Thread: Iron man vs Tuff dog kits

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Iron man vs Tuff dog kits

Hi all, im currently scraping together for a 3 inch lift lit for my GU (aka Goldie Hornbag) i have been advised that Tuff dog 45mm adjustable shocks with matching shocks are the go, but i have seen quite a few Ironman fitted trucks lately and when i did a little research into both i discovered the Ironman gear has double the warranty, both kays and months i guess whichever comes first. I am hoping some of you with either fitted could tell me how you find them on and of road and if you have had any probs at all. Other recommendations in terms of brands i will also be greatfull for. Thanks Patrol heads
    Ben

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have tough dogs fitted in my patrol (45mm adjustables) I reckon they are great however i havent heard a bad thing about the ironman shocks the foam cell ones seem to be the way to go. I would recommend dobinson coils with either the tough dog shocks or iron man items whichever permits in your budget

4. The Following User Says Thank You to nissannewby For This Useful Post:

Ben81C (21st March 2012)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you i will look into the dobinson coils. I am thinking a 3 inch lift so i was hoping to buy an all in kit, but i guess i can just build the kit bit buy bit. I know i need to replace the panhard rod and get some other goodies to bring the steering back in line and push the diff back to original, would you recommend just getting the extras from tuff dog or iron man whichever i go with for the shocks?

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,830 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    x2 on the 45mm adjustables mine are serveing me well couldnt be happier, well i lie they could be longer !u can never have enough

7. The Following User Says Thank You to megatexture For This Useful Post:

Ben81C (21st March 2012)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you running 2" or 3"? What gear are you running apart from the shocks?
    Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Both the Iron Man and Tough dog hold a similar market share mate and will serve you well. Not a big fan of adjustables and the average punter right through to very experienced punter will likely, at best, guess what is the best adjustment and likely rarely ever adjust again? The Iron man is a variable valved foam cell shock so would likely get my vote there. If your budget allows you cant go past Old Man Emu though mate. Simply a Cut above.

As for the rest of the stuff you need... Give much thought to whether you go 2" or 3" as the list gets a bit bigger with a 3" lift and will cost you quite a bit more to setup over a standard 2' lift.

So why do you want the extra Inch??

2" lift you will need 4 x Springs & 4 x Shocks. Fit in your driveway in 3 to 4 hours if your handy.

a 3" lift you will need a little bit more but not as bad as a 4" lift.

A 3" lift you will need the following extra:
    1 x Brake line for the back and fit the old back to the front.
    Some kind of Caster correction. I Highly recommend 3" Drop Boxes over any other style of caster correction. Simply Awesome.
    You will almost certainly NOT need adjustable Panard rods. dont buy these until you fit the kit and are absolutely sure you need them. I doubt you will.
    Being a GU with a drivers airbag you will need an adjustable Drag Link to reset the steering wheel back into central position.
    1 x Brake Bias Plate.

That list will likely add $600 to $700 to the cost of your lift over a 2Inch kit.

Going a 4" kit and you will spend that $700 again on adjustable Panards front and back and adjustable upper rear control arms.

Hope that helps. Think about why you need the lift to figure out how high you want to go.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

Ben81C (22nd March 2012), butters (22nd March 2012)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers for that MudRunner. I'm looking at just a 2", with Tough Dog @ $990. EFS @ $950 & Ironman @ $770....thoughts? And the 2" Flexy coil lift thrown in there to mix things up, from Suspension Stuff @ $990....

Thanks
    Thanked 2,206 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by butters View Post
    Cheers for that MudRunner. I'm looking at just a 2", with Tough Dog @ $990. EFS @ $950 & Ironman @ $770....thoughts? And the 2" Flexy coil lift thrown in there to mix things up, from Suspension Stuff @ $990....
    Having seen Adam's 2" flexi setup first hand (dhuck's brother), I would say its the go ... Amazing handling and flex from a small lift.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like my sills and really its to get up and away from it all and also the further up the bigger the Tyre so diffs up correspondingly. (also they just look awesome) thank you for the tip on the panards i have been told with a 3" lift i would have to fit them, that's as you say a big chunk left in the wallet, go close to paying for bar work. Thank you very much. Great advice

Thanks
    Thanked 6,883 Times in 3,670 Posts
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    Both the Iron Man and Tough dog hold a similar market share mate and will serve you well. Not a big fan of adjustables and the average punter right through to very experienced punter will likely, at best, guess what is the best adjustment and likely rarely ever adjust again? The Iron man is a variable valved foam cell shock so would likely get my vote there. If your budget allows you cant go past Old Man Emu though mate. Simply a Cut above.

As for the rest of the stuff you need... Give much thought to whether you go 2" or 3" as the list gets a bit bigger with a 3" lift and will cost you quite a bit more to setup over a standard 2' lift.

So why do you want the extra Inch??

2" lift you will need 4 x Springs & 4 x Shocks. Fit in your driveway in 3 to 4 hours if your handy.

a 3" lift you will need a little bit more but not as bad as a 4" lift.

A 3" lift you will need the following extra:
    1 x Brake line for the back and fit the old back to the front.
    Some kind of Caster correction. I Highly recommend 3" Drop Boxes over any other style of caster correction. Simply Awesome.
    You will almost certainly NOT need adjustable Panard rods. dont buy these until you fit the kit and are absolutely sure you need them. I doubt you will.
    Being a GU with a drivers airbag you will need an adjustable Drag Link to reset the steering wheel back into central position.
    1 x Brake Bias Plate.

That list will likely add $600 to $700 to the cost of your lift over a 2Inch kit.

Going a 4" kit and you will spend that $700 again on adjustable Panards front and back and adjustable upper rear control arms.

Hope that helps. Think about why you need the lift to figure out how high you want to go.
    I have two mates in GQs with 3 inch lift and neither have extended brake lines? They have no problem, but we don't do crazy rock crawling articulation.

tappa slappn about
    Hello from Under Down Under!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast