Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Some big wet ruts + breaking my brand new snatch strap

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigMav View Post
    Watched the vid before I saw your avatar and thought that looks like Ollera Creek, then saw your in Townsville. If it is Ollera the bogholes there have claimed many many 4b's over the years. What looks like an innocent puddle will swallow your car more often than not. Heaps of cars without snorkels have been written off there. Its pretty fun though. I reckon old mate pulling you out might have been going a tad quick but its easy to say in hindsight.
    Spot on mate that is ollera. that is actually the first main bog hole you get to on your way in haha, that's the second time i've been stuck in it lol. getting my locker fitted tomorrow so i'll have to have another crack. and yeah my mate doing the snatching has a heavy foot lol
    2005 GU DX Patrol Ute TD42 coil/leaf. Front ARB Air locker-33" MTZ's-Warn winch-IPF900 HID's-Bigmouth bonnet scoop-2" Dobinson lift-3" Zorst-Boost + EGT gauges-Tuned to 13PSI-Custom steel tray-Hard Hat diff cover-Full Millweld set up coming soon

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NissanGQ4.2 View Post
    Couldn't use the Winch 2 get yourself out?
    yeah mate got out with the winch no dramas
    2005 GU DX Patrol Ute TD42 coil/leaf. Front ARB Air locker-33" MTZ's-Warn winch-IPF900 HID's-Bigmouth bonnet scoop-2" Dobinson lift-3" Zorst-Boost + EGT gauges-Tuned to 13PSI-Custom steel tray-Hard Hat diff cover-Full Millweld set up coming soon

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post

Leave the 11,000kgs snatch strap for the OKA and the F trucks mate.

By reading the thread above you should have a greater understanding of how Stuck you really were, the weights that you were dealing with and armed with this info your in a better position to make educated, informed and safe decisions about how best to extract your car. You should have winched out of that on a Double line pull, Slowly. Releasing the suction layer as you go.

How did you get out out of interest?

Using a snatch there next time maybe think about not trying to get it out on the first Hit. there would have been nothing wrong with him building up to the big one using smaller tugs to see about loosening the suction on your car. You would likely have got it out on the 5th or 6th pull i reckon.

Sorry mate, not having a go at you, that is not why you posted it up. I am a big fan of sharing info to make our hobbie safe for everyone. That is why we are all here.

Enjoy mate, Nice car. looked like fun.
    G'day mate, cheers for the link i'll definitely check it out and thanks for the tips about the 11000kg strap, i hadn't considered that. After the strap broke i just winched myself out and it was easy enough. just a single line pull nice and slow and it was all good. Cheers for the advice mate

Update: so i just read the link you posted and first off i'd like to thank you because i just realised how little i knew! i dont even want to do the maths on the bog i was in because both my rear tyres were under water! definitely a lot of extremely useful information in there and i encourage everyone to have a look at it. Thanks again!

Hally
    Last edited by HallyGUTE; 23rd March 2012 at 04:36 AM. Reason: Just read your link

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HallyGUTE For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (23rd March 2012), Tweakedoffroad (23rd March 2012)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HallyGUTE View Post
    yeah mate got out with the winch no dramas
    A snatch strap should be the last resort for freeing yourself, not least because of the dangers involved in a snatch recovery. Nonetheless, you see people resorting to snatches when 2 mins of effort with a shovel would do the trick. Not saying that the shovel would have been any good here, but the winch did the trick.

Not having a crack at you Hally, it's just a general observation about people's obsession with snatch straps
    Jon

7. The Following User Says Thank You to TheFlyingBadger For This Useful Post:

HallyGUTE (25th March 2012)

Patrol Guru
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow mate that's definatly a sneaky one
    I agree emensly with mudrunnerTd about the snatch strap the bigger the strap the bigger the force as much as nissans are strong and unbrake able it's not worth life, time and the stress when something goes wrong

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Tweakedoffroad For This Useful Post:

HallyGUTE (25th March 2012)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a very good point about multiple gentler pulls, i recently was in a situation where my GU and my cousins 100 series both got bogged, we were at zig zag on a sunday arvo heading back from a fishing trip and thought we would have a play on the way home. Both got stuck in the first bog hole (if you have driven here you will know the ones i mean) As it was a sunday we waited an hour and a half for a passing forbie, tried to snatch mine first but it did not move an inch, gave up and worked on the other, got it out finally. Mine was stuck fast and we had to give it 4 yanks before it broke the oose seal, the 5th got it moving a little and the 6th got it out. If we had tried to give it 1 massive pull i think the result would have been broken strap. Its hard to be calm and think when you have half a foot of water in your truck but this certainly worked for us. The strap in question was used 3 or 4 times after this before it was binned. All frayed and looking dodgy. Bin before hospital i reckon. Break the seal then get moving, worked for us. (then had to flat tow home behind a toyota (shame i know but home i got) as my GU went into limp mode)

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ben81C For This Useful Post:

HallyGUTE (29th March 2012), MudRunnerTD (26th March 2012)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Water ressistant hahaha

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12