you look around a bit.

Good luck bud
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Where abouts are you located gqtroll?

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pulled it open this arvo. Has seized on sixth piston(closest to firewall) couldn't get crank out yet to see if I could drop pistons out. Seems to be pretty oily on the others but dy as a bone on that one seems to be at bottom too hopeful that it hasn't done much damage to bore and I can get away with new crank and piston assy. Oh and a good clean out. I've been struggling to find an engine for as cheap as I would like been quoted between 3250 and 4500 for reco engine and as yet haven't found one that hasn't been recoed obviously prefer a reco but budget atm won't really allow for it.

I'm located down in Vic mate northeast of melb

Most ppl I've spoken to about it said that I might get away with using a rebuild kit at around 1500 and new injectors but I really have no idea where to start. Have left the sump off to try and let oil clear off a bit. It is like clag and I only changed it maybe 4000 k ago I think It may have been old oil that stuck and change only made it worse

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really got to work on shortening my ramblings

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The rebuild kits i have seen come with new sleeves so as long as you don't have bent rods or a buggered crank that would be my choice.
    At least that way your not taking a gamble on a second hand motor and you know what you have.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast