Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Will 35's fit with a 2' lift?

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I gave the GU a really good clean today and found a heap of rubbing top of rear guards, inside. I have no lift now with 33's and its rubbed back to shinny bare metal both sides rear, so if im doing same tracks with 2" lift i recon 35's will be too much, in my head it doesn't add up that they wouldn't scrub. I think i will stick to 33's and lift.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,830 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    could look at extending bumpstops to limit it and stop rubbing up there ?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to megatexture For This Useful Post:

juanpinas88 (1st September 2013)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will look into that, i was thinking my rear springs/ shocks might just be on there way out. Although they have only scrubbed twice i have noticed, both times going up steep rocky sections with a step involved, and a small drop into another little ledge. Not big steps by any stretch of the imagination but with a bit of berries to get up the section was probably going to happen with no lift. I am just going to assume i "need" a lift kit and hurry up and get that done. Maybe a tax time present for me from me! I am sweet to me.
    Thanks all

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    remember 33" to 35" is 1"of lift on the tyres not 2" to stop scrubbing you might need to get bigger bump stop

7. The Following User Says Thank You to blackhooded For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Think about changing the offset on the wheels to limit that inner guard scrub. Not really that big a deal though?? The inner guard is smooth and so is the tyre so your not going to chew anything up scrubbing there mate.

The scrubbing you want to avoid is the tyre hitting the back of the quarter panel ie the outer edge of the guard and stripping the guard or the tread and slicing it to bits. The back edge of the front guards can take a big hit too but it is the outer edge your worried about mate. Check out the bottom edge of the body just above the chassis rail in the inner though, you need to bend it in slightly or it will slice the inside edge of the tyre and make a right mess. The rest is nothing mate.

Scrubbing the inner is a fact of life mate. my GQ running 35s on a 5" lift scrubs the inners. It is setup perfectly with great flex, the only way i could stop this now is drop the bump stops?? or change the offset. currently +zero. If i went to a Neg 22 or bigger i would struggle to scrub the inner.

My front tyres scrub on the top edge of the spring towers on full flex even with Drop boxes and the back of the front guard in the wheel arch cut away.. Remember your going pretty slow at full flex mate...
    Last edited by MudRunnerTD; 26th March 2012 at 10:44 PM.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will have a more detailed look in the morning paying more attention to the outside of the guards. (inner outside that is) But those are reassuring words. Thanks MudRunnerTD

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the same problem as you mate I run a 2inch ome and 33 in tyres.. Even with mudflaps off it scrubs on full lock on flat ground.. My ome kit is only 12 months old and I think it's sagged..had to put coil spacers in the front just to get some more lift back!good shocks but rubbish coils!
    Last edited by Campatrol; 26th March 2012 at 11:54 PM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben81C View Post
    I was just watching one of the 4wdtv vids on here and saw a segment where they were fitting 35's to a GU and said with lift you can but need either a radius arm spacer kit or longer radius arms themselves to stop scrubbing and breaking guards, They did not however say how big the lift needs to be to start with? I run 33 MTZ's now and under big flex (for standard hight) it already scrubs. My question is, is a 2" lift enough with the Radius arms/ spacer kit enough to accomidate the 35's?????
    Thanks Patroler's
    fits a piece of cake mine run just fine
    HELL NO !!!!!!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to nowoolies For This Useful Post:

Ben81C (27th March 2012)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Campatrol View Post
    I have the same problem as you mate I run a 2inch ome and 33 in tyres.. Even with mudflaps off it scrubs on full lock on flat ground.. My ome kit is only 12 months old and I think it's sagged..had to put coil spacers in the front just to get some more lift back!good shocks but rubbish coils!
    Hi Mate welcome to the forum. Head over the the Introductions an post up an intro, we like folks to say g'day.

to your post.. Old Man Emu are World Class mate. Probably the BEST coils you can buy over the counter in Australia if not around the World. you will be very hard pressed to better them for quality. Short of going high end custom loops you bought the best.

If your coils have sagged then take the car back to the dealer that fitted them and ask for an assessment. It is a 2" lift but you should expect, regardless of the brand of coil some relaxing of the height in the first 12 months.

If you have issues with your tyres scrubbing on flat ground on full lock is has NOTHING to do with your coils mate. You could have a 10" lift and you would get the same result. Your front diff has a steering lock screw on the back side of the Swivel hub that limits the steering lock. this should be in position and adjusted depending on your tyre size. does it happen on full lock in both directions? You might be missing one of the screws. Nothing to do with your Old Man Emu mate. Check the screws, they look like the screws on the back scraper of the swivel hub but they have a double nut and lock in set positions. Really easy to loose though.

I bet your scrubbing on your radius arms??
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!

The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben81C View Post
    I was just watching one of the 4wdtv vids on here and saw a segment where they were fitting 35's to a GU and said with lift you can but need either a radius arm spacer kit or longer radius arms themselves to stop scrubbing and breaking guards, They did not however say how big the lift needs to be to start with? I run 33 MTZ's now and under big flex (for standard hight) it already scrubs. My question is, is a 2" lift enough with the Radius arms/ spacer kit enough to accomidate the 35's?????
    Thanks Patroler's
    Hey Ben my response above was to your post regarding the rear inner guard scrub. i had not really read your original post mate until Woolies pasted it. If you have scrubbing at the back of the front guards then radius spacers will help allot. I ran 35s and a 2" lift on the GQ for a long time, they scrubbed occasionally when hitting stuff hard, when i bought new rubber i noticed that they scrubbed a fair bit more without the spacers but there was allot of rubber on a new 35. Even with 35mm spring spacers i scrubbed, fit the radius arm spacers and that will make a fair difference. Remove the mud flaps too.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast