User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: NissanPatrol.com.au club?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i really like the idea.... only downfull i can see is there are quite a few people on here that are already committed to a certain 4wd club, would that start to strain a few loyalties???
    i cant wait to be out on a track and run into someone else with a nissan patrol sticker..... i am always looking!!!

Scotty

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 2,206 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver View Post
    What follows are just my musings, and I do not intend to get up anyone's nose :-)

Unincorporated associations have joint and several liability, although commonly people looking to sue go for office bearers/committee members, and presumably anyone who looks like they have a few bucks.

The minute this forum looks like an unincorporated association, I am out of here. As it is the trips and get togethers make me slightly nervous.

If you are looking at going down the incorporated club process, then there are fees and constitutions and compulsory insurance and all that stuff. If that happens, can we please give the constitutional issues to a sub committee who really care about fighting about that stuff, and leave the fun stuff for the rest? I saw a major club in NSW in the '70s nearly fall over because meetings got bogged down in constitutional issues that only a small, but exceptionally dedicated group gave a fig about.

Speaking only for myself, if I wanted to join a club, I'd join one of the excellent ones that are already up and running.
    Top post mate mate and not getting up anyone's nose I'd reckon - like the thought and knowing your history, the subtle promotion of thought for things other than simple "that'd be great".

Have to ask though - why the concern over current trips etc? The forum is simply a form of communication media no different to texting or the telephone itself (at this stage) and subsequently, any participation in a trip is voluntary, unsolicited, and without arbitrary requisites that would constitute liability on any individual other than the owner (so long as we're travelling to "legal" locations), so enlighten myself, and others I'm sure, on the risk??

Genuine question as you know I love this sort of stuff, and quite frankly, always wanting to hear the 'other side' of any discussion.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigrig View Post
    snip...
    Is there precedence of a club 'starting' life initially as an online forum?
    Substitue "from" for "as" and that is almost exactly how the Western Patrol Club formed.

Couple of people with Patrols having a chat at a popular spot... post on Patrol 4X4 Forum seeking EOI and advertising an informal meet up to appoint a mob to get it happening and... voila... our 4th Birthday was 2 months ago.

Having a lot of years experience in the world of Incorporated Associations if I may offer a word or three of advice.
    Do NOT even go ANY further than EOI without incorporating.
    Public Liability Insurance can be suprisingly affordable (expect a number around $20 to $40 per member depending) but is only a small part of the heartaches in setting up a Club.

A few IMHO's if I may...
    I agree with Silver in that joining an existing 'local' Club is prob preferable.
    I'd let the Forum be the Forum, proudly wack up a sticker or whatever if you wish.
    Running a national club with state chapters will be a huge administrative task to comply with legislation etc so unless some very dedicated and knowledgeable people step up it will be tough.
    I guarantee there will inevitably be a poo fight at some point between Forumites who don't want to be Clubbies and Clubbies who develop a sense of "ownership" of the Forum... sure the Mods can stamp it out but nobody wins if it happens.
    It will be almost impossible to get a Club Conny that has the same objectives as the Forum, one is an association of equals and the other is a vision of an owner administered by appointed Mods.

Bottom Line (again IMHO)
    If one was to try and do it I would advocate the best way is set up a Club as a totally seperate legal entity but with a memo of understanding between the Forum owner and the Club regards use of Letterhead, Logos, Forum Content etc etc. IE try and make the two as seamless as possible.

Me, I like it the way it is but no biggee and I have enough on my plate as a member of one Club
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

5. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

AB (22nd March 2012), Clunk (23rd March 2012), GUtsy ute (22nd March 2012), Sir Roofy (24th March 2012), twisty (26th March 2012), Woof (23rd March 2012), Yendor (22nd March 2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 20,715 Times in 8,559 Posts
    Mentioned
    579 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    the best way is set up a Club as a totally seperate legal entity but with a memo of understanding between the Forum owner and the Club
    I like this sentence the best ET.....100% agree with your post and especially this bit!!!....lol

Thanks
    Thanked 2,206 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the evil twin View Post
    Substitue "from" for "as" and that is almost exactly how the Western Patrol Club formed.

Couple of people with Patrols having a chat at a popular spot... post on Patrol 4X4 Forum seeking EOI and advertising an informal meet up to appoint a mob to get it happening and... voila... our 4th Birthday was 2 months ago.

Having a lot of years experience in the world of Incorporated Associations if I may offer a word or three of advice.
    Do NOT even go ANY further than EOI without incorporating.
    Public Liability Insurance can be suprisingly affordable (expect a number around $20 to $40 per member depending) but is only a small part of the heartaches in setting up a Club.

A few IMHO's if I may...
    I agree with Silver in that joining an existing 'local' Club is prob preferable.
    I'd let the Forum be the Forum, proudly wack up a sticker or whatever if you wish.
    Running a national club with state chapters will be a huge administrative task to comply with legislation etc so unless some very dedicated and knowledgeable people step up it will be tough.
    I guarantee there will inevitably be a poo fight at some point between Forumites who don't want to be Clubbies and Clubbies who develop a sense of "ownership" of the Forum... sure the Mods can stamp it out but nobody wins if it happens.
    It will be almost impossible to get a Club Conny that has the same objectives as the Forum, one is an association of equals and the other is a vision of an owner administered by appointed Mods.

Bottom Line (again IMHO)
    If one was to try and do it I would advocate the best way is set up a Club as a totally seperate legal entity but with a memo of understanding between the Forum owner and the Club regards use of Letterhead, Logos, Forum Content etc etc. IE try and make the two as seamless as possible.

Me, I like it the way it is but no biggee and I have enough on my plate as a member of one Club
    Full kudos to you old mate! Great post, and great food for thought.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Points well made. Its sad that clubs need to carry the responsibility for members actions, and i guess it already is to an extent, just without the legal ramifications and insurance burden on the group as a whole. Provides a platform for networking and all that.
    Great work as is i say, stickers for on road id would be pretty cool though.
    Ben

Thanks
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigrig View Post
    snip...
    Have to ask though - why the concern over current trips etc? The forum is simply a form of communication media no different to texting or the telephone itself (at this stage) and subsequently, any participation in a trip is voluntary, unsolicited, and without arbitrary requisites that would constitute liability on any individual other than the owner (so long as we're travelling to "legal" locations), so enlighten myself, and others I'm sure, on the risk??

Genuine question as you know I love this sort of stuff, and quite frankly, always wanting to hear the 'other side' of any discussion.
    Hiya Cobber,

I wasn't going to post about trips and liabilities etc but as the subject is out I gotta say I agree with Silver. There is a need to be a tad careful. There is an arguable difference between texts or phone calls between individuals known to each other and open invitations.
    Uuuummmm I'll try and explain it like this... you are going fishing.
    You ring your mates who you know and ask them to come along
    or
    You can pop an ad in the local paper which has published several letters (posts) from you in the fishing section and has even asked for your opinions on tackle tests (anyone running 34 inch Gobbledock ATZ's, what are they like?) so many readers have already formed opinions on your experience and ability to catch 10 kilo flathead.

The deal is that 999 times out of a 1000 a friendly outing will end the way it started with a heap of gratitude from the invitees. It is the 1 in 1000 that you need to have covered your ass (and donkey and mule)
    Clubs do that by Insurance and Rules.
    Individuals have to do it by using good judgement and a taddy bit of luck.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AB View Post
    I like this sentence the best ET.....100% agree with your post and especially this bit!!!....lol
    ROFL... thought you might.

If it helps anyone thinking about forming a Club... my Club is a Patrols Only club for better or worse and it works for us. Indeed we are the only single marque Club in the WA4WDA. All other Clubs have dropped particular ownership requirements but our common ground is Patrols sama sama this Forum. In our Club no Patrol means no can join.

I also believe but could be wrong that the Nissan Patrol Clubs that exist in other states are no longer single marque either. This leads me to say that if anyone wants to set up a Patrol Club, especially if you want it aligned with the Forum then I say go for it but you'll have to duke it out with AB over the fine print.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All fair and good, i was just asking, seem to have opened a bit of a can of worms.
    A shame its so complex i guess, on the other hand the forum clearly functions well as is so why push the envelope.
    From the responses it seems to me a fair bit of thought has gone into it already, perhaps in front of a fire somewhere down a track. Sounds like that's the Best place for it.
    Safe and uncomplicated.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well as much as I would be happy to have those I have met in a club withme, I think I prefer the meet ups and outings(although i haven't been on any tracks with BigRig & Duck leadingthe way) with flexible boundaries, unity in no's, and acceptance of all skill levels,models of rigs, and body shapes of humans. As we gather as friends, almost family waving the banner for this Great Forum. Which by the way supports Clubs bt allowing their word of type advertising here.

Tim
    Getting Older Is Unavoidable, Growing Up Is Optional!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast