Thread: How big is too big?

Thanks
    Thanked 4,041 Times in 1,746 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudSlut View Post
    Ok thanks nissannewby, I'll have to look more into these upgrades. I don't mind spending the coin if it's going to better the off road capabilities.
    gday mate . if you want better off road capabilities look at your suspension first.
    What parts make up the 8 inch lift?
    I agree with 1madengineer and think it is too big
    96 GQ coil/Cab
    08 G6eT

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has anyone mentioned braking to you, Mudslut? To get the same deceleration tyres that size would need the brakes to exert 30% more braking torque than standard wheels. You may be in really hot water, especially if you were to have an accident on the road.

07 DX CRD Auto Wagon

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes I am looking at getting some vented and x-Drilled rotors with upgraded pads also, I should have that part covered for a bit over $1,500. Is that the sort or upgrade you were talking about? I can't really see the room for bigger rotors or calipers in 16" rims... Unless there is a BIG brake kit that it can use with 16" rims???
    Matt, 91 Patrol 4 Door Ute, 8" of lift, 35's, Low ratio diffs, Spartan Front locker.
    Come Join my 4x4 club @ www.Trenchmen4x4.com
    Check out my Facebook page ----> Trenchmen 4x4 https://www.facebook.com/Trenchmen4x4

Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There is a kit getting around from a place in WA larger rotors bigger calipers etc supposedly is a much better increase than slotted/drilled and aftermarket pads

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mudslut, the kit that Nissannewby mentions sounds to me to be a better bet than the option you were considering. The way I see it your kit would be fine if you were just trying to improve braking with reasonably standard tyre diameters in say repeated braking on long downhill sections. But the large diameter tyres are going to play havoc with the "bight" of the brakes, ie your ability to stop the wheels when you stamp on the pedal. Larger diameter rotors may overcome this, but I would caution against just changing things without getting a lot of EXPERT advice.

07 DX CRD Auto Wagon

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day mate,
    In my opinion a 40 is too big for other than comp use, I run 35's all day and 37's on harder trips, braking is greatly affected with the 37's and i have upgraded to the twin piston calipers with slotted rotors. Also I am only running a 3" lift with the guards chopped (can supply pics if wanted) so 8" is abit unnecessary.
    Cheers
    Lewis

8. The Following User Says Thank You to TD_Wagon For This Useful Post:

Ben-e-boy (27th March 2012)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TD_Wagon View Post
    G'day mate,
    In my opinion a 40 is too big for other than comp use, I run 35's all day and 37's on harder trips, braking is greatly affected with the 37's and i have upgraded to the twin piston calipers with slotted rotors. Also I am only running a 3" lift with the guards chopped (can supply pics if wanted) so 8" is abit unnecessary.
    Cheers
    Lewis
    Do you have a build thread?? I'd like to see some photoes, I like the idea of small lift big tyres, that will be a good,stable rig
    96 GQ coil/Cab
    08 G6eT

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben-e-boy View Post
    Do you have a build thread?? I'd like to see some photoes, I like the idea of small lift big tyres, that will be a good,stable rig
    G'day mate,
    nah no build thread on here, cut about 100mm out of front guards, and about 30mm or so out of the rear of the rear guards and the quater chop,few pics:
    with the 37's on

front guard chop

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben-e-boy View Post
    I also like the idea of big tyres small lift, for the same reason Benny said, in that it will be a more stable rig. Big lifts IMO are only useful in slow offroad situations such as wombat holes or areas where you need great articulation on a flat surface. On any sort of inclination great articulation just becomes dangerous as the risk of rolling increases exponentially.
    They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time, it works every time.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TD_Wagon View Post
    G'day mate,
    nah no build thread on here, cut about 100mm out of front guards, and about 30mm or so out of the rear of the rear guards and the quater chop,few pics:
    with the 37's on

front guard chop
    good stuff, mine only scrub at full flex but I also run 35 on a 15x10 on a neg 44 offset. I see you run trepadores too brilliant tyre I dont know why more people dont use them
    96 GQ coil/Cab
    08 G6eT

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast